So what's the closest thing to an Echoplex in a pedal?

Fusion1

• Members

Been listening to Tommy Bolin and his use of the Echoplex back then was pretty groundbreaking. Would like to have a pedal that can recreate those tones. We should have the technology some 35+ years later, no?

Take your pick: Strymon El Capistan or Skreddy Echo. Each takes a different approach at the "tape delay" thing, but both sound excellent. It really comes down to the type of features that are most important to you. The El Cap does more / varied styles of tape delay (models 3 machine types) vs only one for the Skreddy. The El Cap has tap tempo, but the Skreddy has an effects loop, etc. etc.

• Members

Between the Skrecho and El Cap, I found the El cap to be prettier and more ethereal sounding. The Skrecho, which I kept, just had a deeper and more moody vibe. Although, I barely explored the El Cap's functionality.

Guest Guest

I liked the El Cap more than the Skrecho. Skrecho shares filtering characteristics with the BJF-related delays - First Echo on the Moon, Deep Blue Delay, etc. Cuts off some of the lows in the repeats, grinds a certain way, don't care for 'em. I'm definitely in the minority, though.

The El Cap kind of sat weirdly in the mix no matter how I set it (I thought), but I really liked the character of the repeats, the way they'd degrade, etc.

I don't usually get along all that well with digital delay pedals, got rid of both. :idk:

• Members

Take a look at the Wampler Faux Echo, it's amazing!

The Akai Headrush does the tape echo thing very well, too. And a lot of other stuff.

+1 on the Wampler... Or is it just that damn Illithid making me say that?! Damn you mind control!

• Members

The El Cap sounds really good. I haven't heard either it nor an Echoplex in person, but it certainly sounds good in the recording...

That said though, the El Cap doesn't simulate the Echoplex preamp, does it? Being the big part of the sound that it is, I would think that you'd want something that does. I imagine that stacking one of those ClinchFX EP-PRE pedals with the El Cap might be the closest that you'll get to an actual EP-3?

Archived