ATTN PORTLAND: im gonna be in you.

echodeluxe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

finding affordable housing is impossible right now unless you want to live out in the sticks. that said, if you're from the bay, our exorbitant prices might be peanuts to you.

rather than give you a list to consider, i'll give you a list to avoid:

AVOID:
anything east of 82nd when north of I-84, anything east of I-205 when south of I-84. NEVER go east of I-205 no matter where you are. i cannot stress this enough.

AVOID:
any suburb we've got. you may think it's not far from "downtown" and ads may even say this, but portland suburbs are {censored}ty. probably worse than any other place i've been.

AVOID:
deep southwest. it's just boring and looks like the suburbs.

AVOID:
inner downtown unless you like getting asked for change 800 times per block

ah {censored} it, consider these:

CONSIDER:
anywhere in inner (read: between water ave. and SE 39th) SE, specifically the are between belmont and division. many, many great bars and restaurants are there.

CONSIDER:
the irvington neighborhood (north of NE broadway and between NE 7th ave. and ~NE 20th). it's just a really nice, clean hood.

CONSIDER:
N(E) portland and all its hipster hubs (N mississippi, NE alberta, N williams/vancouver, NE killingsworth). these places usually have plenty of amenities.

CONSIDER:
NW portland between NW broadway and NW 25th, and between W burnside and NW vaughan. for apartments (and if you have a ton of cash), the square bounded by W burnside/NW 15th/NW lovejoy/NW broadway is the "pearl district." it is fancy and expensive, but cool. a lot of portlanders hate it. i don't care. some of the best restaurants/coffee shops/bars are here. the square bounded by W burnside/NW 15th/NW 26th/NW vaughan is mostly houses. they are the expensive ones, but once again your money goes farther here than in the bay.

CONSIDER:
goose hollow (square bounded by W burnside/SW 14th/SW jefferson/ SW vista). you're close to four grocery stores, a {censored}load of bars/restaurants, coffee shops and transit lines. lots of young people live here (and me). you're still among the buildings and all that and it's considerably cheaper than NW.

anything else, just ask.

Solid advice. Inner south easy. It's the place to be.

My recommendation is somewhere between water and 50th, between Belmont and Clinton. {censored} is on hit.

Please tell me why there are so many pedal builders in Portland.

At first, I thought must be due to something in the water up there... kind of like Austin and blues guitarists. Then I found out there are even more of them (companies / builders) located in / near Portland than I realized, which kind of made it even more surprising, considering the relatively low population of the area. Then, while looking at a map of the west coast, I also remembered that Portland is almost mid way between BC and Humboldt. I'm not sure if that plays into it or not, but it makes for an interesting theory. :D

Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe because the spirit of the 90s is alive there. :idk:

• Members

At first, I thought must be due to something in the water up there... kind of like Austin and blues guitarists. Then I found out there are even more of them (companies / builders) located in / near Portland than I realized, which kind of made it even more surprising, considering the relatively low population of the area. Then, while looking at a map of the west coast, I also remembered that Portland is almost mid way between BC and Humboldt. I'm not sure if that plays into it or not, but it makes for an interesting theory.
:D

Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe because the spirit of the 90s is alive there.
:idk:

You know, I never considered that I-5 'connection' theory but you may be on to something. :lol:

I think its probably a variety of reasons:

A very positive and creative entreprenurial spirit in this town - either food, or art, or music, or bike shops, or fashion - there are a ton of 'boutique' companies in this town and the population values and supports those businesses.

Cheapest large city to live in on the west coast, so it attracts a lot of musicians. :lol:

This place seems to be a mecca for independent spirits - anybody who is in a band here seems to be in several at once, I don't know if its just covering their bases or getting enough work to live on but I think its mostly due to the desire to be creative in a variety of genres and not get too pinned down to one thing.

That independent spirit certainly seems to spill over into most of the builders here regardless of what they are making.

Archived