How come all bands

Naterel

• Members
:(
Aw. It was just an observation.

Its cool. This thread has made me realize its time to update. So I went with this:

We came to rock out and wear short shorts... but we're all out of shorts... or at least they are in the wash or something, but the point is we can't find them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My band has been accused of sounding different. I think we sound influenced, but it's from a wide enough array of sources that it comes together organically/in a way that isn't commonplace.

:idk:

I think it would be really interesting for someone to listen to my band and then try to name our "top influences"

• Members

But yeah, I mean, how else are you going to justify getting people to listen to your specific band than to try and claim it's different from the other bands around?

Even if you claimed you were very standard but better than the others that'd be hilighting a difference.

I guess the key to this day in age is to not make any claims? or just name drop like crazy? Or say I opened for Bad Branes at the Lizard Lounge in 88

• Members

ive been watching 'the voice' on tv ({censored} you- ill watch whatever i want, plus my wife wants to watch it) and every single contestant claims to be and is declared 'original' or 'new' as they half assedly sing the same 2 or 3 adele or bruno mars' songs. what does this have to do with anything? who knows, but i hate that show.

• Members

Well anyone who attempts to go on a cookie-cutter talent show is not going to have a shred of originality. If they did they would be recognized for it already on their own. People on those shows are typical lazy americans who want the easy way out and will suck satan's cock and do whatever the industry big wigs tell them to do for their empty dream of fame.

• Members

I don't think my band claim to be anything unique but I'm not really sure how to describe it beyond being instrumental rock.

As a band we all have pretty different tastes and since we all bring different things to the band I wouldn't know where to pinpoint it (overall sound is definitely not music I listen to actively/know much about) so I couldn't name a band we're similar too which is kind of frustrating. Most recent song sounds very much like a Nik Bartsch's Ronin piece.

Back in the day before I joined they were basically a post-rock/post-metal band though. Long story short: Ignorance on my part means I don't really know where my band lies in the genre jungle/where to compare but I doubt we're doing anything unique, I'm just oblivious of anything similar.

Archived