Discussion: The USPS

Crxsh

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously. This isn't about the union holding them hostage, it's that the union contract is an actual act of Congress. It can't be changed without another act of Congress. I deal with postal employees daily, and have actually seen the internal memos circulated by their union. Everyone at the USPS (executives, union leaders, rank-and-file) know the problem can be fixed very easily, but none of them have the power to fix it.

• Members

According to
, the USPS has some problems.

Problem 1: They owe $5.5 billion by the end of the month to fund retirees' healthcare.

Problem 2: They owe $9+ billion

Problem 3: Revenues are down

Problem 4: Revenues will continue to drop

And so on.

Apparently, if they default on this debt, it could result in an outright shutdown and/or massive layoffs (to the tune of 120,000 workers).

Seems there are labor union issues, but regardless of that.... business ain't exactly boomin'. And now it's in the hands of congress.

Thoughts? Insights? Tips on the best way to ship pedals once the mail shuts down?

The USPS is a victim of its own poor service over the years. If they go under, it's their fault - but as usual, the taxpayers will be stuck for the cost of keeping them going.

From my Terms of Service:

"Due to poor postal service, I recommend shipping by UPS or Fed Ex - NOT the USPS. I can take no responsibility for shipment delays, loss, or damage, which occasionally occur, mostly with the USPS."

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:

http://howardmickdavis.com

• Members

I've never had a problem with USPS to Canada, I've used them about 60 times in the last 5 years. I've used UPS for a few things, one was a Pro Reverb amp. when the brown clown dropped it off it looked like they ran over the box with a forklift, it had a broken rectifier tube but amazingly everything else was ok. I will never in my life use UPS again as they are a complete and utter ripoff. they chose the right colour for their company, {censored} brown

• Members

I've sent close to 500 pieces of art this year alone- all through USPS First Class (domestic and international). Not one package lost.

$2-3 for domestic, and $5-9 for International. UPS wanted to charge me $12 for domestic. I didn't even bother asking about international. :lol:

• Members

Seriously. This isn't about the union holding them hostage, it's that the union contract is an actual act of Congress. It can't be changed without another act of Congress. I deal with postal employees daily, and have actually seen the internal memos circulated by their union. Everyone at the USPS (executives, union leaders, rank-and-file) know the problem can be fixed very easily, but none of them have the power to fix it.

what if the politicians all agreed to take a 50% cut in benefits [like refusing complimentary car leases, reduce vacation time...etc] and we could have every social program AND not hassel teachers/unions :idea:

• Members

All I know is whenever I get something UPS it takes over a week, and comes smashed to {censored}.

I always warn people who are sending me stuff ups to pack like it was being thrown out of a plane.

I wouldn't mind slightly higher usps fees in order to avoid ups.

{censored}ing this. I imagine every UPS package is treated like the one at the beginning of Ace Venture. They once broke an amp I shipped in a roadcase. I can't even really figure out how they did it. It clearly fell from a height multiple times.

• Members

at what level? when does it become too hard and systemic? alderman, mayor, governor, congressman?

I wasn't just talking about the United States, but to answer your question I would say it depends on the level of control and influence a position affords someone. An alderman in Chicago has more influence than a city councilman in Grand Rapids. I know this is an incredibly broad and general statement, but whenever an official can steer the system to benefit themselves or the people in their monkey sphere financially, they do.

• Members

The USPS can not be held responsible for all or most of its expenditures since it's required by the Congress to provide certain services that operate at a huge loss. I would be ok with mail delivery every other day or once a week as long as I can pick up my priority mail boxes as soon as the tracking number shows it arrived at the post office. I have shipped a lot of Priority Mail packages and I think it's an incredible value. USPS does a lot of services really well and they are becoming more and more automated. Their tracking isn't perfect but it's getting better and better.

The people with the horror stories about international shipping, it's usually because of the postal service in that particular country that stuff doesn't work out.

• Members

once, my aunt Tony tried to ship my fat mom, USPS denied her, trucks were too small.

i've had good luck with them sending my gear. i still don't understand where they get time estimates from, i've shipped a few things at once and the furtherst location away was the package that was delivered first.

• Members

The USPS can not be held responsible for all or most of its expenditures since it's required by the Congress to provide certain services that operate at a huge loss. I would be ok with mail delivery every other day or once a week as long as I can pick up my priority mail boxes as soon as the tracking number shows it arrived at the post office. I have shipped a lot of Priority Mail packages and I think it's an incredible value. USPS does a lot of services really well and they are becoming more and more automated. Their tracking isn't perfect but it's getting better and better.

The people with the horror stories about international shipping, it's usually because of the postal service in that particular country that stuff doesn't work out.

Thats what I find. I dread shipping to Brazil... Actually I refuse to ship to individuals, due to so much sketchiness. Our Brazilian partner has me ship to a freight forwarding company in Florida... They don't even trust their own postal service. It isn't USPS's fault down there. Similar experience with shipping to France, but in that case it is French customs sitting on packages for so long... Maybe in retaliation to US customs holding up unpasteurized stinky cheese so long that it goes bad!? I keed.

:)

• Members

Weird I just got a call from the local post master. She asked about shipping international using paypal. She called me because of the amount of pedals I send out using paypal. Well if the post office is calling me for shipping advice id say they're Boned

Archived