I never thought I'd be small tube amp guy,

Moustache_Bash

• Members

$350 for a 'reissue' or for a few bucks more a '60s original - I'll take the latter.

Not to say those aren't nice amps - they definitely are - its just with the originals going for just a little bit more I wonder what the appeal is for those things.

Got mine for $299 brand new.

I was unable to find a better deal.

Also, I have zero interest in having an old amp.

• Members

Just looked on the back, you're right. It's Korean. I thought Ampeg was making stuff in Vietnam at some point....

Its funny you say that, because I totally thought it was Vietnamese too, then when I took it apart and baaaaaaaaaam, peanut butter and jaaaaaaaaaaaam.

• Members

Got mine for $299 brand new.

I was unable to find a better deal.

Also, I have zero interest in having an old amp.

I got my vintage one for $350.

Also I have zero interest in new amps that need rubber bands around the tubes to work properly.

• Members

I got my vintage one for $350.

Yeah but it would be sacrilegious to modify it. You can take of these amps and modify it into almost anything you want instead of running out and buying a new amp when your tastes in music change. It's all point to point on turret board making it really easy to mod and the topography is just your basic long tailed pair phase inverter amp of which dozens of designs are based off.

• Members

Yeah but it would be sacrilegious to modify it. You can take of these amps and modify it into almost anything you want instead of running out and buying a new amp when your tastes in music change. It's all point to point on turret board making it really easy to mod and the topography is just your basic long tailed pair phase inverter amp of which dozens of designs are based off.

Who the hell are you - Dan Torres? Oh right, Dan Torres wouldn't give a {censored} if it was vintage before he modded it.

I was assuming he bought the amp because he liked how it sounded - my mistake.

• Members

Who the hell are you - Dan Torres? Oh right, Dan Torres wouldn't give a {censored} if it was vintage before he modded it.

I was assuming he bought the amp because he liked how it sounded - my mistake.

:lol:

But srs, they're a plywood cab, steel chassis, and turret board construction. Decent transformers. Pretty well made by today's standards and pretty cheap on the used market. If you got bored with it down the road you could convert it into one of a dozen other amps and not have it bother your conscience as I doubt you'll be seeing these skyrocket in price 20 years from now (see just about all the other vintage Ampeg's for more details). If you weren't handy doing the mods yourself I doubt an amp tech would charge you more than $100 or so to move a few caps and resistors around. Voil

Archived