affordable small practice amps?

misterstomach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cheap peavey bandit type of things are right up my alley for what i need. Modeling amps make me want to vomit. Even if they sound good, the idea sickens me and i don't think i could have one in the room where i sleep and have sex. It would defile my sanctuary. Thanks for all the suggestions so far though.

• Members

Cheap peavey bandit type of things are right up my alley for what i need. Modeling amps make me want to vomit. Even if they sound good, the idea sickens me and i don't think i could have one in the room where i sleep and have sex. It would defile my sanctuary. Thanks for all the suggestions so far though.

Haha awesome. I feel the same way about that {censored}.

• Members

LOL - well, we wouldn't want to defile your sanctuary :-) Try the Vox Pathfinder - I haven't played one, but have played other of their SS amps and have really liked them (the old Cambridge ones are awesome if you fix the tremolo problem). They also seem to get a lot of good reviews here and on other boards. The little 5 watt tube amps can be pretty good at low volumes, but they tend to sing at a volume that's quite a bit above bedroom level. The Champ 600 is pretty nice/warm at low volume and takes pedals well.

• Members

LOL - well, we wouldn't want to defile your sanctuary :-) Try the Vox Pathfinder - I haven't played one, but have played other of their SS amps and have really liked them (the old Cambridge ones are awesome if you fix the tremolo problem). They also seem to get a lot of good reviews here and on other boards. The little 5 watt tube amps can be pretty good at low volumes, but they tend to sing at a volume that's quite a bit above bedroom level. The Champ 600 is pretty nice/warm at low volume and takes pedals well.

I have a few friends that have Vox Pathfinder R amps. They are kick ass little amps for their size.

• Members

If I was you I would track down a used ZT Amps Lunchbox or Club. I had a chance to play both a while ago and they are fabulous amps... And as far as taking pedals goes, Nels Cline used a lunchbox the last two times I saw him at the Village Vanguard and it sounded great with fuzz and the like.

• Members

Picked up a old orange roland cube 40 the other day, little thing punches well above its weight and takes fuzz pretty darn well for a ss. The spring reverb aint to bad for shallow sounds and best of all its tiny. Presuming all the older roland cubes sound the same I would say its worth looking for one.

• Members

If I was you I would track down a used ZT Amps Lunchbox or Club. I had a chance to play both a while ago and they are fabulous amps... And as far as taking pedals goes, Nels Cline used a lunchbox the last two times I saw him at the Village Vanguard and it sounded great with fuzz and the like.

oh hai!

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=12236

• Members

I have a Pro Jr that sounds stellar clean, but impo it's not at all great for use with dirt pedals. Maybe it sounds as good as any 10" speaker can allows, I wouldn't know. The tubes, or bias might be the problem too, but since nothing sounds "bad", especially not clean...I suspect it's just not that pedal friendly. Got to admit though, I mainly use my fuzz peds in a 'contemporary' way, and all my other od/dist tones are more to the high gian side as well. Which obviously is something that typicaly sounds good with big loud amps.

• Members

Another for the Tweaker. Love it, just know if you're playing live you gotta have the Master up at about 50% at least or else you'll sound like poo. But the low volume sounds are good enough for practice and such.

eh, once you get a cab or get the combo instead he'll be way out of his price range. id suggest the jet city combo but i hate the way the jet city 20 watt sounds with pedals.

• Members

eh, once you get a cab or get the combo instead he'll be way out of his price range. id suggest the jet city combo but i hate the way the jet city 20 watt sounds with pedals.

Didn't see the $200 in the OP since there were a ton of replies for Tweaker already. Got mine used for $250 so if he has a cab (possible having 2 - 100W Marshalls) he might be set. If not, probably have to go SS... Pathfinder, Mustang, or Cube.

• Members

even thinking about playing a peavey bandit makes me want to not play guitar. when i was starting out in the late 80s, early nineties about 75% of beginners used them. theyre terrible. they define the stigma of bad sounding ss amps.

dont mean to poo poo suggestions, just looking out for misterstomach. :idk:

• Members

even thinking about playing a peavey bandit makes me want to not play guitar. when i was starting out in the late 80s, early nineties about 75% of beginners used them. theyre terrible. they define the stigma of bad sounding ss amps.

dont mean to poo poo suggestions, just looking out for misterstomach.
:idk:

75& of beginners use utterly {censored} EQ settings and overdo the gain. If you have decent OD pedals and use the gain from them rather than amp gain, they're totally fine.

Archived