Let's talk nu-metal.

Loobs

• Members

i still have a couple korn albums on my ipod, probably some linkin park too, and of course the deftones because they really were the shining light of that era. as bad as limp bizkit was, i still liked a lot of wes borland's stuff.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL man. I loved nu-metal too. In the 8th grade I had a friend who could shred, he was into Eric Johnson and Malmsteen, I guess he bought the first Korn album thinking it was legit metal and hated it so he just gave it to me. Then I was all about teh flog!
You know what numetal album I still love though is Roots by Sepultura, that thing sounds phenomenal and the songs are just heavy as {censored}.

• Members

I was never really into this stuff, but I did love Papa Roach. They were one of the first bands that I listened to that I wasn't introduced to by my parents (like The Beatles and The Cranberries). Once in a while I like to relisten to some stuff because some of it is just as catchy and riffy as when I first heard it.

[YOUTUBE]y-NXLOwUgRg[/YOUTUBE]

Funny though, some of my friends were really into the stuff back in the day and they still like to pop on some Limp Bizkit once in while and have a good nostalgic laugh and such. My one buddy actually saw them at a festival in Belgium last summer which turned out to be Fred Durst's birthday, so the guy had all the chicks in the crowd come on stage and dance until the stage was so full that people they were practically falling off. :lol:

• Members

LOL man. I loved nu-metal too. In the 8th grade I had a friend who could shred, he was into Eric Johnson and Malmsteen, I guess he bought the first Korn album thinking it was legit metal and hated it so he just gave it to me. Then I was all about teh flog!

You know what numetal album I still love though is Roots by Sepultura, that thing sounds phenomenal and the songs are just heavy as {censored}.

Yeah man, Roots sounds huge.

• Members

Loobs thats weird, I was at a halloween party on Saturday and all they played was Nut Metal?! Is this the hipsters taking nu metal and making it hip?

I had a cross breed love for some nu metal... Follow The Leader by Korn has some incredible tunes... Limp Bizkit, Fred Durst aside, have some mint tunes too... Boiler is {censored}ing quality...

....but, Nu Metal also gave us some {censored}ing wank.... Spineshank? Ergh, Stained? You having a laugh?

Thank god the Strokes and Libertines pulled me back from the brink...

• Members

My friend who is still heavily into his Nu metal invited me to see Stained in Camden the other week. I told him maybe, then looked them up on YouTube only to back track so fast it was like pulling the handbrake on the motorway.

Wtf?

Every song started with acoustic guitar before a bit of a chordy chorus. No riffs at all and like Nickleback but somehow more boring!

• Members

Using a metal analogy.

Nu metal is like foil. It's not that heavy and it was meant to be thrown away.

To give credit to where its due. Deftones and Korn were innovators. I'm not sure if 7 strings would be used if it werent for Korn. Not mention that they did have a very unique sound at the time.

• Members

My friend who is still heavily into his Nu metal invited me to see Stained in Camden the other week. I told him maybe, then looked them up on YouTube only to back track so fast it was like pulling the handbrake on the motorway.

Wtf?

Every song started with acoustic guitar before a bit of a chordy chorus. No riffs at all and like Nickleback but somehow more boring!

i'd find it hard to be friends with someone still 'heavily into nu metal'. If they're 14 that's another thing I guess. You're a patient man.

• Members

To give credit to where its due. Deftones and Korn were innovators. I'm not sure if 7 strings would be used if it werent for Korn. Not mention that they did have a very unique sound at the time.

Agreed. I can see why it was a breath of fresh air. Their first album came out quite a long time before nu-metal got really big though. Wasn't it out in 94?

• Members

Deftones are probably the only band who came out of all that with a good rep... even people i know who hate nu metal will agree that white pony is sublime... I recently got Saturday Night Wrist and was blown away... still never seen them live though...

As for the Libertines... I have zero respect for anyone in that band (actually no, Gary Powell is actually a top fella)... but the debut album was {censored} hot...

Archived