Acoustic guitars tick me off.

mrweems

• Members

Your friend has great taste and deep pockets.

his father is a guitar collector. now that his son plays seriously they can both justify spending bank on guitars.

their collection is awesome. 2 50's lg-0's, a 50's 00-17, a stella 12 string with a huge v neck, a cole clark, a 60's d-18, an ancient gibson a style mandolin, the list goes on and on.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

his father is a guitar collector. now that his son plays seriously they can both justify spending bank on guitars.

their collection is awesome. 2 50's lg-0's, a 50's 00-17, a stella 12 string with a huge v neck, a cole clark, a 60's d-18, an ancient gibson a style mandolin, the list goes on and on.

Very nice! I would rock that EC sig Martin no matter who's name was on it (I'm not really a big EC fan). Just a beautiful guitar, tight feel, excellent projection. :love:

• Members

It's not 'TOO'' bad..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taylor-DN5-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-w-Hardshell-Case-/220792393332?pt=Guitar&hash=item3368408e74#ht_500wt_1156

This is on ebay at the moment. I'm planning on this being my final "acoustic" i don't like having more than 1 acoustic.

• Members

Well yeah! Haha...the Masterbilts are fantastic, but a Taylor sounds way better! They're also $1500 more hahaha.

If you want "Taylor tone", you're gonna pay for it.

also in GC used section and ebay. There are the lower models of the two that i mentioned earlier that are under $900.

• Members

You do realize that you just posted the step below guitars that i'm interested in?

Do you realize that 1-2 year old Larrivee 03 series guitars are made of mahogany and not sapele? If you can find a few years old used D-03 you'd be set. Try over on the Larrivee guitar forum. There's a used D-03 with a K&K Pure Western Mini installed for $700 at the moment over there:

larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=36020.0

• Members

Do you realize that 1-2 year old Larrivee 03 series guitars are made of mahogany and not sapele? If you can find a few years old used D-03 you'd be set. Try over on the Larrivee guitar forum. There's a used D-03 with a K&K Pure Western Mini installed for $700 at the moment over there:

larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=36020.0

if i only had the spare cash on hand. would in like. now.

• Members

if i only had the spare cash on hand. would in like. now.

That's about the going price on a used 03 Larrivee over there. Maybe sometimes they get up to $800, but a lot of those guys bought Larrivees when they were significantly cheaper than they are now (2-3 years ago, exactly what you want), so when they sell them used, they don't ask for a ton of money for them. When you've got the cash give that forum a look again. Good deals to be had on Larrivees over there fairly often.

• Members

Be careful buying acoustics that old over the internet. They often need neck resets to be playable if they're that inexpensive and those can set you back upwards of $300. elderly.com is a great place to find used/vintage acoustics though.

Which is the exact reason why i'm going against the concept of vintage gibson. and i'm sure as hell not buying new gibson.

• Members

Basically.

I want Dreadnaught.

Sitka top.

Mahogany back and sides.

Nothing fancy.

clear coat on top.

Bone nut and the works..

Badass tuners.

Taylor DN5 - $2,100

Larrivee D-05 - $1800

I " want " to spend $800-1000.

*oh and blueridge are the most gawdy mother {censored}ing acoustics i've ever seen. I really want to know what their design team were smoking, and are continuously smoking that they think that was a good decision. But yes they sound great.

A J-45 isn't a dread.

• Members
what acoustics are in your herd? Is that one? can i see a pix?

I have a '94 Gibson Gospel - spruce top, mahogany back/sides.

94GibsonGospel.jpg

It's an okay guitar, nothing really special about it except that it is incredibly loud due to the arched back (no bracing - like an acoustic version of an ES-175).

I want a Guild. Every Guild I've ever played sounded great, albeit they were all righty. It's impossible to find decent used lefties anywhere.

You should wait until you get to Nashville - there will be a metric {censored} ton of cheap decent acoustics to choose from there.

• Members

Well this thread went into a direction i wasn't expecting.

Why all the dreadnaught hate?

Haters gonna hate..

no dread hate here. i love how 000's feel but that just don't have the headroom. dread or jumbo is the way to go IMO.

• Members

If you want mahogany, i have a martin D18 thats awesome. As funny as it is one of the best hog guitars i have ever played was actually a Sheryl Crow sig.... no joke. Amazing sounding gibson style acoustic. If i was to buy another acoustic that what it would be.

• Members

I have a '94 Gibson Gospel - spruce top, mahogany back/sides.

94GibsonGospel.jpg

It's an okay guitar, nothing really special about it except that it is incredibly loud due to the arched back (no bracing - like an acoustic version of an ES-175).

I want a Guild. Every Guild I've ever played sounded great, albeit they were all righty. It's impossible to find decent used lefties anywhere.

You should wait until you get to Nashville - there will be a metric {censored} ton of cheap decent acoustics to choose from there.

that's the plan dear sir.

save up a {censored} ton of cash.

move

buy craigslist furniture

get a UA 2610 / Royer / Acoustic

That said i need like 2 wedding gigs and a side job for all this to happen.

• Members
the general consensus is that drake recording pink moon with a D-28
:idk:

I've heard a lot of conflicting info as to what he played on that album. Overall it sounds like he had a few guitars in his arsenal or at least here and there but his main guitar throughout his recording years was his Guild from all counts. I've heard one account from someone who owned it after Nick died was that he got the D28 after Pink Moon possibly selling the Guild to pay for it. Richard Thompson (who knows guitars) said he never saw Nick without his Guild in the studio. I guess we'll never know for certain as Nick can't tell us from where he's at now. :(

Archived