Recommend me a versatile OD pedal...

AlexMC

• Members

A stock SD1 is a damn nice pedal for little cash. I bought the AnalogMan version with the switch for asymetrical/symetrical clipping, but a regular SD1 can cover a lot of ground.

I've always found volume and tone control settings to be important when working with an overdrive.

• Members

Versatility = Rat

It's not transparent though, there's quite a bit of bass roll-offs. I've had two in the past, and I found them both pretty lo-fi - some like it, some don't. Unfortunately, it's not the kind of low fidelity that I'm into. Regardless, it's one of the classic stompboxes which you should try at some point if you haven't already.

Stock, it's an okay overdrive, a fabulous distortion and a mediocre fuzz IMHO, but modded, it's another story.

Anyway, welcome aboard. :wave:

• Members

I need a dirt pedal or two for the following tones: Gary Moore, David Gilmour, Peter Green, BB King.

What guitar and amp are we dealing with here? That might help people narrow down their recommendations.

To be honest, IMO you'll get a lot closer to sounding like the players on your list by trying to emulate their playing- pick attack, phrasing, vibrato, how they play hammer-ons, pull-offs and bends etc- than by buying a pedal that promises to sound like the right amp for the job or something- those players all have distinctive "voice" that would make them sound like themselves if you gave them a hot pink Charvel and a $10 travel amp. The same is true for just about every player worth listening to.

IMO, your best bet would be to find a nice versatile drive pedal (or two...) that will get you in the ballpark in terms of the level of gain you need, then do the rest of the work by learning how to play the {censored} out of your guitar. Of the dirt pedals I use, the one that covers the most ground in that respect is the BYOC RAT clone, which will happily go from very light grit to full-on distortion and sustain of the sort you'll need for your Gary Moore tones. Alternatively, a second Bad Monkey might work- that way you can use both together for the higher gain sounds you need and one or other on its own for the lower gain ones. Several good players, most notably Stevie Ray Vaughan went the route of using two Tubescreamer type pedals like that.

Transparent? Horse{censored}. Do you like how it sounds? Mid-hump-sounding OD pedals have been around a long time for good reasons that the bedroom shredders on here will never comprehend. Are they the perfect tone for everything? No, but the mighty mid-hump doesn't deserve the bad press it gets from internet corksniffers.

• Members

Yeay, another "which dirt box thread":)

J/k, We've all been there. Just go out and buy a dirty little secret, plextortion, green rhino, OCD, Timmy, Hotcake, Crunch Box, SD1, Rat, BOR, etc...Pick whichever one(s) you like best and flip the other ones. Flipping will be the easy part, trust me:)

As you see you get another suggestion with every reply, it all comes down to your own taste and style, and not to mension your amp and guitar. The popular ones like the ones I mensioned are eay to get rid of with no loss, if you buy usd ofcourse.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Just bought my first tube amp but it's completely clean...I need a dirt pedal or two for the following tones: Gary Moore, David Gilmour, Peter Green, BB King. All I've got is a Digitech Bad Monkey but it's not very transparent and doesn't have enough drive for some applications...

Considering the Okko Diablo but it's kinda expensive...

PTD Mini Bone (or Bone Machine).

Most videos tout its ability to do those horn fuzz sounds, but it does a great low gain OD, full rock OD, Fuzz Face style fuzz, and spitty fuzz. That seems to hit the influences you name. Dynamics rival just about anything else I've tried - you can do all those shades just with your volume knob if you wish. And it does all these styles incredibly well. It's really becoming the only drive/fuzz I turn on. $199 for the Mini-Bone.

Archived