They Don't Hire Mechanics To Design Cars...

Player99

• Members

Yap, I like the thumb over the neck too. But the worst problem I see to this guitar is that you have to be a badass good guitarist. You cannot sow up with it and just play some noob chops..

Oh, I don't know about that

• Members

The Teuffel is certainly the most German-looking guitar I've seen.

I like the new Fender. Kind of like a futuristic jaguar shape but still pretty classy.

Anyway...I dunno. My friend Domingos is a builder and designer and his guitars are usually in shapes I like:

http://dfialho.com/guitars.html

Maybe some of these companies just don't have very good design departments because they mainly make their money by working from designs they perfected in the 60s.

I actually would like to design a guitar body soon. I already do the electronics part.

• Members

Well, I don't have a scanner available and was snowed in all afternoon, so whipped this up on MS Paint. Nowhere near a finished piece, kinda laughable. I'd have to print one out life size first, then take that design and play with the contours a lot, but you get the idea. It takes the RKO Rocket and mixes it with a Gibson Firebird, plus my own touches. That's more or less my formula, take funky pawn shop guitars and re-imagine/sculpt them as classy, top tier instruments.

inferno-1.jpg

Traditional cherry red stain on a standard, not flame finished wood. Other details that could be added for schmancy points, a double leveled pickgaurd where the solid black area would be a separate, slightly raised piece, and a clear epoxy truss rod cover over 3d black letters on white. Font similar to the original, but sharper, and more masculine. Or some sort of fancy plexiglass over a print. Clear plastic is cool. The side pieces could also be flat and not angled, not sure on that. The pickups would be some sort of filtertron or GFS. Another crazy idea would be swapable side planks and headstock shape (which would fit over a core that held the tuners and neck in one piece). Tuners I'd have to see, either old school Klusons or Grovers. Tough call. Chrome, white? Oval or those teeth lookin ones?

Here's the bomber logos. Another unrealistic idea, but the idea would be to etch them in and fill em with bright, pure enamel. Maybe they could be random, or come with custom orders. Maybe a little to silly, not sure. I thought an angle could be they were "Made in 'Mericuh" and evoke that old school industrial charm. It'd give it character, while being subtle.

The knobs I would like to be chrome sprayed (better than the example), custom, neo-60s muscle car/clothes dryer knobs, but flat top chrome Teles would be fine. Also gold Ibanez Speedknobs.

Others I want to mutate are the Teisco Del Ray and Supro Coronado. Eastwood did a version, but I think they missed a lot of the sharp details and the best color. Maybe the PG silkscreen and two tone metal control plate would have cost more, but they coulda used nice gibson top hats and the sweeeat clear coat. That's an early model, but they did it on later ones two.

I also did a customary Kiskake or whatever it is custom. The chrome ring around black was used as a substitute for Filtertron type PUs. I thought it'd be neat to do one off art guitars, either by select young/upcoming/some guy I know artists, or tasteful imitations of famous abstract artists.

teles.jpg

• Members

What would you do?

I don't know if I'd be a customer for this but based on the body style:

Replace the bridge with a recessed TOM and through body ferrules

Pickguard in a more Mustang shape sans metal control plate

Rear routed control cavity, gibson toggle, 2 vol 1 tone

Hum sized modern pups such as p-rails or alumitones or some other fancy {censored}

• Members

I dunno - a TV repair man named Leo started making guitar amps that everybody liked and almost 70 years later nobody has really strayed very far from from his design ethic with any real success.

Guitars are an interface. They need certain attributes to make them useable and capable of expression. Seems like the logical people to design stuff like that are the ones who know mechanically how that seamless interface should be engineered so that it doesn't get in the way of the creative endeavor.

• Members

The original Firebird was deigned by a car designer.

From wikipedia:

"The president of Gibson, Ted McCarty, hired car designer Ray Dietrich to design a guitar that would have popular appeal. Under Dietrich, the Firebird took on the lines of mid-50s car tailfins."

Teuffel considers himself an inventor. He built guitars for a long time before studying industrial design.

http://www.teuffel.com/english/teuffel/teuffel.htm

• Members

I dunno - a TV repair man named Leo started making guitar amps that everybody liked and almost 70 years later nobody has really strayed very far from from his design ethic with any real success.

It depends how you define "design ethic" to be honest. There's never been an amp that's "changed the industry" completely, but there are some very influential amplifiers within specific time periods and within specific musical 'scenes' that have been very successful without playing off the Fender school of thought ("what's the minimum number of parts you can use for this feature set?"); the jazz chorus, for example.

There's also a clarification required here where we have to say that Fender Plc. are not making amps today particularly using "leo's design ethic", although plenty of people are IMO.

• Members

I would build a strat style with a shorter scale (24.75")

I would put in the new Variax, plus the Wilkinson auto tune bridge (but tweak it to work with a tremolo, preferably the Blade Runner) AND have it Roland ready. Locking tuners and a headstock angled so no string trees are required. Stainless frets and the Warmoth double truss rod. I like the idea of the rear routing to get at the wiring.

Archived