Discussion: The USPS

Crxsh

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't UPS union? They don't seem to be that far up {censored} creek. I guess it's possible that unions could hold business hostage, but in a time of record profits and record CEO pay, union membership at an all time low, and probably the least amount of public/government support (EFCA never passed) for unions I'd say that's probably really low on the list of problems.

• Members

The UAW did everyone a favor recently and agreed to a lower wage....and now the US is actually going to make a profitable micro car...something it hasn't been able to do before. Basically GM said: you can have a job for half of what you were making before we had to lay everyone off or we can make this car in Mexico. You pick.

It wasn't the unions who decided to make gas guzzlers, even in the face of skyrocketing gas prices. That was private ownership using "the wisdom of the free market" who chose to make gas guzzlers.

Re: the Post Office... It's a victim of its own efficiency. It's only 44 cents to send a document from NYC to LA, and it only takes 3 days to deliver. If UPS or Fed Ex went into the letter-carrying business, I bet they would charge a dollar per letter. It's time to raise prices (50 cents would be fine).

Also, the Post Office is mandated to deliver letters anywhere in America, for the same flat price, no matter how remote. Private companies would charge an arm/leg to deliver those same packages, or refuse to serve areas that were considered "not profitable". The Post Office does not have the same profitability mandate that private companies have (and that's a good thing).

• Members

It's a gov't agency...so no it doesn't have to earn a profit, but operating at a loss doesn't work either....they need to at least break even, which they aren't.

And your extreme examples about union workers are a bit silly..... GM officials say the average UAW employee makes $39.68 an hour, including base pay, cost-of-living adjustments, night-shift premiums, overtime, holiday and vacation pay. Health-care, pension and other benefits average another $33.58 an hour....To go from that to the $5 an hour argument is a stretch. There's a lot of room in between there for a living wage.

• Members

Can't the USPS just crank up their prices? Seems like we should be paying for what we're getting. Maybe I'll finally stop getting the damned Penny Saver!

This is what they need to do. But people (especially the elderly that don't use online bill pay and still send mail via snail mail) pitch a fit every time. Gas is expensive yo, get over it.

• Members

They've already announced (not sure how public this is) that they will be closing approximately 3,600 post offices starting January, 2012. So yeah, there will easily be 100K+ jobs lost.

I work for a UPS Store, and I can definitely say that we have done nothing but grow our profit margins and overall business by no less than 10% each year for the last 3 years. We've not only been recession proof, we've been GROWING. Now, I'm not sure if all the UPS Stores or UPS as a whole has grown during this time, because every UPS Store is franchised and individually owned and operated. We have to adhere to certain UPS guidelines and can only buy supplies from approved vendors, but we still function as an individually owned store. And I can say with absolute certainty that we have picked up a LOT of business from the local post office each year - some local businesses, some just random people. By and large, they (USPS) are cheaper than we (UPS) are for their shipping rates - but therein lies the problem: THEY'RE NOT CHARGING ENOUGH. The flat rate box idea, while on paper looks great, was a monumental failure for them. They're still hyping it up, but it will never allow them to sustain a consistent profit. A pretty substantial chunk of our clientele are people who are just fed up with the customer service... or rather, lack thereof customer service from USPS. Ever try dealing with USPS over the phone? Nightmare. Ever have to file an insurance claim? Again... nightmare. Their model for customer service is a freaking JOKE. However, I know that anytime we ship and/or pack something for a customer, they will never have to deal with UPS Corporate when there's a problem - that's our job. So that's REEEEALLY handy for small businesses who don't have time to stand in line for 2 hours, fill out 10 forms, and wait 90 days to file an insurance claim. Basically, the USPS will have to COMPLETELY overhaul and restructure the entire way they conduct business in order to become profitable again. Unfortunately, that will never happen (see below). Shipping companies like UPS and FedEx will really start to reap the benefits, because... well... people will always need to ship stuff. There will always be an industry for that. Electronic mail and messaging has definitely hurt the USPS as well, but more than anything, they're simply not charging enough and their customer service model sucks.

With all of that said, the underlying problem for the USPS is that they are government operated. NO, the government does not own the USPS. It's a group of very wealthy individuals who technically own the USPS, but the gov't operates and regulates it - which is why they are trying to use cheaper shipping prices to make up for their crappy customer service and their many other problems. The USPS is the perfect example of why we do NOT want our government running our businesses.

:wave:

• Members

I've shipped tens of thousands of packages via USPS and have only had two problems... UPS on the otherhand I've had damage amplifies and have had boxes stolen. Not to mention the franchise UPS stores will not ship packages worth over a few thousand dollars. I am not saying they are bad but in terms of percentages, it isn't great...

USPS isn't in trouble because it is government run, but for over the past decade the pm general has been an open proponent for privatization... As such many of their policies are intended to break the post office. Flatrate is a great idea, volume matters more than weight in container based distribution systems, but I have a feeling they are losing their shirts internationally... It is probably undercharging for flatrate though... Not to mention there are a lot fewer credit offers and other such presort mail to bother with 6 day delivery. Once upon a time the post office made multiple deliveries a day because folks used to "text message" eachother this way. Then telephones became ubiquitous... USPS had to adapt then just as it does now. I still think it is an important part of our infrastructure.

They've already announced (not sure how public this is) that they will be closing approximately 3,600 post offices starting January, 2012. So yeah, there will easily be 100K+ jobs lost.

I work for a UPS Store, and I can definitely say that we have done nothing but grow our profit margins and overall business by no less than 10% each year for the last 3 years. We've not only been recession proof, we've been GROWING. Now, I'm not sure if all the UPS Stores or UPS as a whole has grown during this time, because every UPS Store is franchised and individually owned and operated. We have to adhere to certain UPS guidelines and can only buy supplies from approved vendors, but we still function as an individually owned store. And I can say with absolute certainty that we have picked up a LOT of business from the local post office each year - some local businesses, some just random people. By and large, they (USPS) are cheaper than we (UPS) are for their shipping rates - but therein lies the problem: THEY'RE NOT CHARGING ENOUGH. The flat rate box idea, while on paper looks great, was a monumental failure for them. They're still hyping it up, but it will never allow them to sustain a consistent profit. A pretty substantial chunk of our clientele are people who are just fed up with the customer service... or rather, lack thereof customer service from USPS. Ever try dealing with USPS over the phone? Nightmare. Ever have to file an insurance claim? Again... nightmare. Their model for customer service is a freaking JOKE. However, I know that anytime we ship and/or pack something for a customer, they will never have to deal with UPS Corporate when there's a problem - that's our job. So that's REEEEALLY handy for small businesses who don't have time to stand in line for 2 hours, fill out 10 forms, and wait 90 days to file an insurance claim. Basically, the USPS will have to COMPLETELY overhaul and restructure the entire way they conduct business in order to become profitable again. Unfortunately, that will never happen (see below). Shipping companies like UPS and FedEx will really start to reap the benefits, because... well... people will always need to ship stuff. There will always be an industry for that. Electronic mail and messaging has definitely hurt the USPS as well, but more than anything, they're simply not charging enough and their customer service model sucks.

With all of that said, the underlying problem for the USPS is that they are government operated. NO, the government does not own the USPS. It's a group of very wealthy individuals who technically own the USPS, but the gov't operates and regulates it - which is why they are trying to use cheaper shipping prices to make up for their crappy customer service and their many other problems. The USPS is the perfect example of why we do NOT want our government running our businesses.

:wave:

• Members

I've shipped tens of thousands of packages via USPS and have only had two problems... UPS on the otherhand I've had damage amplifies and have had boxes stolen. Not to mention the franchise UPS stores will not ship packages worth over a few thousand dollars. I am not saying they are bad but in terms of percentages, it isn't great...

USPS isn't in trouble because it is government run, but for over the past decade the pm general has been an open proponent for privatization... As such many of their policies are intended to break the post office. Flatrate is a great idea, volume matters more than weight in container based distribution systems, but I have a feeling they are losing their shirts internationally... It is probably undercharging for flatrate though... Not to mention there are a lot fewer credit offers and other such presort mail to bother with 6 day delivery. Once upon a time the post office made multiple deliveries a day because folks used to "text message" eachother this way. Then telephones became ubiquitous... USPS had to adapt then just as it does now. I still think it is an important part of our infrastructure.

Sorry bud.. wrong. Our limit for insurance is $50,000. You could ship a Dumble if you wanted and insure it - just let us package it for you. Like I said, though, we're franchised, so some are better than others.

• Members

Sorry bud.. wrong. Our limit for insurance is $50,000. You could ship a Dumble if you wanted and insure it - just let us package it for you. Like I said, though, we're franchised, so some are better than others.

Yeah I am wrong, bud. I am just making {censored} up right here on the spot, not speaking from experience!

I've gone to two UPS stores in town, same story. "We cannot accept this package due to the high content value." When I have to ship UPS I have to drive across town to a real UPS customer service depot. So who knows, maybe being franchises they have the right to refuse service based off of any reason? Or maybe they were simply lying to me in order to avoid having to fill out all the paperwork for larger international shipments?

• Members

Alright I'm just gonna say here that we're at the point of a major discussion of income inequality and labor, and if you guys don't settle it I'm gonna have to write some really long posts on the matter. I don't want to do that.

• Members

Yeah I am wrong, bud. I am just making {censored} up right here on the spot, not speaking from experience!

I've gone to two UPS stores in town, same story. "We cannot accept this package due to the high content value." When I have to ship UPS I have to drive across town to a real UPS customer service depot. So who knows, maybe being franchises they have the right to refuse service based off of any reason? Or maybe they were simply lying to me in order to avoid having to fill out all the paperwork for larger international shipments?

Wow dude.... Chill. Never said you were making anything up. You can speak from experience all you want but I actually work there.

Yes, because they are franchised, they can accept or reject anything they want (exceptions for alcohol, tobacco, and firearm products - unless they have a VERY expensive license, they can't ship ANY of that stuff).

According to our agreement/contract, we have the CHOICE to accept anything valued up to $50,000. Question for ya though... Are you packing this stuff yourself? Because that could be one reason they refuse it; but even that's stupid because if they are a legitimate UPS store, they area LLC (limited liability company) and can't be held accountable for any damaged package - UPS corporate pays out on all insurance claims.

For international shipments, there is paperwork, but none that can't be done in under 5 minutes on their computer software they get directly from corporate (CMS, POS). And unless it's a freight shipment (>150lbs, >108inches total girth), there isn't ANY additional paperwork.

Yes, they could be a-holes - there's another UPS Store in our town where the owner is exactly that - a liar and a cheap bastard. It's kinda funny... A lot of people (not necessarily you) think that all UPS stores are corporately owned and therefore are all the same - exactly the opposite. Kinda the beauty of it. ;)

• Members

Alright I'm just gonna say here that we're at the point of a major discussion of income inequality and labor, and if you guys don't settle it I'm gonna have to write some
really
long posts on the matter. I don't want to do that.

I really hope you're joking.

• Members

I am going to have to agree with Nic on most points here.

Years ago at my old job I worked for a company that spent 6 figures per year with UPS. I handled most of the communication with our UPS Rep, as well as insurance claims, billing problems, etc. We shipped mostly medium to large size packages, all with insurance, most valued anywhere from $500 to $5000. When it came to insurance of all the claims we ever filed only one was ever paid. The one that they actually did pay was completely lost from their tracking system and it took us months to get our money back. All of our freight damage claims were denied even though we did everything right. correct edge crush box ratings. box in box shipping with over two inches of packaging around the product. It was always the same story. "improper packaging" or my favorite signed for by "front door" they would insist it was delivered.

USPS is not perfect. There are people who have been in the USPS and government actively trying to destroy it as an institution. While they do need to make some changes what they really need is a bit more flexibility. It shouldnt take an act of congress to raise stamp prices. Even if they raised it to $1 that's still a lot less than UPS ($12 last time i checked to send a letter)

The fact is our mailing costs have been subsidized in the past, not by government, but by advertisers sending huge amounts of bulk mail. This practice is waning quickly.

Also UPS stores will not take our insured packages either. and yes these are packages that we boxed up our selves and printed our own shipping labels for. If i let a UPS store do that stuff that makes my visit nearly an hour rather than 30 seconds (drop off and leave without talking to any of the morons at our local place). No real company that does their own shipping is going to have a UPS store pack their stuff for them. An insured international package needs to have a form signed by UPS (usually the driver) and returned to the shipper. So that means I have to pay extra to schedule a pickup, or go to a real UPS depot.

A real UPS depot is even slower than the local UPS store. The local UPS store is way way slower than the post office. This is not always the UPS store's fault though. People go in to the post office and generally know what they want. The customers at our local UPS store are idiots. They make shipping a package in to some ridiculous ordeal, and can't decide what they want to do. Three of these people in line in front of you makes for a good 40 minute wait. Some people just can't handle options.

When I go to the post office, I literally go in, set packages on the counter, and leave. If i have to do something more complicated than that I am rarely waiting for more than 5 minutes. If i ask the clerk a question they know the answer. at the UPS store it's always some nervous pale 20 year old "ummmm let me talk the manager"

• Members

Wow dude.... Chill. Never said you were making anything up. You can speak from experience all you want but I actually work there.

Yes, because they are franchised, they can accept or reject anything they want (exceptions for alcohol, tobacco, and firearm products - unless they have a VERY expensive license, they can't ship ANY of that stuff).

According to our agreement/contract, we have the CHOICE to accept anything valued up to $50,000. Question for ya though... Are you packing this stuff yourself? Because that could be one reason they refuse it; but even that's stupid because if they are a legitimate UPS store, they area LLC (limited liability company) and can't be held accountable for any damaged package - UPS corporate pays out on all insurance claims.

For international shipments, there is paperwork, but none that can't be done in under 5 minutes on their computer software they get directly from corporate (CMS, POS). And unless it's a freight shipment (>150lbs, >108inches total girth), there isn't ANY additional paperwork.

Yes, they could be a-holes - there's another UPS Store in our town where the owner is exactly that - a liar and a cheap bastard. It's kinda funny... A lot of people (not necessarily you) think that all UPS stores are corporately owned and therefore are all the same - exactly the opposite. Kinda the beauty of it.
;)

I am totally chill. I recognize that you work there... How much do you charge for boxes about the size of a USPS LRG FR? Does it strike you as a bit nutty that USPS simply gives these boxes away? How do you suppose USPS settles accounts when they hand off a FR box to the post in the UK? Seems to me shipping something within the UK that weighs up to 70lbs would cost a big percentage of if not more than the $45 USPS charges? I like the flatrate idea in terms of domestic as it helps grease the skids of domestic commerce. I don't understand how it works internationally, seems like it loses a lot of money.

• Members

I am totally chill. I recognize that you work there... How much do you charge for boxes about the size of a USPS LRG FR? Does it strike you as a bit nutty that USPS simply gives these boxes away? How do you suppose USPS settles accounts when they hand off a FR box to the post in the UK? Seems to me shipping something within the UK that weighs up to 70lbs would cost a big percentage of if not more than the $45 USPS charges? I like the flatrate idea in terms of domestic as it helps grease the skids of domestic commerce. I don't understand how it works internationally, seems like it loses a lot of money.

They would have to be losing a lot of money. Just makes no sense. UPS international shipments are expensive as hell, and you'll hear no argument from me on that. With the lone exception of Canada, you're talking at least $150, if not more for something that'd fit in a large flat rate Priority mail box (12x12x6 inches). Its absurd, no doubt. However, with UPS, you're also paying for the guarantee that it actually gets there. I've sent at least 10 things overseas via USPS, and not even half of them ever arrived; just completely unacceptable. I've been working at the UPS Store for over 2 years, and we have NEVER actually lost an international shipment, and we've shipped hundreds this year alone. We also do a lot of USPS international stuff, and I've seen absolute horror stories unfold right in front of me because some idiot wanted to send his original birth certificate/other very important irreplaceable documents over to some other idiot in Thailand, but neither idiot wanted to spend the extra $30-$40 to send it UPS to guarantee that it arrives... And lo and behold, it NEVER turns up. And with the USPS international, there is absolutely NO way to track it down.

Brian, it really just sounds to me like you and Nick have just had to deal with some REALLY douchey UPS Stores. Our store is #3 out of almost 150 stores in our region (overall sales), so I know we really do go above and beyond. The fact that I'm a simple retail clerk and have absolutely no managerial job title and still know all these details about how UPS and USPS operate says something about our specific store more than any other I guess... We may have 20 people in line at Christmas, but I guarantee no one ever has to wait more than 10-15 minutes to be helped. You're right though about the customers - they really are idiots. I can honestly say that this job has made me realize that there are FAR more stupid, inconsiderate, selfish, ungrateful and unthoughtful, asinine, and braindead human beings than I ever thought possible.

As for the UPS Stores not taking your insured packages... That's just plain odd. Like I said before, they are a LLC store - even if some stupid employee decides to burn it to ash with kerosine while it's still in the store, the store itself cannot be held liable for it (you could sue the employee of course, but not as an employee). We take $1,000 shipments every day - dropoffs included. Just makes way more sense from a business standpoint to bring IN people and business; not send them away. :idk:

• Members

Isn't UPS union? They don't seem to be that far up {censored} creek. I guess it's possible that unions could hold business hostage, but in a time of record profits and record CEO pay, union membership at an all time low, and probably the least amount of public/government support (EFCA never passed) for unions I'd say that's probably really low on the list of problems.

Yes it is. I worked for ups and joined the teamsters. So im a life long member of the teamsters. I was a union shop stwert as well.

Oh and I was part of the aerospace union as well. Unions still have there place. The Usps isn't bankrupt because of unions.

Archived