Dr. Who

• Members

BTW-the Classic Series is ok but some of it is dross or filler or both. I would reccomend the following...

Tomb of the Cybermen

The Three Doctors

Terror of the Autons

Genesis of the Daleks

The Five Doctors

The Caves of the Androzni

THe Two Doctors

Battlefield

Rememberance of the Daleks

The Movie

I agree with most of this, minus the Movie. Paul McGann is outstanding as the Doctor, but the rest is rather meh to poor. But that's a Fox TV movie for you I suppose. And The Two Doctors certainly isn't at the same level as the rest of the multi-Doctor stories.

Besides that, pretty decent list. As far as Tom Baker stuff goes, there's literally so much great stuff I can't list it here. Particularly choice ones are City of Death, The Talons of Weng Chaing, Pyramids of Mars, The Seeds of Doom, and The Robots of Death, with quite a few still to discover on your own. For Pertwee, I'd toss in Spearhead from Space, The Mind of Evil, The Time Warrior, and (to show how this show can take something utterly idiotic and make something wonderful from it) Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

I'd recommend Earthshock or Arc of Infinity, or maybe Resurrection of the Daleks as a starting point for the 5th Doctor. Caves of Androzani probably shouldn't be a starting point, due to it being so goddamn good. We don't want them let down by all that comes after (before?), after all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finished the modern stuff (with the exception of the first half of series 6 as it's not on netflix) before leaving for the first leg of tour. Brilliant.

Tennant is definitely the best doctor, although there really were some {censored} episodes in that last season of his. However, they did introduce my favorite villain of all time (the weeping angels) so that's badass. And the finale was incredible.

I'm starting to like Matt Smith, but it took ALL of series 5 for me to get there.

Also, just finished all the way through Children of Earth on Torchwood. Also very entertaining and well worth your time if you're a fan of the Who universe.

• Members

yes, Children Of Earth was definitely the best thing Torchwood did. I've just started watching the current US-led series, and it's OK so far, but very different to its UK-produced predecessor.

Yeah, the move to Starz worries me a bit, but i haven't started watching it just yet.

• Members

Funny, I think he's a lot more controlled than David Tennant ever was who basically had quiet mode and then SUPER HYPER MODE. This was true in other things he appeared in. Take his Shakespearean jaunt alongside Patrick Stewart in the recent past. Patrick acted the {censored} out of David.

This... David Tennant could be really over the top.

• Members
Wrong. So so so wrong
:D
. Tennant's last season was absolute {censored}e.

I meant that his last season was his best. I prefer series 5 and 6 but Series 4 was very strong with only the 1st and last episodes being meh.

YMMV :)

• Members
Steve Moffat
Ten million people don't keep coming back if they don't understand it. It's a weird criticism. If someone finds it too complicated, fair enough, but don't say, 'I understand it but nobody else does', when you're sitting among ten million people lapping it up. You can't say that with a show doing these numbers. It's preposterous.

Some guy on the internet
No, Steven - 10 million tune in every week because they love the programme and not necessarily what you're currently doing with it. You have proved in the past to be one of the best writers in the history of the series but I - and others - thought the last half season was confusing, unfocused and actually a bit boring. However I will tune in tomorrow because I hope you've tried to address some of the criticism rather than just dismissed it. Viewing figures, whilst obviously a consideration, should never be used as proof of getting it right.

That pretty much sums up Doctor Who for me right now. I'll watch regardless, but I hated the last episode with a passion. :lol:

• Members

I agree with most of this, minus the Movie. Paul McGann is outstanding as the Doctor, but the rest is rather meh to poor. But that's a Fox TV movie for you I suppose. And The Two Doctors certainly isn't at the same level as the rest of the multi-Doctor stories.

Besides that, pretty decent list. As far as Tom Baker stuff goes, there's literally so much great stuff I can't list it here. Particularly choice ones are City of Death, The Talons of Weng Chaing, Pyramids of Mars, The Seeds of Doom, and The Robots of Death, with quite a few still to discover on your own. For Pertwee, I'd toss in Spearhead from Space, The Mind of Evil, The Time Warrior, and (to show how this show can take something utterly idiotic and make something wonderful from it) Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

I'd recommend Earthshock or Arc of Infinity, or maybe Resurrection of the Daleks as a starting point for the 5th Doctor. Caves of Androzani probably shouldn't be a starting point, due to it being so goddamn good. We don't want them let down by all that comes after (before?), after all.

The Talons of Weng-Chiang is, for my money, the best Who story out there. Even the {censored}ty rat can't ruin it.

• Members

Some guy on the internet

No, Steven - 10 million tune in every week because they love the programme and not necessarily what you're currently doing with it. You have proved in the past to be one of the best writers in the history of the series but I - and others - thought the last half season was confusing, unfocused and actually a bit boring. However I will tune in tomorrow because I hope you've tried to address some of the criticism rather than just dismissed it. Viewing figures, whilst obviously a consideration, should never be used as proof of getting it right.

That pretty much sums up Doctor Who for me right now. I'll watch regardless, but I hated the last episode with a passion.
:lol:

Some guys on the Internet are really wrong. The Neil Gaiman episode surprised me as I thought I'd despise it but it was cracking.

• Members

Plus it's the whole "It pulls in millions of viewers, therefore it's the best thing ever" argument which makes him come across like an American Teenager defending Transformers by saying "it's great because it's made millions of dollars." Just to dismiss people's valid criticisms with figures makes him seem pretty vain.

• Members

That pretty much sums up Doctor Who for me right now. I'll watch regardless,
but I hated the last episode with a passion.
:lol:

Then I suspect Moffat succeeded. It sorta took me a while to figure it out, I didn't know just what to think of "A Good Man Goes to War" at first, but I think he's in the process of tearing down the "warrior god" Doctor image that's been built up ever since the reboot began......to where he'll go after doing so, who's to say......legitimately not knowing where the show's going next, it's quite the unusual feeling.

Still, I have faith in the Grand Moff. Unlike Mr. Davies, it's quite obvious he's been planning this out for quite a while.....whether or not it's to a good end, well we'll find out won't we.

• Members

I'm also a Tenant man. Initially I hated him when he replaced Eccelston, however he grew on me as the series went on. I think he struck a good balance between the loopy side to the character and the "destroyer of worlds" persona. Eccelston's funny doctor moments seem a bit forced in hindsight. Smith's Doctor comes across as a buffoon to me, but I continue to watch anyway as the storyline remains solid. Amy is also easier on the eyes than previous companions (with the exception of the Doctor's daughter from series 4)

2009-01-04_182117_the_doctors_daughter_p

• Members

If you mean the latest episode, then I agree. Seems like they jammed way too much into the episode, yet still feeling underdeveloped.

Yeah. I must come across as a Matt Smith hater, but I actually really like the new storylines. 'Let's Kill Hitler' seemed like a poor attempt to introduce River though, and having her give up all of her regenerations to save the Doctor simply based on the fact that she 'knew' how to fly the TARDIS, and because Amy and Rory wanted her to, seemed like a cop out. She gives up regenerations for the person she's been trained to kill that easily? Really? As for the side plot involving the Teselecta...the less said the better.

And now I sound like one of those crackpots who gets into TV shows way too much, which isn't the case for Dr. Who.

Archived