Mac vs PC (yes, again)

Tomkeen

• Members

So, I've killed my GAS for synths for hopefully a while. I need to focus more on making music than just looking for what synth would fit my rig (and budget).

Right now I don't actually record anything. I have a 4200+ X2 athlon desktop PC with 3GB RAM and a newer laptop (1.8Ghz Core2duo 3GB RAM). I run Cubase SX3 on both, but I hardly use the desktop anymore. Problem is, when I record midi on the laptop, the metronome starts to slow down, the whole sound is clipping etc etc. Recording audio works fine, but only for a few tracks. When recording more than some 3-4 tracks, cubase almost everytime crashes...

I've always had problems with recording on windows based computers, and it doesn't stimulate me to record anything. So that's why I'm wondering if a macbook is more stable than my laptop. I've heard and read that it's way better at audiorecording and playing softsynths. Please tell me how you record, and how it works out for you.

Many thanks,

Tom :wave:

If you don't optimize your system for audio recording, use the right OS, the right drivers and the right stuff, you will get always the same results. That is the ticket with Windows. Still, a good PC is as good as a good Mac for audio.

On Mac, the "optimization" process and hardware / OS matching is already done by Apple.

• Members

Sounds like you need to be posting on the Steinberg forum asking these questions. You're not using the warez version, and can register, right? ;) Most of the problems with Cubase and timing problems (esp MIDI timestamping etc) is well known by now. You can potentially fix many of the problems, but they're often down to a poor choice of hardware to begin with, so you might be fighting against the tide.

The Mac has all the same problems (it's a PC, just running a different OS). The difference is there's a limited number of configurations which mean there's less chance of conflicts because there's less configurations to test against. If you don't know anyone who understands all these issues, and feel the substantial price difference is worth it to you, then it might be a good option.

• Members

Sounds like you need to be posting on the Steinberg forum asking these questions. You're not using the warez version, and can register, right?
;)
Most of the problems with Cubase and timing problems (esp MIDI timestamping etc) is well known by now. You can potentially fix many of the problems, but they're often down to a poor choice of hardware to begin with, so you might be fighting against the tide.

The Mac has all the same problems (it's a PC, just running a different OS). The difference is there's a limited number of configurations which mean there's less chance of conflicts because there's less configurations to test against. If you don't know anyone who understands all these issues, and feel the substantial price difference is worth it to you, then it might be a good option.

Well I thought that I would be easier to post here, since I have an account here, and don't have one on the Steinberg forums. And to register for just one question that can be answered here too....

I did know people that helped me in the past with problems like these, but I don't speak to them anymore. I wouldn't want to bother one of my oldest friends for this, since he is busy doing music stuff here, and the other one I won't ever contact again.

Seems a Mac is a good decision for making musik, allbeit a little expensive. I think I'll just save up some cash and see if I still want to buy one when I have the money.

Does anyone use Garageband as their DAW? Is it decent software or useless?

• Members

Definitely Buy a Mac. As to which software to use, it all depends on what you're doing and how you work. For me, a former DP user and now a reluctant Logic Studio user, I find Logic maddening especially when it comes to recording external midi instruments. DP is sooooo simple in comparison it makes me think twice every time before I record in Logic. Logic OTOH has gobs more features, instruments, etc. that DP can't really touch.

aL

• Members

No, it's 8:30 PM here... I worked till 5 PM, and I work in a supermarket without an internet connection in reach
:cop:

LOL, I meant by your question are you bored like me? Hey, I started my EC&DP work this time around with a piece of paper and a pencil, just jotting stuff down about what I did all year. Coincidentally, I did some of the work while sitting on the toilet. Heck I do some of my best work there.

It sounds like you have plenty of processing power and might just need to tune your DAW PCs a bit. Clean up and compress your registries, make sure that only stuff you need running starts at boot-up, use the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file

How to set the 3GB startup switch

etc., etc. You might want to use some of that money that would go to a new Mac to upgrade to Cubase 4 (now 4.5.2). Also get yourself a good audio interface that is designed to send audio on multiple channels over firewire.

• Members

LOL, I meant by your question are you bored like me? Hey, I started my EC&DP work this time around with a piece of paper and a pencil, just jotting stuff down about what I did all year. Coincidentally, I did some of the work while sitting on the toilet. Heck I do some of my best work there.

Oops, gotta work on my English :facepalm:

The /3GB switch is supported only on the following operating systems:

* Windows 2000 Advanced Server

* Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

* Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

* Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

* Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition

I run Vista, so that wouldn't work for me.... But I had the same problems with XP. Maybe windows just isn't for me :cop:

• Members

Ultimately, the answer to the Mac vs PC question is usually the same - if you know your way around Windows and PCs, you can build/buy a machine that'll be more powerful than a Mac for a fraction of the price. Certainly lots of people are into that whole scene, which is fine for them, and maybe you. But...

...If you're not so inclined, would rather spend your time working on music as opposed to messing with computers, and have a few extra nickels to spend, you're probably better off with a Mac.

My wife, daughter, and son all have PCs that often require attention (I'm the resident IT guy). Thankfully, I use a Mac (two of them, actually), so at least I have two machines that are virtually maintenance free.

Also, add me to the list of mostly happy DP users, although I am still using 5.13.

• Members

Yup, I built my current PC because I wanted to do it for the fun of it. You may think me insane, but I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Not all are cut from the same silly mold as me, though (thank goodness).

• Members

Basically it depends on how much money you have to spend. You can get a good mac pro with 8 cores for about 4,000$ or you can get a good core I7 and overclock it for about 1,000$. Your choice :thu:. There also are macbooks like you mentioned and the imacs but if you are going to go mac might as well go pro. If you want I could help you build a pc and optimize it :).

• Members

I do prefer Macs but a well set-up Windows machine can do the job. Definitely optimize your laptop (by default Windows turns on all the boat anchor bells and whistles) and try something other than Cubase.

I have a copy of Cubase 4 and it will not run on my WinXP laptop (CPU too slow? not enough RAM?) but Live 7 and Reason 4 have no issues.

• Members

The Mac has four major advantages as I see 'em:

1. GarageBand is included. As with other included apps, GB's brain dead simplicity invites (nay, practically demands) those who wouldn't normally make music do so. One click bounces your song and loads it into iTunes for burning a CD. Or one click bounces your song and uploads it to your .me website. Or if and when you upgrade to Logic, all your GarageBand projects will import seamlessly.

Newbies never had it so good.

2. Apogee Symphony is really the only solution for ProTools|HD-level performance in a host-based system. The total throughput latency is only 1.6 ms at 96k, which is faster than a TDM MIXplus rig. Unfortunately, Symphony only works in a Mac Pro tower or MacBook Pro laptop.

3. Euphonix MC Artist series is definitely the de facto DAW controller and like Symphony, only currently works on the Mac. Its touchscreen supports an unlimited set of macro commands that can basically perform any function or combination of functions within Logic, ProTools, DP, Cubase, or Nuendo from one touch. Apogee and Euphonix have a very close relationship with Apple, and you can tell the three have spent a lot of time getting everything right, as a Logic/Symphony/MC Artist system is so tightly integrated, it feels as if Apple designed the whole thing.

4. All things equal, OSX is on average still less problematic and easier to troubleshoot than Windows. In no way, shape, or form is this to imply that PCs can't be rock solid

• Members

I'd have to agree with #4 ...

I haven't done much of anything with my MacBookPro I bought 1 1/2 years ago ... except fill the hard drive to near capacity ...

Still seems to run pretty fresh ... whereas any of my Windoes machines would be ready for a fresh install ...

Need to do myself a favor, though, and get more RAM installed ... (only 2 gigs :facepalm: Though recording up to 10 tracks simultaneously is never a problem even with 5200 rpm hard drive ... :facepalm:)

• Members

So basically it's like:

- PC can be as powerful as Mac for less money, but you need to put some work and time in it to get it to run just as smooth

- Mac is more expensive but you don't have to be a (semi)expert to get it to run without further issues.

In my case the Mac seems like a very good deal (granted it's more expensive..). I'm not THAT good with computers (I can interwebz and stuff) and I don't have a lot of time on my hands right now. I'll check out the iMacs and new Macbooks, and will make a decision soon.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Members

I hate to use the cliche, but the interface is just more elegant ... There's something about Windows that not as smooth as the Mac ... After a year and half after crossing over, I find Macs much preferable ...

BTW ... Loved my Amiga 500 ... If there's anything to hate Apple for is killing Commodore ... Did they? Why did the ole "C" croak? For me, they just never seemed to come up with an upgrade that seemed compelling ... So I got a ... Centris with my first-ever CD-ROM drive ... ooooh! ...

• Members

I'll check out the iMacs and new Macbooks, and will make a decision soon.

For what it's worth, you don't have to spend huge dollars to have a perfectly awesome computer to make/record music with.

I mostly do MIDI sequencing, but I often run several dozen MIDI tracks, a dozen stereo audio tracks, and several softsynths simultaneously without a hiccup from my CPU. And just for grins, I once loaded drum loops into 30+ stereo audio tracks and played them all back... Digital Performer didn't even break a sweat, and Apple's system profile program said that my CPU was about 75% idle.

I've got a 2.4 ghz iMac with 2GB RAM - I think you can get a new iMac with these specs for $1499.

It's been my experience that some softsynths will really grab CPU cycles, as will very high-end effects. If you're planning to run a ton of softsynths, and/or record vocals, etc. with pristine reverb plugins, buy as much horsepower as you can afford.

• Members

Well I thought that I would be easier to post here, since I have an account here, and don't have one on the Steinberg forums. And to register for just one question that can be answered here too....

I did know people that helped me in the past with problems like these, but I don't speak to them anymore. I wouldn't want to bother one of my oldest friends for this, since he is busy doing music stuff here, and the other one I won't ever contact again.

Seems a Mac is a good decision for making musik, allbeit a little expensive. I think I'll just save up some cash and see if I still want to buy one when I have the money.

Does anyone use Garageband as their DAW? Is it decent software or useless?

I have the MacBook, an older model with FireWire and I use GB as my recording studio. There are much more expensive and sophisticated apps, but GB works for me. When I hear people's concerns about Macs being a lot more expensive than PC equivalents, if you compare the specs between the 2 systems, that is the best way to choose what is the best fit. But remember that Macs come with a ton of useful software that is not included with PCs. That alone justifies paying a bit more for a Mac and not worrying about PC virus and other problems. But there is something out there for everyone that can workout the best

• Members

I found Garageband and iMovie practically worthless and was forced to upgrade to Logic Express and Final Cut Express almost immediately ... However, for the most part I find the prices reasonable even if I haven't been blown away by the software ...

For some perverse reason, I seem to like Cubase and Vegas better ... Or at least it "seemed" better ... That part is strange because I wouldn't want for a moment to go back to that previous computing incarnation ... Maybe I need to check out Digital Performer ...

Is there a rival Mac editing program to Final Cut?

• Members

If you go Mac, check out the units on sale in the Refurbished section - could save you some cash. Be sure to get AppleCare if you get a refurb Mac. My coworker got her Macbook Pro for about $1000 off this way, but forgot to get AppleCare, so she had to pay for a replacement hard drive. Still, she saved overall even with the cost of a new HD factored in.

• Members

I used Garageband to dabble for quite a while. It's wonderfully simple to use and fills its niche pretty nicely. It has some sharp limitations, though, so I ultimately upgraded to Logic Express ($200) which is astonishing in its power if not ease-of-use.

Archived