OT: Inappropriate personal thread

Operator

• Members

Does anyone here know any resources for getting free or pro-rated counseling? Specifically in the New York City area? I've been trying to Google it but haven't really been getting clear answers. The depression has been getting worse and worse, and it's come to the point where nothing is enjoyable in my life anymore. I hate waking up, being home, being at work, being with friends. I hate doing things that I used to like, such as playing guitar, video games, stuff, et al. I'm doing terribly at work as a result. They were supposed to give me health insurance but didn't, so I have to look into some low income options. I think a few guys here have talked about their experiences with depression so I thought I'd ask. I'm on medication but apparently it's not enough.

Sorry, I know this is TMI/CSB/TLDR/LOTR.

• Members

As a long time battler of depression I've been forced to make some lifestyle changes. I make sure and eat right, exercise, allow plenty of video game time (not all the time but whenever I feel), stay away from TV, stay away from alcohol (green stuff is better), stay hydrated, be around positive, happy people.

Good luck!

• Members

I do not like to give online advice or diagnosis but it sounds to me that you have what would be called clinical depression..First off there is nothing to be ashamed of and it is not a character issue..It is a medical issue where the body does not make enough serotonin to send the pleasure sense to the brain..

The most common treatment is talk therapy mixed with a serotonin uptake inhibitor this is commonly known as Prozac,Welbutrin,paxal and many others..

You do not have to see a mental health expert for this but your family Physician will most likely have enough training to make this diagnosis and prescribe meds and therapy..

If you are already taking meds go back to the person who prescribed them and share your complaints..When it comes to mental health problems often the first prescription does not work and the dosage or type must be adjusted for the best results.It is often frustrating but the end results far out weigh the frustration..

If you begin to have thoughts of hurting yourself don't screw around call any mental health facility or go to your local emergency room..

I no longer work in the field but i'm a licensed alcohol chemical dependency counselor..This is not saying that your problems stem from this but we are also crossed trained to understand clinical or chronic depression..

P.m me if you would like to talk further but i live in St Louis Missouri and have no contacts in your area ..I do have a ear thats willing to listen if need be...

• Members

{censored} dawg, sorry to hear that. maybe try talking to some friends/family if anyone you think is understanding and will hear you out and could give you some advice, at least be there to vent to. talking is always good, ive had many friends come to me about this kind of stuff before

• Members

I do not like to give online advice or diagnosis but it sounds to me that you have what would be called clinical depression..First off there is nothing to be ashamed of and it is not a character issue..It is a medical issue where the body does not make enough serotonin to send the pleasure sense to the brain..

The most common treatment is talk therapy mixed with a serotonin uptake inhibitor this is commonly known as Prozac,Welbutrin,paxal and many others..

You do not have to see a mental health expert for this but your family Physician will most likely have enough training to make this diagnosis and prescribe meds and therapy..

If you are already taking meds go back to the person who prescribed them and share your complaints..When it comes to mental health problems often the first prescription does not work and the dosage or type must be adjusted for the best results.

but sounds like OP doesn't have coverage for therapy/meds? :idk:

• Members

I wasted the better part of 10 years swimming in clinical depression before doing something about it.

this.

i found it was worth opening up to other people about it.. that actually relieved my worries somewhat. you'll be suprised how not alone you are amongst people you know, people at work, family or whatever in feeling this way.

you can attend free courses on how to deal with depression in practical (non-medication) way such as 'thinking styles' and adapting your behaviours, in the UK with referral from a doctor - that's a good first step if you can go that route. when you sit next to a woman answering the question 'what happens when you get down?' with "GET THE RAZORS OUT, DEAR!" it kind of adds a little perspective. not that i'm telling you to get some perspective.. but you might find that being around people dealing with similar thought processes and emotions as you will actually give you some degree of positivity that you're able to manage your crises in a better way than others. without being smug about it, obviously.

• Members

Thank you all for the thoughts. I've had it since I was about 13... I'm 26 now. Sometimes it's less pronounced and I can do things, and other times it's really hard to get out of bed. I've been in and out of therapy, off and on medication, but I haven't been to therapy in about 4 years.

• Members

but sounds like OP doesn't have coverage for therapy/meds?
:idk:

If he is already being prescribed meds he has contacts..Most doctors offices receive thousands of sample depression meds per week..I will lay odds that if he ask his whoever is prescribing these meds to him will have samples..If hurting yourself becomes a issue the ER has no choice but to treat and admit at that point your life is worth far more than money..

• Members
I lol'd
:lol:

Also, at least I still like tits. Maybe I should get some tits in my face.

just make sure they are not in a situation that makes you feel even worse about being alive, like in a shoddy strip club.

there are a few places I would suggest to start:

- call the closest hopsital/clinic/psychotherapist and ask if they see clients on a sliding scale fee for servcie- if not- ask them where they refer people to that don't have insurance/can't afford their services... most places should have some place to point you... you may have to call 3-5 places depending on the dick level of who answers the phone

95% of therapists are terrible, it is important to find one that fits you best... at the end of the initial eval you should feel good in the pit of your stomach---something intangible. most private practice providers should be willing to offer a free 30 min intake eval to see if you would be a good match. if not, then you might be talking to someone in the above 95% dickhole ratio... or they might be new/bad enough that they can't keep clients and are starving and in need of money... so avoid that too.

generally I find that a psychotherapist with a counseling degree is a little bit better than a social worker that got a few couseling classes in grad school, so looking at the letters behind the name is worth a little.

good luck... if there is an impressive natural beauty near you, sometimes it is worth it to seek it out to help get the self motivation juices flowing... will make the above step easier.

- maybe your medications can be adjusted... new stuff us coming out that are better componds to more susinctly hit the specific nuetrotarnsmitters, of maybe your metabolism changes enough to need a high dose of what you take?

good luck, PM if you perfer to address any other directions i could point you

if you are thinking of killing yourself, go to the ER now.

Archived