HCFX Myth #2234: Original Bands"

RoboPimp

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the more accurate explanation is that supply exceeds demand. Everyone is in a band, all clamoring to be on a stage. Venues here aren't going to be pay you when there are two dozen other bands willing to play that night for free.

But if you got in this for the money, that's your own god damn fault for being disappointed.

this sounds more like someone who is trying to comfort their own ego by making excuses for why they don't get paid

IME, most venues/promoters will gladly pay for a band that has a good draw before bringing in a free band that doesn't

• Members

you can pretend
that
is true if it makes things easier for you to rehash the past while prentending to be someone else.

you can pretend you make a good argument full of intelligent observations based in reality instead of talking about imaginary cover bands :idk:

• Members

this sounds more like someone who is trying to comfort their own ego by making excuses for why they don't get paid

IME, most venues/promoters will gladly pay for a band that has a good draw before bringing in a free band that doesn't

I'm sure it sounds like that to you, because your experience isn't in a vast metropolis rife with competition. I got treated well in small towns, too. The experience is a little different in big cities.

I'm not saying that making {censored}ty music has nothing to do with it, but in a culture where music that you and I would probably agree is pretty awful can be very successful (or unsuccessful, or modestly successful), I don't think the quality of your originals has as much to do with as might seem.

I'm not speaking for myself, here. My music probably sucks and I'm incapable of presenting a compelling live performance because performing scares me, because I'm a huge {censored}. I'm talking about friends and acquaintances who make great music that get paid very little, if at all.

• Members

As a Canadian singer-songwriter that tours Europe once or twice a year, with Austria being a common stop, I always wondered about the local scenes. I find I get treated amazingly while in Europe, with good pay, meals, drinks, and hotel/accoms all being provided. There's usually a promoter behind the show as well. It sounds like local scenes are the same everywhere - your Austrian one being what I see as the Canadian one.

point is, the local scene is not that bad, but you need to work your ass off, to benefit from it. just being once a week in the rehearsal room for 2 hour isn't enough. sure its fun and entertaining, but will it draw a lot of audience and bring a lots of gigs?

no, for that you need to work harder and do more. and a lot of stuff is not done in the rehearsal room either. lots of people think, hey here i am, i write and play great music, now music business do your part. where as in fact they suck playing and their music is really far away from great.

and then there are just some who work their ass off and are going at least a bit somewhere, but you know the difference when you hear the one or the other

• Members

I'm sure it sounds like that to you, because your experience isn't in a vast metropolis rife with competition. I got treated well in small towns, too. The experience is a little different in big cities.

I'm not saying that making {censored}ty music has nothing to do with it, but in a culture where music that you and I would probably agree is pretty awful can be very successful (or unsuccessful, or modestly successful), I don't think the quality of your originals has as much to do with as might seem.

I'm not speaking for myself, here. My music probably sucks and I'm incapable of presenting a compelling live performance because performing scares me, because I'm a huge {censored}. I'm talking about friends and acquaintances who make great music that get paid very little, if at all.

this actually is kind of my exact point...

Just because I personally think something is "great" I don't make the mistake of believing that it really IS great. And even if I feel something is "{censored}ty" if they are able to get constant work and success then I am able to admit they are obviously doing something right and have appeal to a lot of people.

And a truly "great" band would not just be stuck in the confines of a single area, no matter how "vast" it is. IF they are good, they will be playing all over and find it easy to be asked back again and again.

• Members

#2234: Original Bands don't get paid, or get many gigs

Reality: Your originals just aren't that good.

While I would love to agree with you, especially knowing how many original acts I think blow chunks, it simply isnt anymore true than saying the only good music in the world is the stuff that sold the most copies in Billboard's Top 10.

But nice try.

Archived