Catalinbread CB30 Videos

Liff

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Old colored knobs are plastic, they cost about $0.40 each in quantity after freight and discarding crappy ones, they were cool when we first started using them in 2004... Then everybody started using them.

New knobs are machined aluminum, they cost about $1.30 each in the same quantity and much harder to get, much longer lead times.

I WISH our costs were going down.

did you just justify a 30$ markup over 3.60$ in knobs? i understand you're entitled to some markup, but 800% markup?????

over an issue of "being cool"?

how come you're less concerned that your new designs look as boring as TC electronics?

• Members

I don't get where you got the 800% markup

Still, 26% From previous price is pretty steep, I wish you guys @catalinbread the best, you seem like you wouldn't do that without your reasons.

• Members

I don't get where you got the 800% markup

Still, 26% From previous price is pretty steep, I wish you guys @catalinbread the best, you seem like you wouldn't do that without your reasons.

Why do they need to justify their markup to anyone? It's called capitalism and they can charge what they want. I, for one, think they're worth it, but that's jmo. :idk:

Nobody has to buy them, but I really don't see that price as all that bad.

• Members

THAT is more like what I expected the CB 30 to sound like.

Not that it sounds bad alone, but I expected it to be more of an all in one Vox sound. Pretty smart to make you buy the boost separate.

Clever bastards those Catalinbread folk. Yeah, you can buy the Star Wars figures alone, but they're not as cool without buying the Ewok Village play set.

• Members

To be honest, I am glad they separate the boost and the amp sim. I'm not a fan of feeding distortion into a treble booster (if they put these two things together, that what it will end up to be), but TB->Dist->Amp gain is yummy.

THAT is more like what I expected the CB 30 to sound like.

Not that it sounds bad alone, but I expected it to be more of an all in one Vox sound. Pretty smart to make you buy the boost separate.

Clever bastards those Catalinbread folk. Yeah, you can buy the Star Wars figures alone, but they're not as cool without buying the Ewok Village play set.

• Members

Why do they need to justify their markup to anyone? It's called capitalism and they can charge what they want. I, for one, think they're worth it, but that's jmo.
:idk:

Okay well I guess the market is supposed to be saturated with uninformed consumers then. It's also called capitalism when people dig deeper into the product. Sure they can charge what they want, but people can also talk ad infinitum about whatever they're getting into.

• Members

I personally like the new graphics a ton. They look cooler, and the old ones seemed outdated, and kitschy. Not to mention cutting all of that lexan and aligning all of those decals in house had to have been a HUGE time sucker and drain on the bottom line. I bet outsourcing the enclosures now will speed things up dramatically. As well as save more money in the long run. The lexan thing is cool for one off's, but not practical with the volume you guys are hitting. Although Malekko and Blackout got the lexan think right.

Although, I thought the CB30 sounded pretty freakin' fizzy from the demo. DMM was lovely though.

• Members

I personally like the new graphics a ton. They look
cooler
, and the old ones seemed outdated, and kitschy. Not to mention cutting all of that lexan and aligning all of those decals in house had to have been a HUGE time sucker and drain on the bottom line. I bet outsourcing the enclosures now will speed things up dramatically. As well as save more money in the long run. The lexan thing is cool for one off's, but not practical with the volume you guys are hitting.

This new process is more expensive, not less. The enclosures are no more 'outsourced' than before - we drill each one by hand (I'm off to do a few hundred this AM), and we use local powdercoating and silkscreen vendors who are the best we've found. Graphic artist David Medel is doing our graphics - he's done work for Fu Manchu and Trail Of Dead. I think he's elevated our look to a very pro level and unified our look which was becoming a little busy and disjointed.

The lexans were a PITA to work with but were the best option for solving a production hurdle at the time and they allowed a new level of graphic creativity, but they've run their course. I think the look of the boxes now finally do justice to the quality of the circuits on the inside.

• Members
This new process is more expensive, not less. The enclosures are no more 'outsourced' than before - we drill each one by hand (I'm off to do a few hundred this AM), and we use local powdercoating and silkscreen vendors who are the best we've found. Graphic artist David Medel is doing our graphics - he's done work for Fu Manchu and Trail Of Dead. I think he's elevated our look to a very pro level and unified our look which was becoming a little busy and disjointed.

The lexans were a PITA to work with but were the best option for solving a production hurdle at the time and they allowed a new level of graphic creativity, but they've run their course. I think the look of the boxes now finally do justice to the quality of the circuits on the inside.

OH! David Medel did the True Widow poster, and a Monster Magnet one! I knew I liked the new look. :love:

Good luck drilling a few hundred. I'd go insane.

• Members

This new process is more expensive, not less. The enclosures are no more 'outsourced' than before - we drill each one by hand (I'm off to do a few hundred this AM), and
we use local powdercoating and silkscreen vendors who are the best we've found.
Graphic artist David Medel is doing our graphics - he's done work for Fu Manchu and Trail Of Dead. I think he's elevated our look to a very pro level and unified our look which was becoming a little busy and disjointed.

It is actually nutty how hard it has been to find a consistently high quality powder coater in Portland.

Archived