Semi-OT: You guys who use Fatheads...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Thanks for the input Phil. I went with a stereo pair of the standard model cause what you said made a lot of sense. Ha ha hopefully the highs are still somewhat there. My tone is actually pretty bright usually cause I have some aluminum cap alnico eminence 12s from the 70s that are really good at producing bright sounds that aren't harsh.

Still, though, its probably not that high of a frequency.

i was really hoping to open this thread with you revealing you got a pair w/ bluemin + the lundhals.

still wanting a pair.

For $700max you can't beat that for a pair of ribbon miss

Blumlein pair - yes, Lundahl transformers, no... although like I said, I would imagine the Lundahl equipped models would sound even better, with improved "reach" in both the high and low frequency ranges.

• Members

They're really good I've got a stereo set and like them a lot. I've been messing around with Mid-side recording and am liking the results. It's worth mentioning that the Fathead 1 and 2 are exactly the same internally and you can get them under list price. Great mics

Here's the next question. How do they measure up against the royers?

You're not asking me if a $220 mic holds up against a $1K+ mic, are you? :)

The Royer has better frequency response - but also better transformers. I don't think these are a substitute for a Royer. If you want a Royer, not even a M160 is going to sound like a Royer (although it's an equally good ribbon mic IMHO, and probably a better "deal"), but these are definitely useful mikes - even for someone who already owns nice ribbon mikes.

By the way, is there any sort of (hopefully cheap) mic-pre you would recommend to go with these?

FMR RNLA? I have not tried them with that pre yet, but I suspect (based on using it with other ribbon mikes) that it would be a good choice. I've been using my API 312's and my Yamaha board preamps. Both work fine, but the higher gain of the API preamps is better when working with quieter sound sources.

• Members

Remember - these are bi-directional ("figure 8") mikes - they'll pick up equally well from "behind" them. If I was using them live, I'd want to put a baffle behind them - even something like a sE Mini Reflection Filter would do.

Ha! Good point, or ever better use a different mic. :lol:

Archived