WOT: Worst Pro Sports Team Names

ispunk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

San Jose Earthquakes soccer team. Really? Are they just trying to be ironic or what? That name is gonna be pretty
:facepalm:
when the big one hits the bay area. Thankfully it's only soccer (or football for the rest of you) so no one in the US is going to notice anyway.

pmlb2-4687922reg.jpg

Not even the worst name in their league.

175px-Sportingkansascity.png

I'd also allow Real Salt Lake, C.D. Chivas USA, and the New York Red Bulls.

• Members

I always thought the Cincinnati Reds was super lame.

My hometown has a hockey team called the Toledo Walleye :freak:We also have the Toledo Mudhens...

toledo-walleye-2000-10.gif

I think Black Soxs and/or Red Soxs are worse names. But then again I'm a Reds fan. :o

I probably prefer Walleye instead of Storm though. I know Storm sounds more menacing, but it also sounds kind of like a WNBA team. At least Walleye has some regional meaning.

I use to live in Dayton and always the best games to go to were either the Storm or the Columbus Chill.

• Members

Denver Nuggets always made me think of "butt nuggets"

BTW, FWIW, there is local/historical significance to the Fort Wayne "Mad Ants"

Mad Anthony Wayne was this psychotic revolutionary general who fought like a mad man against the Redcoats.

"Mad Anthony" = "Mad Ants"

• Members

My hometown minor league baseball team:

Fort+Wayne+Tin+Caps.jpg

and, when you thought it couldn't get any worse, my hometown minor league baseketball team:

mad_ants.jpg

"Tin Caps" isn't particularly cool, but "Mad Ants" is nothing but great. It would be great just as a reference to angry insects, even without the Anthony Wayne connection.

My favorite sports team is the Elizabeth City State University (formerly "Negro Normal School") Vikings.

• Members

Back in the 80's and 90's, my uncle worked for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Before the first 2 cups, there was talk about changing the name. Some thought that a penguin depicted a sloppy, clumsy animal. Winning 2 cups changed that.

• Members

I just got back from a minor league baseball game between the Nashville Sounds and the Albuquerque Isotopes.
:lol:

sweet, the brewers AAA club... did Grienke pitch? how did nyger morgan do? both should be called up this next week...

Archived