OT: Inappropriate personal thread

Operator

I'd start by checking with universities in your area. If they have a psych department, chances are they provide counseling as part of the instructional / degree process. IOW, while the person is working through their last year of their MFCC Master's degree program, they're providing counseling to patients, but under the supervision of their instructors. You can usually get counseling on a sliding scale (or even for free sometimes) through these programs.

If you attend a church, mosque or synagog, contact them and ask if they provide counseling or referrals.

Check with the state. NYC or the state of New York probably have some sort of mental health department and there may be assistance for people with low income or without insurance.

Any physician can prescribe antidepressants. If your counselor feels you need it, they should be able to refer you to a psychiatrist or other physician for that. It shouldn't cost more than a regular simple office visit. Then of course, paying for the meds, which can be expensive. Ask the doc if he can give you something effective but that has a generic equivalent available. Prozac is expensive... Fluoxetine, the generic, is much less so.

And finally, whatever you do, never ever stop taking antidepressants "cold turkey." It can be very very bad. :cop:

Depression is tough, but there is hope. I think you're doing the right thing by reaching out and trying to seek treatment - good for you! :phil:

• Members

Start with asking yourself the question, How do I depress myself? The more you can take responsibility for how you create your misery, the more clues you will find in how to change it. Hint- your expectations about how your life "should" be vs. how it actually is, lies at the heart of your depression.

There are lots of useful self-help books on depression. But you have to do the work, just as you have to do the work in therapy.

513PX3RJ1sL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

• Members

Sorry to hear you're struggling. I can definitely relate. I actually paid much less and usually nothing when I didn't have insurance. Now that I'm covered I can barely afford to go to the Dr. when I need to....messed up huh? I'd look into your coverage at work. You said you were supposed to be covered and they should be held to that.

Like I said though, there's usually ways around it. Try public hospitals that work on a sliding scale. Many of them you go in and show your income and you get a "rating" and pay a percentage. There's several resources around here that provide free or close to it care, so there's probably some by you as well. I'd start with the county, like your local job and family services dept. as they can maybe give you a referral. Like someone said, even just calling around and asking because even when you get one that doesn't offer that they usually know where to send people without insurance.

I really hope you get the care you need soon at that it's effective for you. You can PM me if you like, I know how it is and just having someone who can relate often helps.

What is the pic on your avatar? It's a real nice image.

Archived