It's not a speaker tear so what could it be?

JMR

• Members

I thought that the speaker (WGS Green Beret) in my Peavey Classic 30 was torn. Seemed like the only explanation for the rattling buzzy noise I was hearing. The noise seemed to be coming from the speaker and it increased with volume and if I increased the bass. But, I took the amp apart and I can't find even a scratch on the speaker! So, obviously, it can't be the speaker.

Any help would be appreciated!!

• Members

I had one years ago and it always had that buzz I never could figure it out, my friend gigs out with a classic 50 and his did the same so I stopped worrying about it.

Love to know if you find out what it is!

It's a buzz that just started, though. And it's not the kind of buzz you can ignore. It only happens while I'm playing. It's too loud to ignore.

• Members

I had one years ago and it always had that buzz I never could figure it out, my friend gigs out with a classic 50 and his did the same so I stopped worrying about it.

Love to know if you find out what it is!

I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't something that had just started to happen. But if I can't fix it, the amp is basically unusable for me.

• Members

When it sounds like it's coming from the speaker then it is, more often than not. There are plenty of speaker problems that you can hear but don't cause a visible tear. If you've thoroughly checked the speaker visibly then try putting your fingers on either side of the dust cap and pushing gently and evenly on the cone. If it doesn't move smoothly then you might have a problem with the voice coil or suspension. A winding might have pulled loose from the coil form, or the lacquer insulation might have bubbled from overheating, or the suspension or spider could have pulled loose from the basket.

If that doesn't do it then try running the amp with the speaker unmounted from the baffle, but still connected to the amp output. Try to isolate the speaker vibrations from the amp cabinet. If you still hear it then it's definitely the speaker. If you don't then you can start hunting for the vibration problem in the cabinet. Use a massage vibrator (yes, even a sex toy will work) and move it around touching different parts of the cabinet until you hear the buzzing the loudest.

• Members

Along with rattling tubes, the Peavey Classic series is VERY prone to developing noises where the chassis contacts the cabinet. Just swapping the speaker(s) can do it - I've heard reports of that from many users.

I had a Delta Blues that was squeak free for about 8 years, and then the chassis started making some minor noises.

Steve Ahola (a.k.a. the Blue Guitar) has chronicled the buzzing chassis thing many years ago (around '98 or even earlier than that). His was exacerbated when he was modding his C30/C50/etc., and he cured it with weatherstripping in between the chassis and cabinet. I think some other folks have had success with a light bead of silicone, but there is the potential mess to deal with if you try that.

I'm not saying you have a chassis buzz, but it's something worth ruling out with that line of amps, as it is as common as the tube rattle thing.

Take the speaker out of the amp - thus decoupling it from any source of mechanical vibration. Connect the amp and speaker with a long (10' or so) speaker cable. If the vibration goes away, it's possibly in the amp (tubes, baffle board, etc.), and not the speaker. If the noise is still there and definitely coming out of the speaker, you may have a rubbing voice coil - just because the speaker doesn't have a visible "tear" in the cone doesn't mean it is healthy...

Archived