Not bonding with the PS-5?

JMR

• Members

Any suggestions for me to get the best sound out of this? It's just not working out. The octave up harmonizing sounds really cheesy. The whammy style effects sound neat, but when they're engaged, the latency drives me nuts. Anything I should check out on this pedal that might dissuade me from flipping it?

I'll probably get a tremolo or a micro POG if I do.

• Members

It's good for using it exactly like a whammy pedal, ie bends and gliding pitch bends. Also it stacks pretty well with other pedals to get different sounds, I'm fond of the octave up plus fuzz plus playing in a low register to emulate horn sounds.

• Members

Yeah, you don't need a TBL for the PS-6, but It's definitely helpful with the PS-5.

So the 6 doesn't have the latency issues that the 5 has?

I tried the 6 once on a Boss easel and thought I noticed some latency.

I didn't find the 2 part harmony and the S bend useful, but I like that it's a more flexible pitch shifter.

• Members

The only octave up that ISN'T cheesy is on the pitchfactor, and even then it's close.

HOG/POG are less ridic sounding than Boss octave up, but still sounds fake and brittle. I just mix mine so it's as subtle as possible. :idk:

• Members

Yeah, you don't need a TBL for the PS-6, but It's definitely helpful with the PS-5.

respond when you can hammer man

respond when you can hammer man

Sorry. :o

Yes, the 6 has some latency - any digital pedal with an A/D converter will have some - but it doesn't automatically have to be noticeable. It has never really bothered me with the PS-6, but it was worse on the 5 IMO. Also, the 5 sounded god-awful in a couple of modes, or when bypassed; the converters in the PS-6 are worlds better.

Any time you try to pitch shift more than a few steps, it's going to get tweazy and funky sounding. Right now, there's really no way around that. Yes, putting dirt after the PS-5 (or 6, or Whammy version of your choice) helps, but the further you shift pitch, the worse (more un-natural) it's going to sound.

• Members

The only time that the latency noticeably got in the way on the PS-5 was when I used it for bass divebombs in the studio. :) Such a great thing with the right speakers.

Need to just stick it in a loop I guess.

I actually notice the latency vary depending on where I put it in the chain. Is that possible?

Otherwise to me, for controlled Whammy effects, and that unlatching flutter mode vibrato, I like the PS-5 a lot.

Archived