In a musical rut...what should I do?

t-rey

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't had that problem in a while as far as music goes, but I hit it from time to time in my writing [stories, not music], so I try to explore some style or storyline I'm totally unfamiliar with. I was stuck a few weeks ago, so I decided to write about 1920's gangsters. It was actually pretty fun.

• Members

Whenever that happens to me I go and get an instructional book, the MI Lickionary or whatever for example, learn some new licks and then incorporate it into my playing. Or if all else fails I eat some fungus and jam out, which always brings results.

• Members

I felt like that before. And I agree with the people who way to learn music outside of your normal circles. I used to play JUST balls to the wall punk rock and it started to get really stale. So I learned how to play the blues. There are so many blues jam tracks on youtube and what not, just pick one and rattle off some minor scales like you're SRV's cousin or something. In short just get into as much different music as you can. Plus, other styles could very well give you a great idea for the style of music you normally play.

Like Kieth Richards said, "everything you've ever heard comes out in what you play" So the more you get into, the better.

• Members

try this for a week........leave the amp and FX OFF.....just play yer electric acoustically and see where that takes you

i am doing it this week and it's bloody GREAT!

everytime i do that when i plug in again i have to adjust my playing to compensate. its like training naked and then showing up for the competition wearing 20 lbs of gear. wtf? that was a terrible analogy but whatevs, yo.

• Members

I'm in the same boat, and I can't get out of it, because the water seem infested with sea monsters. I haven't written a new song in almost a year. I have about a dozen little ideas, none of which I can bring myself to finish. I feel like i'm not even a musician anymore, and I wonder if I ever was.

• Members

Take up the violin, viola, cello or double bass. Makes you look at lead/melody playing in a completely different way.

Or, take up the piano. Will do the same, but for harmony.

Might sound like it'll take a lot of time, but take a few classical lessons, learn to read music, etc. All good experience, and helps to broaden your horizons.

• Members

I had the same problem and got a tremolo pedal. All of a sudden I was super into picking chords, playing quietly, and dynamics. Maybe try that?

Also, maybe try downsizing your pedalboard? I dropped to just five and it was pretty "inspiring."

• Members

Thanks for the advice everyone - this thread has been really helpful. I think the plan from here is to not play for a few days, then just play my acoustic and learn some scales and some songs outside of my typical stuff.

• Members

There's more hope for you than the typical person that starts this type of thread - e.g. "I am stuck in a rut... I play blooze.."

That's good, I suppose. Unless I end up playing the lawyer/dad blooze...then it might be a problem.

Archived