Acoustic guitars tick me off.

mrweems

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that would be Martin?

I lust after a d28. and that's all i've really researched.

And to those preaching : specs over playability.

When i say specs, i want specific specs for a specific sound. I've played all the different variations of the Dreadnaught and i find to my ears the sitka/mahogany to be the most pleasing.

just get a 70's d-28. it will run you 16-1800 and it will sound fantastic.

but i agree with looking at 00/000 body sized guitars. much better feeling, better looking (though i do like dreadnoughts), and the bass is much less overbearing. and in every case, see if you can find a vintage one. imo, acoustic guitars sound better with age if they're kept well.

edit: if you're willing to spend $4000, a 40's martin or santa cruz will do the trick in a pinch :thu:

• Members

First off. Nick drake played a guild and his entire guitar was made out of mahogany...

True but it was an 00/000/OM style guitar (Guild M20) made out of mahogany. It is said he hardly ever changed the strings which adds to the thuddy sound you're hearing. With a spruce top and new strings they sing and are just mellow enough to hear a singer over it unplugged but still letting you dig in. Unless your singer has the pipes a dreadnought will blow them out of the water without a PA.

• Members

Mr weems, I have mahogany martin, $400... Its a nice one. Where are looking at these guitar center?

I.think they can be had for well under a $1,000. Any pawn shops close by?

lol, i live in Mississippi fella.

Pawnshops consist of Line 6 amps and squiers.

• Members

You're spitting some hate too dude...peeps are just trying to help you out.

I second the Masterbilt Epiphone....it's got EVERYTHING you want sans the bone nut in your price range. Get a bone nut made for $60 or so and you're in business. I like dreadnoughts myself...

But acoustics are expensive....labor intensive and complicated to make.

• Members

You're spitting some hate too dude...peeps are just trying to help you out.

I second the Masterbilt Epiphone....it's got EVERYTHING you want sans the bone nut in your price range. Get a bone nut made for $60 or so and you're in business. I like dreadnoughts myself...

But acoustics are expensive....labor intensive and complicated to make.

I never once said, 00/000 suck. I didn't know what their existence meant. I'm still confused, martins site wasn't very helpful.

All i'm saying is, i said dreadnaught, and i know what i'm looking for in parts. And i just don't understand the high price point. And maybe i missed something and someone could point me in the correct direction.

I'll probably flame out and get either the Taylor DN5/Larrivee D05 when i move. Though the pickup situation on the taylor is more cohesive with its design.

• Members

I never once said, 00/000 suck. I didn't know what their existence meant. I'm still confused, martins site wasn't very helpful.

Head up to a guitar store that has one of those Eric Clapton 000 sig Martins. Not to buy, just to play and you'll understand. ;)

• Members

Yeah there's a lot of models lower than the Masterbilts

To each his own I guess

Like i said, could have been one under the ''masterbuilt'' i'm not sure its been a while.

All i remember is putting it down and picking up a taylor and thinking. yup {censored} that epi.

I'm also going for a specific sound. Not all the brands and styles of the dreadnaughts with spruce/mah are going to bear the same results. Why i stated larrivee and taylor in the OP was b/c of how they sound. Every taylor or larrivee i've played sounds huge + the top end is shimmery and the bottom is warm and just resonates so beautifully\n

:edit: also should note, the martin d28 i recently played made my pants a little moist.

Archived