NAMM 2009 Rumor Mill

bruto

• Members

Rumor mill, eh? OK, let me break out my crystal ball and start some completely unsubstantiated rumors:

-- Moog will offer a monster Poly Voyager, if they can get enough pre-orders (a la the new Taurus).

-- Roland's preparing a new groovebox with a V-Synth engine, the MC-707. It'll have a color touch screen and won't need a PC to do in-depth editing.

-- Access will announce the Virus XL, with quadruple the processing power of the TI. It will include an additional envelope, additional filter modes, and a realtime additive resynthesis mode.

-- Korg will show off the Fidget, an inexpensive pair of MIDI controller gloves with each finger operating a trigger, for those of you that like to drum your fingers on the desk.

If any of this comes to pass, KSS will owe me 1 million dollars, or some sharks with frikin' lasers on their heads, whichever is easier to come by.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

-- Korg will show off the Fidget, an inexpensive pair of MIDI controller gloves with each finger operating a trigger, for those of you that like to drum your fingers on the desk.

I LOVE this idea!

And I seriously doubt the LinnDrum II will be there unless it's underneath a plexiglass case (i.e. non-working prototype).

I would not be surprised to see Rhodes there with working pianos (they've had them before), but I'll be pleasantly surprised someday when they start shipping.

• Members

New Groovebox and possible new VA from Roland

New Electribes from Korg

Macbeth keyboard

Working model of the new Linndrum

New soundsets and Organ model mode for Korg M3

Jared is cooking up something from Future Retro

Solaris will show itself again.

Clavia Nord Electro 3

Waldorf Blofeld keyboard.

This sounds about right...

I'm expecting a big year for Korg.

I am actually expecting an updated Radias (or some new flagship VA), and a re-packaged Oasys. Possibly streamlined, price-dropped, smaller, and an OS update for the flagship?

I know the Oasys and Radias were discontinued mid-08, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe both are in the dust due to sales?

If not, maybe some new add-on for the M3 is in the works (possibly the new electribe)? Who knows? They were certainly pushing that multi-component thingy a couple years ago.

Access Virus hasn't done anything new, either. Perhaps they'll put Firewire on their TI series, update the hardware, and throw out some new sonic options. They make great boxes, so an upgrade on the DSP and a firewire connection for the VST editor would be welcomed.

I'm also really interested in the new LinnDrum... hopefully, there's a working prototype. I'm worried that this has become too complex and convoluted by now...

DSI - I think their NAMM showing will be mostly centred around the LinnDrum and Mopho. Perhaps some Prophet MoPho is in the works - a modified P' 08 with sub oscilators in it? Who knows. I highly doubt it.

I'm expecting Ableton to update their utility tools and editing functions. With all the fuss about a lacking vocoder, I can see that being implemented as well. It may be a possible Ableton Live 7.5 release.

I have a funny feeling that all the DAW companies are going to be building direct interfaces with their software (think Cakewalk and Roland). I really think Ableton Live's Session view could benefit hugely from this... and some form of dedicated stage controller will be packaged with their next version. This is what Ableton has been desperate for...

Roland? I have no idea. All their stuff is pretty new... probably a bunch of expansions.

Kurzweil? Maybe the announcement of some expansions for the PC3x, and a new possible flagship for a 2010-2011 release.

• Members

Let me try my hand at this... completely bogus wish list :D

Korg - new Electribes, including vastly expanded sample handling. New Oasys with 2Gb ROM and redesigned sequencer. New VA to substitute Radias which will be like a Wavestation meets MS2000B with 8 parts multi-timbral, 24 notes of polyphony, top-rated effects the full upgraded Karma functionality.

Yamaha - S90XS with the new Clavis 5-velocity piano sounds. Tyros 3, new Clavis :bor:

Roland - Roland finally redeems itself launching the Fantom GR which takes both SRX (4) and ARX cards (4) in a 4-rack knobby rack unit that has the V-Synth GT touch screen. New Orchestral and VA+Analog Samples ARX cards. Rack version of the SH-201 with all the knobs and functionality.

Kurzweil - 61-key PC3, standalone VA1 rack module, PC3R (without the VA1 but it can be linked to the VA1 module).

Alesis - re-enters the synth market re-issuing the Ion and presenting the Micron 2, with some added knobs and tweakability. Releases QS10 rompler which is based on the Fusion playback engine featuring new ROM sounds and a basic, no-frills and therefore no-bugs sequencer.

Novation - Supernova III 16-part multi-timbral and a rididulous amount of modulations and effects

Behringer - Makes a cheap imitation of the MicroKorg

Tom Oberheim - releases a new synth under the name "Tom Oberheim Design". The first synth is a mono analog 2-VCO synth with 37 keys priced just under a grand. Features classic Oberheim filter design.

Moog - reissues the Taurus as seen already, and releases the LittlePhatty keytar.

• Members

Cubase 5 - will include AN1X, DX7, and VL physical modelling softsynths from Yamaha. :cool:

I've heard several times that the Ion is going to be re-issued. Maybe there's something to the rumor.

Almost forgot my yearly prediction for a Korg Z2.

• Members

Kurzweil - a real VA1 Synthesizer

Korg - next gen VA synth (probably in silver)

Roland - MV9000 (slimed down size but with more efx synth and wide screen ala G. Higher definition monitor output)

- SH201 mark 2 (LCD control and higher VA spec)

- New ARX cards, one with a basic VA synth and D50

Akai - MPC8000 (replacement MPC4000)

It will be a VA and Beat Box revival year :wave:

• Members

DSI - I think their NAMM showing will be mostly centred around the LinnDrum and Mopho. Perhaps some Prophet MoPho is in the works - a modified P' 08 with sub oscilators in it? Who knows. I highly doubt it.

I highly doubt it also, therefore they WILL be announcing it. I have been wrong about DSI pretty much 100% of the time.

• Members

Hopefully the new linndrum. Probably some new tribes or other groovebox from korg along with the M50. Akai will update the MPC5000 OS so it will work. Moog will have the taurus prototype. Nothing big new from roland. Yamaha will have the new S90xs which is gonna be badass.

• Members

A quote from KORG.... posted on KORG Forums.

we have some other exciting events planned which I'm simply going to tease you with at this point. But it's going to be "through the roof" this year and we'll be filming it all so you can enjoy it soon after it happens.

Make of that what you will. It could be that they have great performances planed as Jordan Rudess will be there playing the OASYS, or it could mean new gear.

Full thread here.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39193

Regards.

Sharp.

• Members

A quote from KORG.... posted on KORG Forums.

Make of that what you will. It could be that they have great performances planed as Jordan Rudess will be there playing the OASYS, or it could mean new gear.

Full thread here.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39193

Regards.

Sharp.

It sounds like Jerry is just confirming they will have Jordan playing the new MicroKorg XL this fast:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CCj_WbV9ekM&feature=related

:lol:

Archived