the new ZOOM G3 gets flogged by bobby d - best $199 modeler pedal EVAR

Bobby D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alright, screw it I just ordered one. I'll definitely be using it as an M5/ M9 substitute, though the idea of using something like the Bassman or Hiwatt amp model as an overdrive is also appealing. Other than that, the main things I'll probably end up using are the delays, trem, univibe, octave, reverb, synth, and bitcrusher. I'm really glad I didn't spend $100 on a bitcrusher like I was thinking about a while back.

• Members

I have a probably silly question... Can i use this zoom g3 as a regular delay stomp box? I mean say, i have my OD pedal on then i want a delay sound, can i stomp on this g3 with no "delay" when engaged?

I had a g2 before and it had an annoying delay when it is engaged from the "bypass" mode

• Members

Alright, mine came in yesterday. I played with it a bit under less than optimal circumstances, because I didn't have an amp at my apartment. I basically just set up a clean amp model and went through the effects one by one. Here are some thoughts:

-There are a lot of effects here. I wish there was a way to sort through them rather than having to scroll through every one. Once I find the 5-10 I want to use I'll set up patches, but I haven't tried that yet.

-Tuner kind of sucks. It's very jumpy and reminds me of those cheap Korg digitals. I was hoping I would be able to take the Polytune off my board, but that isn't happening. You have to hold down the tuner button for about 4 seconds to get it to mute anyway.

-Other than that I'm really happy. I haven't found any effect that seemed fake or unusable. Some of the octave/pitch bends are a little glitchy, but I can't compare them to other versions and I kind of like the broken sounds anyway. I'm keeping OD and fuzz on my board, but I was pleasantly surprised by some of the dirt sounds. I could see myself using them occasionally as a different flavor. Reverbs and delays sound good. Some fun mods and filters to play with. The other test will actually be using it with an amp at a real band practice, but I definitely see myself keeping it.

Valvestate, I wasn't really listening for it, but I don't think I heard any delay turning effects on. I can doublecheck on that.

• Members

No, there is no delay when engaging effects. It works great as a mod/delay/reverb box after analog dirt pedals. I've been using it this way @ church since it came out. I was a pretty early adopter of the G3, I guess, and it just works for me.

To my ears, the bypass does nothing negative to tone.

• Members

No, there is no delay when engaging effects. It works great as a mod/delay/reverb box after analog dirt pedals. I've been using it this way @ church since it came out. I was a pretty early adopter of the G3, I guess, and it just works for me.

To my ears, the bypass does nothing negative to tone.

Yeah, definitely no delay. I keep finding new fun effects, like the trigger delay into a bit crusher. I like this thing more and more. I'd feel perfectly fine using the amp models into a PA as a backup should my amp ever blow up during a set. Other than being sad about my amp blowing up, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Since I've started playing a small gig, I need some mods, would love a looper, and this thing could kick my AD-9 and DE7 off of my board. Funny someone bumped this yesterday, I randomly started thinking about getting one and saw this again.

I'd use my analog dirt still, but how are the fuzz face a muff models? Having only ever owned a fuzz face clone and never a muff, I'm not expecting any crystal lattice booteek muff tones.

Archived