Macbook users

Gonkboy

• Members

My poor old laptop is getting old and I'm thinking about making the switch to apple. I've heard good things and I use Traktor Pro 2 which people say runs best on a Mac. What i'd like to know is how reliable, durable, and easy to use are Macs? I've been a PC man all my life.

Educate me.

• Members

I have the same Macbook I bought new in summer '07. Came stock with 1GB ram and OS Tiger, I think. I upgraded it in 2010 with 4GB ram, 7200rpm 320GB HD, and Snow Leopard. Felt like a brand new computer when I did. It went from 2-minute startups to 20-second startups. Been using Logic intensively. I'm currently using an Acer external monitor which is nice for running a DAW, keeping the interface mixer separate on the laptop's screen.

The Macbook that I have has been very reliable. I used to take it everywhere with me. Now I prefer to leave it at home because it is getting old. Still lots of life in it, especially if I clean the fan and clear the hard drive once more. My next computer will probably be an iMac.

My poor old laptop is getting old and I'm thinking about making the switch to apple. I've heard good things and I use Traktor Pro 2 which people say runs best on a Mac. What i'd like to know is how reliable, durable, and easy to use are Macs? I've been a PC man all my life.

Educate me.

Around this time last year - the first or second day of NAMM actually - my one year old MacBook decided to die on me in my room in the Marriott Hotel. I drove back to Riverside at 4AM to fetch my Mac OSX install disk, got back to Anaheim and tried to recover, only to discover the drive was in seriously bad shape. :freak:

I went to the Apple store that morning and tried to get it fixed. It took some serious discussions to get them to put a new battery and new HDD into the thing so I could continue to post show reports, upload pics, etc. To their credit, they eventually did - and under warranty - but it was really touch and go for a while there.

After I got home, I was able to recover probably 70% of the stuff off that drive by putting it into an external enclosure and working some hardware / software magic. :ninja: Avoid the problems and remember to do your backups folks! :cop:

But overall, it's been a good machine. I mean that. :) It's relatively fast and definitely portable. It came with 1 GB of RAM, and I bumped it up to 4GB myself for about $52. I still want to get a iPad eventually, but for typing, nothing beats a full screen and separate keyboard IMHO. And I have to do a fair amount of typing...

All in all, I've been happy with it. I do use it with a separate keyboard, mouse and a much larger screen when I'm not on the go - it makes it much easier to see things. If I was in my 20s or 30s, I wouldn't be worried about that, but at my age, a bigger screen definitely helps.

• Members

I have the same Macbook I
bought new in summer '07
. Came stock with 1GB ram and OS Tiger, I think. I upgraded it in 2010 with 4GB ram, 7200rpm 320GB HD, and Snow Leopard. Felt like a brand new computer when I did. It went from 2-minute startups to 20-second startups. Been using Logic intensively. I'm currently using an Acer external monitor which is nice for running a DAW, keeping the interface mixer separate on the laptop's screen.

The Macbook that I have has been very reliable. I used to take it everywhere with me. Now I prefer to leave it at home because it
is
getting old. Still lots of life in it, especially if I
clean the fan
and clear the hard drive once more. My next computer will probably be an iMac.

I got mine autumn '07 (when Leopard came out) and it's still going strong. I need a new hard drive though, 150 GB just isn't enough now.

My trackpad button was getting a bit gunked up recently - it was still working but wasn't clicking cleanly - so I found out how to take the top panel off so I could get to the back of it to clean it out

• Members

Only had PCs for years, until getting my first Mac nearly three years ago. So many great touches, it's still fast, still feels top of the range (even though I'm on Leopard version of the operating sysetm - which is five years old). One of the best parts is I don't have to be an IT technician to make it work - less faffing, more getting {censored} done.

• Members

I've switched to Macs about seven years ago, and never looked back. Macs are very easy to learn and
there is a less likely chance
headaches about your computer slowing down due to malware, viruses and so on. I say go for it.

Fixed.

• Members

Works very well while it works. Enjoy getting it fixed if anything ever messes up though; people at Apple stores are a bunch of morons. It doesn't seem to happen too often, but once it happens once, it always seems to happen again soon after.

Arguably more reliable than Windows laptops - people are going to treat a $1500 laptop better than a $500 laptop, so that kind of skews things. Then again, all laptops are built as disposable crap these days (ie. ~33$ die within 2 years and ~67% within 3), so I'm pretty cynical about spending any real money on them to begin with...

Virus argument is pointless. You have to be a chump on the internet to end up with viruses and give it a couple years when/if they begin to be a decent portion of computers being used and we'll start to see more viruses for Macs.

In the end, the best thing to do is to go try them out for yourself. They certainly feel and look nice, but play with the OS and see how you like it. If you like to tweak, see what your options are for that. Definitely stand back and look at which software you tend to use before making the switch to make sure there's at the very least an existing equivalent.

• Members

This thread is of interest to me. I have an Ipad2 and quite like it so I would consider getting an mac next (and given I have a friend that works for Apple I can get a discount). The one concern I have is that my desktop is PC and always has been so all the software I have is PC based. I know you can run windows based software on a mac but is it worthwhile to do so?

• Members

This thread is of interest to me. I have an Ipad2 and quite like it so I would consider getting an mac next (and given I have a friend that works for Apple I can get a discount). The one concern I have is that my desktop is PC and always has been so all the software I have is PC based. I know you can run windows based software on a mac but is it worthwhile to do so?

Have you checked that there aren't mac versions of the programs you use? there usually are.

I've never used windows on my mac but I know people who do with no problems.

• Members

I have a huge amount of Apple products in my home (4 Mac Mini's, 2 iPad's, 4 iPhones in use, 2 MacBook Pro's, Apple tv, iPods) and a few non Apple products (netbook running Windows XP and Ubuntu, and a hackint0sh netbook). I think Apple makes great, reliable hardware and an awesome operating system. And while there are some bad cases, Apple support is usually great. Since you can only (technically) use Mac on an Apple computer, your problem usually gets solved pretty quick because there's no circle of pointing fingers with issues from PC companies and Microsoft. I've had no real issues with any of these products.

And hey, even if you decide Windows is still your thing, you can always partition the hardrive on a Mac to run Windows and OS X with BootCamp. 2 of the Mac Mini's I have are set up that way with Windows being the primarily used OS.

So yeah, I totally recommend Apple/Mac stuff.

• Members

Just made the switch from PC to mac about 2 weeks ago and im pretty happy. Im really liking my mac but i havent really done much as far as recording goes with it yet but im pretty happy with it. if you can get over spending a butt load of cash, its worth it.

• Members

love my mac! been a user from a very long time. i found it extremely easy to transition, and I love the operating system.

My mac is prob going to crap out on me and I am thinking bout building a hackintosh. you can build an awesomely built computer for half the price, which i need for my line of work. can seem pretty daunting on what to buy/build/get it working, but there is tons of info. also if you don't like it you will have an awesomely built pc. don't have to, but just throwing another option out there. http://www.hackintosh.com/

• Members

Mine was about two and a half years old when the graphics card decided to give up. The problem only got worse after the apple repair dudes replaced the whole mother board, which was under extended warrantee because of the insane amount of {censored}ty graphics card in the macbook pro's from that period.

Now they refuse to look at it again unless I pay big bucks. Even if I ever can or want to spend that kind of money on another mac, I'll probably get the best pc I can afford, just because of the {censored}ty customer service. The hardware in macbooks is just as reliable or unreliable as on most other big brand laptops, but I'd glady pay hundreds of bucks extra just for the OS and nice unibody or whatever. Not to mension not having to worry about viruses and worms and all that...

But if I get better customer service and warranty on a $700 HP, I'll pass for the $2K mac from now on. Not being forced to use itunes woud be a nice bonus as well.

• Members

I use a PC for work. I bought a Macbook Air this year for personal use. You can run Windows in a VM and you don't have to reboot to do it. You just launch it as you need it. Windows 7 runs well enough on the Macbook's hardware where it isn't a problem.

• Members

About the same, I bought a MacBook Pro (Intel i5/320 GB/4GB ram) two months ago. I haven't tried Garageband yet but I think I'm going to do it since I need something to record my rehearsals.

Is there a better app to record than Garageband? I need something free though, my savings are a little bit low right now.

• Members

About the same, I bought a MacBook Pro (Intel i5/320 GB/4GB ram) two months ago. I haven't tried Garageband yet but I think I'm going to do it since I need something to record my rehearsals.

Is there a better app to record than Garageband? I need something free though, my savings are a little bit low right now.

Garageband is awesome.

Archived