They Don't Hire Mechanics To Design Cars...

Player99

• Members

So why do guitar companies get the builder guy to design guitars? Most builders start out repairing, and when they do build, they make copies of classic designs. They are not designers or artists.

When Porsche wants a new design they don't look for the best mechanic to design the car. They hire a design engineer. A car design artist.

What guitar companies need to do is find a really good artist/sculpture who is very knowledgeable about guitars- the history, classics, all the different makers and model who also plays at a very high level. Contract that guy to come up with a new design, not the mechanic.

What got me thinking about this was the new Tyler Variax. I am a strat player and so I am interested in the Tyler 69 model. But the design sucks for me. The headstock looks like an old cow jawbone. The pickguard is chopped off. The black bridge pickup looks out of place. So I went the Tyler guitar site and his designs are...well...not for me. I know some people think the opposite, but I was less than impressed.

• Members

Got a point though .. we need more Teuffel and less Ibanez

Ha! I was think more in the classic design vein. It is hard to improve on a strat, tele, Les Paul, 335, Gretch... Whenever a builder does, to me it looks like something is missing. I also think that headstock design is really important. So many headstock designs look bad IMO.

• Members

I'll take that.

Gun metal black PG, with thin, white laser etching outline line, have the F be filled in with a lighter metal in some modern mesh pattern. Standard Tele PU hardware, standard tele flat top chrome knobs. Rosewood fretboard with dots and black finished headstock with white lettering. Maybe block on rosewood. Strat input on the side.

What do I win? :lol::facepalm:

But what's missing from the designs? Everything. Most new guitars are clearly not designed by anyone with a shred of visual/graphic design schooling/experience. They aren't balanced, the colors are horrid, and there's no consistency in style from the the body, to the logo, to the colors, to the hardware. The ones made by designers are usually hacks, and they don't understand they're making a utilitarian object. While stylish, the style shouldn't over the fact it's a tool. Taste basically. They're missing taste, talent and class.

Just take the colors. The colors. Jeebus, you think they'd never stepped outside in the past 15 years. Nobody uses the colors they do anymore. Somebody please take guitar designers to their nearest car dealership, and show them what colors people are using nowadays. Worked for Fender in the 50s.

• Members

I wonder why is it that difficult to evolve guitar designs. Teles strats and Les Pauls seem to just work fine, even for "modern" musicians. It's like people were driving 50s design cars these days!

But for some reason classic Fenders and Gibsons still look just right, were they so ahead to their time they still didn't got to their life cycle end?

A lot of new designs have been tried, but we all tend to find the older designs more appealing and comfortable to use. Don't forget it's not only design as in the looks but ergonomics should be the most important point for a new design (the firebird X atrocity comes to mind).. Parker tried it in the 90s, yet no many of these are seen on pubs and shows. I said Teuffel because they are different to anything done before and people who tried them say the play so good. )We may just need a Chinese copy for a 1/10 of the price)

I just know I love my Les Paul, Tele and jaguar!

Archived