P-90 guitars, I think I want one...

IRG

• Members

I'm gassing for both a tele, and something with p-90s. I have a good tele, so maybe getting another one is redundant. There aren't many shapes of guitars I like with P-90s though. A Les Paul Studio with p-90s is one I do like, the Epiphone '56 Goldtop is nice too, not sure how the pickups are in it, compared to the Gibson P-90s. Anything else that is reasonably priced?

Like this finish, or ugly?

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71142.003_worn_white.jp

Also in black, but I already own a black LP
DV016_Jpg_Large_H71142.001_worn_ebony.jp

Cherry burst isn't bad either:
DV016_Jpg_Large_H71142.002_worn_cherry_b

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you changed the pickguard and pickup covers to black on the white one it would be awesome

That might work. Actually just taking the pickguard off the white one might be an improvement.

• Members

^^Yeah I do like that. I don't see it on PGS's website, maybe I'm blind. Pretty hard to find, but I haven't really been looking. I'd definitely get it from PGS with a nice discount I get. I'll look some more. But yeah, this is nice. Not sure whether I like it more than the Les Paul though.

• Members

it has to be goldtop LP p90. nothing else matters

It's always the first thing I think of too. Can't afford the Gibson versions. Edwards makes a nice one too, still not cheap.

I hear good things about the "lowly" Epi Goldtop '56. I don't know if the pickups are decent, or should be replaced (probably).

Who is making great p-90s these days, Lollar, others?

• Members

That's the 60's tribute one, right? The black one is nice in real life - I played one the other day. The neck was too fat for me, but otherwise seemed like a really nice guitar.

Right. Thick neck? Most of the reviews I've read said it was pretty thin, 60s style. The 50s was supposedly quite thick. My tele has a pretty thick neck though, so I'm used to it, like it.

• Members

Do they still sell these?

LP_DC_1.jpg

It's got a faded finish so it's somewhat of a budget model. Mine, pictured above, sounds pretty righteous. People are right for being fans of P90's; they just {censored}ing snarl.

I like this one a lot too. I think they are making them still.

Edit, yep, kinda pricey now at $999 though. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-junior-special-double-cutaway-electric-guitar

Archived