Semi-OT: You guys who use Fatheads...

Phil O'Keefe

You guys who use Fatheads and speak highly of them weren't lying. I got a stereo pair in the mail for review yesterday and I have been messing around with them a wee bit - acoustic guitars and guitar amps mostly so far, although I'll definitely try them on some other stuff, such as drum overheads, sax and room mikes as part of the review process.

I had the choice to go with whatever colors and transformers I wanted to try, but for the sake of getting a baseline (I assume the nicer transformer equipped models will sound better, and have better bass and treble extension) and testing the model that is probably the most popular, I went with the stock transformers... and I've got to say, my initial impression is very positive. A $200 ribbon mic (or a $400 stereo pair) shouldn't sound this nice. These do.

This is exactly what the mikes I was sent look like:

fatheadII-blum_popup_01.jpg

SCASFATHEADIIPAIRBG_2.jpg

these ribbons can handle guitar amps?

think they'd sound good in a live setting? or is it studio only

Yes, they can handle guitar amps - most ribbons can. These do have some pretty hefty proximity effect happening (most ribbon mikes / bi-directional mikes do), so you will probably want to use the mic preamp's High Pass Filter, or engage one in your DAW software to tame the low end. But in general, I use ribbon mikes (my go-to is the Beyer M160) on guitar amps more often than I use anything else - moving coil dynamics, condensers, etc.

As far as using them live, it's not something I'd generally recommend. Yes, you can, but like many ribbon mikes, these require some pretty juicy mic preamps to provide enough gain, and not all live consoles will have enough clean gain on tap to properly amplify the signal. The even larger concern is the relative fragility of ribbon mikes. Most can take some pretty hefty SPL's, but a small blast / puff of wind can shred the ribbon.

So, phil, would you reccomend getting one with the upgraded transformer vs a stereo pair of the baseline model?

Tough / good question!

What will you be doing with it / using it for? If you wanted to use it for something where extended frequency response would be beneficial (vocals - not that these would be my first choice for most vocalists), then maybe a single would be a better idea. If you want to use them on drum overheads, a pair would be better... a pair with upgraded transformers may be better still... I have not tried them on drum overheads yet, but I suspect they'll work fine for that - IF you goose the highs a bit.

• Members

Tough / good question!

What will you be doing with it / using it for? If you wanted to use it for something where extended frequency response would be beneficial (vocals - not that these would be my first choice for most vocalists), then maybe a single would be a better idea. If you want to use them on drum overheads, a pair would be better... a pair with upgraded transformers may be better still... I have not tried them on drum overheads yet, but I suspect they'll work fine for that - IF you goose the highs a bit.

I'd mainly be using it/them to mic guitar cabs, but I'd also try it on vocals and maybe some acoustic stringed instruments. Drums, not so much. I can't play drums.

The stock version is fine for guitar amps IMO. They roll off more of the highs, but you can add a bit of that back with some high frequency shelving EQ if you want. You may not need to - they stay pretty flat up to 6kHz or so, which is where most guitar amp speakers crap out. The fact that the stock Fathead II rolls off the lows below about 100Hz is actually beneficial in terms of recording guitar amps... remember - the proximity boost is significant, so if you close mic, you'll get a big boost in the lows, which the rolled off bottom actually helps with - although you still may want to use a HPF.

Again, vocals wouldn't be my first choice application for these mikes, but if you're after "vintage" (think crooner / big band jazz era sounds), you might like them in that application. As far as "other string instruments", I do generally like ribbons on things like mandolin, fiddles and banjo...

Archived