OT: IT'S TIME... Who are you voting for ... ???

Diametro

• Members

Actually, you would impose your views upon your fellow americans if you could.

That is why you get the sort of responses you see here.

Why don't you get it?
:confused:

You're the one who doesn't get it.

First of all, you cannot punish someone for an imaginary crime. In the same way, you cannot tell me I deserve punishment for something I'd do if supposedly I could :rolleyes: despite me saying the only thing I'm doing is voting and I'm not making anyone do anything because of some mythical Force. This isn't Star Wars :rolleyes:

Looks like you already condemned me for blowing up imaginary abortion clinics and stuff, why not condemn me to the death penalty already? :rolleyes:

None of the pro-choice people would force your wife to have an abortion.

But you want to take their wives right to have one away from then.

Simply based on how you interprete an almost 2000 year old book.

I don't interpret it, I believe in it.

You talk about the rights of the mother, I talk about the rights of the other human being involved.

And BTW, there isn't just one god
:)
There are many, ask the Hindus.

Or disprove them
:D

I'll let God do that, thanks.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think that you realize that it isn't enough to simply declare that there is a 'large group' (which I'd doubt) of scientists who believe that you can prove God's existence on a blackboard. Certainly the majority of scientists don't believe this, and I'd wager that the vast majority of philosophers would maintain that the notion is philosophically incoherent.

just saying that I am not alone-that is all-

Bostrom's work is well regarded by other philosophers- the Simulation Hypothesis is not considered incoherent- it's biggest critics usually jsut assert that the first position is correct: "(1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a

• Members

really? cause im willing to bet that if you sold all the gear you listed in your avatar, you could save a couple lives or 5 in africa by nutritional value via food donations. with all due respect, your statement seems unlikely/bs. you could be doing a world of good if you just sold the computer you are on.

You don't know what I give and who I give it to.

Also, why would I sell my work computer, if I'm against stealing? :confused:

not trying to be smart, just saying what seems true/obvious. i have no qualms admitting my participation in a capitalist society that inherently looks out for itself.

oh, and here's another thing about abortion, and it applies to things like drug use and pre-marital sex, as well:

acting like these things can be dealt with by outlawing them denies the fact that people are going to do them regardless of law. its a basic fact that it just plain does not address the inevitability of them occurring.

Apples and oranges. I'm talking about murder.

And the bible does have a say in these other things too, and to some of them those who do what's wrong bring judgement on themselves. And drugs are already illegal, in case you didn't notice :rolleyes:

• Members

Bostrom's work is well regarded by other philosophers- the Simulation Hypothesis is not considered incoherent- it's biggest critics usually jsut assert that the first position is correct: "(1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a

• Members

And the bible does have a say in these other things too, and to some of them those who do what's wrong bring judgement on themselves.

yeah- for instance I married my wife and she wasn't a virgin- but I failed to stone her to death- so I am already damned to hell

Deuteronomy 22:13-21

but even THAT didn't matter- you see I was born out of wedlock- I am a bastard- which means that no matter what I ever did I was damned and so are my grandchildren out to ten generations :cry:Deuteronomy 23:2

BTW- about 99.9999% of the population is either a bastard or has one i n their bloodline within ten generations- we will all have fun in Hell together!! :wave:

• Members

yeah- for instance I married my wife and she wasn't a virgin- but I failed to stone her to death- so I am already damned to hell

Deuteronomy 22:13-21

but even THAt didn't matter- you see I was born out of wedlock- I am a bastard- which means that no matter what I ever did I was damned and so are my grandchildren out to ten generations
:cry:
Deuteronomy 23:2

FAIL.

The new covenant substituted the old covenant. It's in the bible, but apparently you only want to read some parts of it and not all of it.

• Members

ok:
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9904050

Looks like a type of stuff that university students in math do when they have too much free time. However, i'm more interested in the physics of this problem:

Is there enough energy in observable universe to run "quantum simulation of the whole cosmos"?

I'd be glad to see this paper and its conclusions.

• Members

FAIL.

The new covenant substituted the old covenant. It's in the bible, but apparently you only want to read some parts of it and not all of it.

are you joking?

NOW you decide to play picksies-and-choosies with the Holy Bible?

BTW- I have read the entire bible- and in the original Hebrew/Greek to boot [it is a requirement in the lower grades of the O.'.T.'.O.'.]

• Members

You're the one who doesn't get it.

First of all, you cannot punish someone for an imaginary crime. In the same way, you cannot tell me I deserve punishment for something I'd do if supposedly I could
:rolleyes:
despite me saying the only thing I'm doing is voting and I'm not making anyone do anything because of some mythical Force. This isn't Star Wars

Where have i ever talked about punishment?

And force is not an abstract phenomenon - a very common use of force is jailing people.

Looks like you already condemned me for blowing up imaginary abortion clinics and stuff, why not condemn me to the death penalty already?

I don't think i thave condemned you - however, i do not hide that fact that i do not like religious people that want to force (yes, that word again) me to live according to their beliefs.

I don't interpret it, I believe in it.

You talk about the rights of the mother, I talk about the rights of the other human being involved.

IF there is in fact another human, and FYI that is not an universally accepted fact, but rather you expressing your beliefs.

I'll let God do that, thanks.

No, YOU do it.

In these religious dicussions most of you christians always ask atheists to prove that there is no god, now i am asking you to prove that there are not many gods.

I mean, if there is one, why not many?

Could the Hindus be right?

• Members

And the bible does have a say in these other things too, and to some of them those who do what's wrong bring judgement on themselves.

Bible was written by man.

• Man is made by 5 imperfect senses connected to a brain (which is imperfect too, forgets stuff and makes mistakes).

:cop:

Nothing against religion. But these above are the facts.

• Members

• Members

despite me saying the only thing I'm doing is voting and I'm not making anyone do anything because of some mythical Force. This isn't Star Wars

If you're voting for the anti-choice candidate, and they outlaw abortion, then anyone who voted for that candidate can be at least indirectly blamed for forcing their views on the rest of us.

But, like I said, this whole abortion thing is nothing compared to the other baggage that our anti-choice candidate and his scatterbrained wingnut sidekick brings to the table.

why not condemn me to the death penalty already?

If McCranky and Wingnut win, they gain access to the nuke button, possibly condeming all of us to the death penalty. And even if they don't, 4 more years of neocon policy will reduce this once-great country into a 3rd world wasteland, with all our jobs shipped overseas, trillions in debt we'll never be able to repay, and the healthcare crisis will make "death by coat hanger" seem like the better choice...

And for the record, I did vote, first thing this morning! :D