Acoustic guitars tick me off.

mrweems

• Members

You want a J-45 but would consider a Taylor?

Thats like wanting a vintage Les Paul but settling for a Charvel.

Want j45, can't afford said j45. the only ones i'm finding these days are sub 60' mint or just trash. I did play an overpriced 70s j45 deluxe the other day that was nice. That's the main problem, they are all in stores and they wont take trades, wont haggle, and if its consignment most definatly wont go down even a cent. I refuse to buy a vintage guitar on ebay.

I've played enough acoustics in the past few months to realize that there are other options for a similar tone. It would be nice to have a 65' J45 so my e-peen can enlarge. But it's not necessary.

Mostly i'm looking for playablity, price, and then tone. Then small features after that. I love the way that Taylor incorporates their onboard electronics. And every taylor neck i've played has been a dream.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Look into USA Breedlove too; they'll have some older models with hog instead of Sapele, in the same vein as Larivee.

Oh, and I know it won't help, but I got my DN-5 for $1100. :cop: Well, plus a couple bucks now for the Ebony tuner keys.

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

• Members

I've heard a lot of conflicting info as to what he played on that album. Overall it sounds like he had a few guitars in his arsenal or at least here and there but his main guitar throughout his recording years was his Guild from all counts. I've heard one account from someone who owned it after Nick died was that he got the D28 after Pink Moon possibly selling the Guild to pay for it. Richard Thompson (who knows guitars) said he never saw Nick without his Guild in the studio. I guess we'll never know for certain as Nick can't tell us from where he's at now.
:(

Right on. I think he could have made anything sound good.

• Members

The only cheap alternative that has that gibson thud that I've played is an epi masterbuilt. If there were ever two acoustics that have opposite sounds it would be a gibson and a taylor.

Listen to Rambo, or he'll sneek up on you in the forest and kill you.

• Members

DSCN3588.jpg

mannn, you missed out.

Back in the late 90's/early 00's, Larrivee was readily stocked and easily found in any Sam Ash. They make some outstanding instruments for the money.

This is an OM01. For some reason i cannot find any backstory or info on it. All I know is that it has a Sitka Spruce top, Solid mahogany back/sides, ebony fretboard/bridge and headstock overlay, Whitebinding on neck, Black on body. I bought it from a family friend for $400 with a Martin OM Case. The singer for my band has one of those Martin DCMEs or something... has been trouble since day 1, until he finally brought it to a proper luthier to get setup. Still, this OM plays and sounds better than that thing @ less than the $1k he spent on his acoustic. It has the warmth and familiar body shape of a Martin, which i prefer to the super-bright tone of a Taylor.

There are many many alternatives to your Gibson J-45 GAS dilemma.

besides the fantasy-world event of me buying a Gibson Blues King, I don't want another acoustic! :thu:

• Members

last few posts in here have really delivered.

So, the trade being proposed is a 2005 MIA Taylor 210... For my sheraton.. I was thinking it was going to be something like this, but it doesn't even have the electronics.

So i'm stuck with that failure of a decision. Trade a "mod'd" guitar for something that is a few steps below what i want" or hold out sell it for cash and put it towards that.

• Members
DSCN3588.jpg

mannn, you missed out.

Back in the late 90's/early 00's, Larrivee was readily stocked and easily found in any Sam Ash. They make some outstanding instruments for the money.

This is an OM01. For some reason i cannot find any backstory or info on it. All I know is that it has a Sitka Spruce top, Solid mahogany back/sides, ebony fretboard/bridge and headstock overlay, Whitebinding on neck, Black on body. I bought it from a family friend for $400 with a Martin OM Case. The singer for my band has one of those Martin DCMEs or something... has been trouble since day 1, until he finally brought it to a proper luthier to get setup. Still, this OM plays and sounds better than that thing @ less than the $1k he spent on his acoustic. It has the warmth and familiar body shape of a Martin, which i prefer to the super-bright tone of a Taylor.

There are many many alternatives to your Gibson J-45 GAS dilemma.

besides the fantasy-world event of me buying a Gibson Blues King, I don't want another acoustic!
:thu:

:eek:

{censored}. ugh... want hard.

• Members

What about this.

Trade sheraton that i've moded for Taylor 210.

Play it.

Save a $1000

Sell 210.

But awesome-o acoustic.

Obviously the taylor would sell quicker than the sheraton at how much i'm asking for it. I've had a lot of interest but no one committing.

• Members

What about this.

Trade sheraton that i've moded for Taylor 210.

Play it.

Save a $1000

Sell 210.

But awesome-o acoustic.

Obviously the taylor would sell quicker than the sheraton at how much i'm asking for it. I've had a lot of interest but no one committing.

Lower asking price sell sheraton, buy what you really want... better in the long run...

• Members

Lower asking price sell sheraton, buy what you really want... better in the long run...

See that's the messed up part.

I've had easily over 10-15 people interested in the guitar. Not ONE person has tried to haggle with me.

• Members

what about a gibson wm-45? i know where you can find one....
:o

Someone mentioned that earlier i think.

The main issue at the moment is lack of funds. I can't afford a guitar at the moment. I'm doing research and.. stuff...

I want to play what i'm buying. Know what to expect. Know what not to expect.

This trade came out of no where and i think i'm going to do it. It'll cost me about 60 in gas and an interesting drive with the gf. I'll be sure to document this if it goes down.

The thing is. I sold a decent Takamine acoustic, ended up buying recording gear. Still want a GOOD acoustic and i'm selling my alvarez el-cheapo once this trade goes down (hopefully.) I hate my alvarez. IN dire need of a set up but its not worth the expense imo.

Archived