Dweezil Zappa's current rig

elantric

• Members

I caught the "Zappa plays Zappa" show last night, and got a chance to talk with Dweezil and take pics of his touring gear.

most are here:

Iphone video clip

Here's a short Iphone video scan of his live AxeFX MFC-101 Controller and many boutique pedals.

He used a a custom FX pedal switcher, and AxeFX Ultra feeding both the house PA and pair a QSC K12 Powered Monitors behind him in stereo for stage monitor - but the whole band was using IEM systems, and I was parked at the front of the stage the whole night and heard mostly instruments, while house PA vocals were sent above my head and behind me.

It was curious to observe a few aspects of how Dweezil used his 4 AXE-FX Expression pedals. The Volume control pedal was standard, but the other three FX expressions pedals were dialed to operate in reverse, - meaning toe down was "off" or dry, and heel down was 100% Effect. It actually made a lot of sense ergonomically, for working controls on a busy stage.

Frankly - I need to consult a few current boutique pedal gurus to tell me what 90% of Dweezils pedals are.

Seems he likes most all the Jam Pedals

http://www.jampedals.com

It was a great show, excellent band! Catch the Zappa Plays Zappa show if it comes to a town near you if you can.

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

--

I was most impressed with the Jam Pedals "Big Chill" pedal (the one with the pic of planet Saturn in the pic below:

IMG_3485.jpg

This used a separate Expression pedal and gave an instant Steve Stevens like repeat oscillation / machine gun out of whack tone - I loved it.

-- From JAM Pedal:

"

I am glad you like my new pedal "the BiG CHiLL" ;)

The one Dweezil has, is one of the few prototypes I gave to a selected number of artists (Zappa, Nels Cline, Eivind Aarset, Julien Kasper).

The final version will be ready most probably after summer, with a few added features too.

thank you,

best regards,

jannis"

• Members

Very cool. I'm a huge Zappa fan. Saw Frank 9 times and ZPZ 4. I'm considering Dweezilla next year.

Dweezil is a really nice guy and is very humble. I'm so proud for Frank of all the work and effort that Dweezil has put into ZPZ. It's also made him an amazing guitarist in his own right.

• Members

Very cool. I'm a huge Zappa fan. Saw Frank 9 times and ZPZ 4. I'm considering Dweezilla next year.

Dweezil is a really nice guy and is very humble. I'm so proud for Frank of all the work and effort that Dweezil has put into ZPZ. It's also made him an amazing guitarist in his own right.

Agreed. I feel like I did not realize how sick Dweezil was until I saw him do ZPZ a few years back.

• Members

The blue one is a Crazy Tube Circuits Vyagra boost and the silver is a Crazy Tube Circuits Pin Up fuzz.

I 'm doing the graphics on these pedals, Frank is my favorite artist ever, and I'm more than excited that Dweezil

loves our pedals, he also has a Starlight and a blackface Stardust.

• Members

Hi Folks,

I'm the guy who introduced Dweezil to JAM Pedals and Crazy Tubes, contacting him back in December about his upcoming ZPZ and Experience Hendrix tours. On the last Hendrix tour we had a bunch of players using JAM (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, David Hidalgo, Cesar Rosas, Robert Randolph, the Slide Brothers, etc.) and thought that both JAM and Crazy Tubes would be a good fit with Dweezil.

I run ToneConcepts Inc. and we represent JAM and Crazy Tubes in North America. I handle artist relations and have set up a bunch of artists who we admire.

After NAMM, my partner Leo and I spent an afternoon with Dweezil in the studio testing JAM and Crazy Tubes. Lots of great feedback. We're are thrilled that Dweezil is happy with his rig.

In the photos (thanks for the great coverage S.C!) Dweezil is using:

JAM Pedals Big Chill (Super Tremolo)

JAM Pedals Delay Llama+ with Expression Pedal

JAM Pedals TubeDreamer88 (incorporating two overdrives / tubescreamers)

JAM Pedals Wahcko+ Wah

JAM Pedals Waterfall Chorus/Vibrato

Crazy Tubes Pin Up Fuzz

Crazy Tubes Vyagra Boost with Parametric EQ

** Dweezil also has the JAM Fuzz Phrase, JAM Red Muck, JAM Retrovibe and JAM Rattler+ along with the Crazy Tubes Stardust Blackface and Crazy Tubes Starlight. Based upon our conversations, he'll incorporate some of these pedals into his Experience Hendrix rig. **

Seraphim

Archived