In a musical rut...what should I do?

t-rey

• Members

Bros. I am in a musical rut. Seems like every time I pick up my guitar I end up playing fuzzed out riffs that all sound pretty much the same. Like a second rate Fu Manchu or The Sword. It's gotten to the point that in the past week, I get really bored with it very quickly.

Should I learn some songs outside of my typical styles? I know very little about guitar theory - should I learn some scales, modes, do some exercises or otherwise work on my really sloppy technique? Should I give it a break for a few days and come back fresh?

What do you guys do when you hit a rut like this?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was in the same spot not too long ago. I plugged my guitar into my USB interface and opened GarageBand. Found a dirt tone that I could somewhat deal with and pressed shuffle on iTunes. Then I played with any song that came up regardless of whether it was one my favorites or not. Really helped me. YMV :idk:

• Members

play with other musicians

play a new instrument

stop playing for a month

go on a vision quest

make love to a beautiful woman

start a fire

shave your head

carry many stones

put new strings on your guitar

buy a bigger belt buckle

steal some corndogs

leave on a jet plane

• Members

Practice singing and playing guitar at the same time - singing is a more natural and intuitive way for you brain to produce melodies anyway. I recommend Catherine Wheel and/or Oasis songs for cool non-operatic vocal melodies that have simple strumming patterns.

• Members

play with other musicians

play a new instrument

stop playing for a month

go on a vision quest

make love to a beautiful woman

start a fire

shave your head

carry many stones

put new strings on your guitar

buy a bigger belt buckle

steal some corndogs

leave on a jet plane

Your a fool if you ignore this advise. Stealing a corn dog is in fact the best piece of musical advice I have ever seen. Also the first 4 on the list aren't bad

• Members

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone. I think I need to steal a {censored}load of corndogs and distance myself from the stoner/riff rock for awhile. Looks like it may be time to learn all those Social Distortion songs I like.

• Members

Okay, turn the fuzz off first thing, there is a lot of good advice here so far. I play with musicians and play places frequently, knowing NOTHING about theory. Learn to improvise, stop playing fuzz riffs. Go on your local craigslist and see if there is any guitar players that want to jam, That works wonders when you are feeling un-creative. A new player will bring a new genere/playing style to the table for you to see if you like. But most of all have fun :)

• Members

Hey Jude

One of my best memories from high school was getting blasted drunk at a house party, and after most people had passed out or gone home, one of my friends started playing that on the piano while me and another kid start singing the {censored} out of it. I haven't thought about that in yeeeears :lol:

Sadly enough I don't know a single Beatles song - so learning to play and sing some of those is definitely on the list of things to do :thu:

• Members

I'll tell you what has worked to help me is using a looper. I just bought the Zoom G3, which is the only multifx with a synced drum machine and looper (40 sec). The first three songs in my sig were done with it while hanging out in a park under a tree with my headphones and handheld recorder.

• Members

I'll tell you what has worked to help me is using a looper.

This one works for me as well. I tend to stick with fuzzed out riffs when playing alone, just appeals to me but leads to definite ruts. The looper can help add layers and details you'd never come up with otherwise. Also, adding a new effect helps but I find that avoiding my primary stuff occasionally is even better. Once you're out of the comfort zone, you're forced to find new things that work, be it new pedals and tones or new ways to approach writing/riffs/note selection/etc.

Playing with other musicians is the most solid advice though, having some outside perspective is a must to avoid falling back on the same old {censored}.

• Members

I find myself in musical ruts constantly. Like other people have said I think playing with other people helps but really only if they're better than you or at least have a different approach to guitar or music that you can learn from. Also learning songs that are outside your comfort zone can help. I think more than anything it's doing something that you don't do everyday. You don't want it to be a chore but you need to experience new things, whether it's listening to different music, playing with different people, etc..

Archived