Bound by my Ignorance

Ryan.

• Members

I'm dropping $200 on my amp to get it back in good shape. (Tubes, mods, etc.)

This is the life I've chosen when it comes to my music gear. I don't have the time or patience to figure it out on my own so I pay someone with the proper skillset to do it for me.

I can change strings on my guitar. Replace a 9V in a pedal. And wipe spilled beer off of pretty much anything.

Can't solder, can't set action, can't tune a drumkit. What I can do is throw money at problems, which works out just fine. I have no problem with it. I make enough at my own trade so I don't have to worry about not being able to play for a month if a speaker blows.

What about you? What can you do around your studio that saves you money? What CAN'T you do? Any problem you can't fix?

• Members

i can do almost everything concerning guitars- set ups, changing pups and parts, etc. i can solder and have had moderate successes messing around with some simple pedals mods. still havent ordered a diy pedal build kit yet, hopefully soon.

changing tubes isnt really any more of a skill than changing lighbulbs as long as you know what tubes belong in your amps. id like to learn to set the bias and mod amps but im skurred.

• Members

This thread has dropped Ryan's manliness rating by a significant margin.

Lol, I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth.

{censored} it, I'm honest. I can either be a decent wakeboarder or learn to solder. I chose wakeboarding. Winter is coming.

• Members

Lol, I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth.

{censored} it, I'm honest. I can either be a decent wakeboarder or learn to solder. I chose wakeboarding. Winter is coming.

Don't undersestimate the pleasure that comes from trying to fix mod something, {censored}ing it up horribly, and then spending hours trying to figure out what you {censored}ed up and then starting back at square one. It's a guy thing man, we're intuitive.

Some guys take off their shirt, some guys take off their proverbial shirt and fix {censored}.

• Members

Don't undersestimate the pleasure that comes from trying to fix mod something, {censored}ing it up horribly, and then spending hours trying to figure out what you {censored}ed up and then starting back at square one. It's a guy thing man, we're intuitive.

Some guys take off their shirt, some guys take off their proverbial shirt and fix {censored}.

Meh, I never got into eletronics. I took apart my xbox once and then threw it away. I can fix car/boat engines and {censored} like that. Can tune a snowboard. Just don't care about doing the music stuff. :idk:

I can toss a good salad.

• Members

Meh, I never got into eletronics. I took apart my xbox once and then threw it away. I can fix car/boat engines and {censored} like that. Can tune a snowboard. Just don't care about doing the music stuff.
:idk:

I can toss a good salad.

I haven't had a good tossed salad in while...

JUST KIDDING I GET MY SALAD TOSSED ALL THE TIME.

• Members

I can do things "good enough", but if I'm going to record more than just demos or if I want something to last (better wiring job or nut replacement for example) I'll find a quality tech. while i can stumble my way through various recording software & editing, I dont know a damn thing about rack gear & integrating it into my recording setup, or mixing & mastering "properly".

I can do some basic soldering and have built a few pedals, but I wouldn't repair more than switches and jacks on pedals. I can bias my amp, but the twin has a pretty foolproof system, I prob wouldn't do any other amps.

I should do some reading up as it would be handy to have a basic idea, but I'll leave most of it to those who are pros.

• Members

I've fixed all kinds of stuff, modded my guitar, dabbled in BYOCs.

However, I draw the line at amp circuits, just because you're getting into dangerous voltage territory. I'll take apart the reverb tank and reseat valves, but I steer clear of the innards.

• Members

As far as amps go I'll change tubes and a speaker but beyond that I'll leave it to a pro...for the time being anyway.

For guitars I do most of my own work although I've not yet tried my hand at a refret. Intonation, relief, action, swapping out electronics/pickups I find to be kinda fun and help my friends out whenever I can. I've done setup and maintenance work for friends on a Suhr, an old Gibson LP, an American Deluxe Strat and various other lower quality guitars and everyone's been happy......so that's pretty cool.

• Members

For guitars I do most of my own work although I've not yet tried my hand at a refret.

honestly, doing fretwork is an art. I can do it, but I'd much rather spend the money and have it done by either a plek machine or a seasoned pro (preferably both). It such a precise art. When they level and dress them they can do a better job without taking off as much material too, so you don't need to refret as soon.

• Members

whats the prognosis subaloni?

New powertubes, new pre-tubes, switched the resistors to .5 amp, resolder'd everything with lead, replaced 16 ohm jack, some other stuff...

basically when its done, I'll be able to play back in black again. :lol:

Archived