P-90 guitars, I think I want one...

IRG

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The goldtop Tributes were my favorite of the bunch, seem hard to find now. I've seen a few on ebay, most of them going for more than msrp now. I believe a limited run, with the white, black and cherryburst being left in stock, although I've only checked a couple of dealers.

wanted a goldtop super bad. they sold out before i had the money though. was super bummed.

• Members

The Squier Custom II is a nice guitar for the $ for sure. I had the one with humbuckers. The neck is nice, but I do prefer a flatter radius. But it isn't as glossy as the other Squier vintage models, which I am glad of.

I'm pretty sure I want that Gibson goldtop now. I told my wife I needed an extra $350 or so to fund it. She rolled eyes. I told her I was going to mention that I must have this guitar every hour, on the hour. And I will too. Gotta wear her down, little by little. Her birthday is in September, I think she's getting a nice goldtop. And maybe something else.

• Members
i dig the black but the blondeish whatever the hell color is also looking sweet too. dig they have maple boards also. def going to have to see if my local gc has any of these.

When I was first looking at it, I couldn't find any at my local GC. So I ended up buying from zzounds on their pay-as-you-play deal -- $62 a month for four months. :cool:

I played it in standard tuning for the first year or so. I'd do a jazz chord-melody solo gig in the afternoon at a restaurant and then play a classic rock at night in a club. Just changed the amp settings.

• Members

The Squier Custom II is a nice guitar for the $ for sure. I had the one with humbuckers. The neck is nice, but I do prefer a flatter radius. But it isn't as glossy as the other Squier vintage models, which I am glad of.

I'm pretty sure I want that Gibson goldtop now. I told my wife I needed an extra $350 or so to fund it. She rolled eyes. I told her I was going to mention that I must have this guitar every hour, on the hour. And I will too. Gotta wear her down, little by little. Her birthday is in September, I think she's getting a nice goldtop. And maybe something else.

I bought the Squier when I wasn't sure about P90s -- never had a git with them. Now that I know, man oh man, that goldtop Gibby has been on my list too. Still dig the Squier though. Gateway drug.

• Members

rolling of the eyes is a better sign than her saying {censored} off right off the bat.

• Members

rolling of the eyes is a better sign than her saying {censored} off right off the bat.

Yes it is. She knows when I really want something, I will get it. "Luke, give in to the Dark Side..."

• Members

My bass player spent a year buying P90s and putting Lollars in; I found all of 'em to be very bland. Ditto is JM pups. As usual, I am in the minority, but God forbid I don't share my opinion ... -E

Confused. You found all p-90s to be bland, or all Lollars to be bland? I know nothing about bass pickups, are there p-90s for basses too?

• Members

My hearing's excellent, but your concern is appreciated! Maybe yours is shot and you don't know what you're missing. Or maybe we have different taste in pups. -E

normally I'd agree with you but you're talking to someone who has never been wrong.

• Members
normally I'd agree with you but you're talking to someone who has never been wrong.

Dude - I'm married. :lol:

I just don't get the comment that those pickups are bland - they are way more open sounding with a lot more clarity and detail to them than just about any other P-90 out there. If he couldn't hear a difference between the Lollars and just about any other P-90 then something is very wrong. Could be they had them up too close to the strings or something, I dunno - it's a common mistake.

• Members

Thanks for clarifying.

The Lollars compared to a Fralin or the P-90s Gibson uses in their Historics are more rude sounding, hairier with more grit to them. If that was your preference then the 'bland' statement is certainly understandable.

Archived