How come all bands

Naterel

• Members

Say they're doing something "different", I mean even the bands that sound like Nickelback say that.

One thing is to take your influences and apply them to your music and its another thing to imitate whilst sayings its something different

What gives?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't even remember what our bull{censored} bio says. Let me go find it.

Hailing from Sacramento, a city dominated by metal and punk rock bands, THE RUIN strives to give loyal music fans something different. A blend of alternative, dance, indie, and straight forward rock comes from The Ruin

• Members

It's mainly cause we're all just wankers.

However, when I write a song that is legitimately really good it does usually end up being pretty hard for me to describe exactly what has influenced it. The less good stuff? Nah it's usually pretty easy to explain.

• Members

But yeah, I mean, how else are you going to justify getting people to listen to your specific band than to try and claim it's different from the other bands around?

Even if you claimed you were very standard but better than the others that'd be hilighting a difference.

• Members

The Six Acre Lake began as a long standing musical collaboration dating back to 1997 between John Schlicter and Jeremy Beaudry. Jeremy's departure from Nat King Tron sparked interest in returning to the instrumental duo format. Jeremy and I entered Peter Richan's Buckeye Studio one more time for a day of improv and composition. When the bourbon was gone and the dust settled, we had completed a fabulous 4 song EP consisting of two improv excurrsions and two composed pieces. The composed pieces reflect the more math-rock tendencies we both have. Our first improv of the session focuses on Jbeau's percussion and bass playing while I process and sample him in real time using my beloved effects boxes and playing tidbits of prepared guitar. The final improv was just BLAZING!!! Jeremy playing drums and toy piano and myself playing electric guitar and effects. Both of us firing on all cylinders for what turned out to be a 25 minute jazz / noise / rock extravaganza. It will be broken down in 3 parts to accomidate the myspace player. Thanks to Peter for once again doing a fantastic job engineering the session and chasing away the electrical Gremlins. Currently Six Acre Lake continues as the main musical outlet for John Schlicter. Adding Joe Getz (Mercury Radio Theater) and Mark Sconyers (Do You Need The Service) into the mix behind the drums. A new batch of material is currently being sorted for an upcoming vinyl release. .

Williamsport's own jam band, Lumpy Gravy, was formed when Owen MacDonald and Brett Kahn, former members of Kind-a-Mind, began jamming with Mike and John Snyder. Doug McMinn, who played with MacDonald in the George Wesley Band, signed on in the spring of 1998, along with percussionist Ken Damilio. Now, two drummers and three bass players later, Gravy has a new lease on life. MacDonald (guitar, vocals) and McMinn (sax, guitar, vocals) are joined by Aaron Sauers on drums and Jimmy Lovcik on bass in the refurbished lineup. Sauers' jazzy, eccentric style and Lovcik's solid but imaginative bass work keep the famous Gravy groove going at peak efficiency. Lovcik has played hundreds of gigs in the last five years with the widely touring Strawberry Jam and Jack's Farm, While Sauers comes to the band from Downside Sounder and many other local acts including early punk band.....Swan Dive. "Mango", the bands 2002 CD release, has been well received and the band has just finished a second CD of original music titiled "GRASShopper". We are getting ready to go back into the studio again to start work on our 3rd CD....Although lately we've been playing around with the idea of doing a live recording instead. We shall see... .... I edited my profile with ..Thomas Myspace Editor V3.6..! .... ...... ...

When Chris Michael (formerly Shapes & Distance, Picture Atlantic) started recording demos for his newest recording project, he knew that he needed to bring in some talented and interesting musicians to help bring out the sound in his head.

Chris met Peter (keys and bass) in late 2010 and it was obvious that there was a unique musical dialogue. After some intense songwriting and demos, they discov...ered and recruited Michael (drums, percussion) after playing with him only once. The band worked tirelessly focusing their energy on unique and interesting songwriting, their trademark tight sound, and trying to revive a stagnant local music scene.

After a humbling tour of the Pacific Northwest and a grueling recording process for their debut Ep, "The Molecules Ep", the band is focused on getting their music out to everyone in the San Francisco bay area and beyond.

Setting up home base at Love at First Slice (formerly Shaker's Pizza) and helping to turn it into a legitimate local venue was a huge turning point for the band. "Ive always been a little bummed about the local scene in the bay area. Awesome venues closing down, a general apathy about local artists, and a generally diluted scene has been sort of depressing," says Chris, "Having a great small venue with great food and great people is really important for local bands. We get to book shows for locals that we love and there is always a great turn out. I love that we get to be a part of that."

Sharing bills with local favorites Speak Friend, Bonnie and the Bang Bang, Stop Motion Poetry, The Trims, Early States, Sunrunners, and The Common Men, Spanish Cannons are well on their way into the ears and hearts of bay area concert goers. They plan to have their new album, yet untitled, out by the first week of February.

heh

• Members

Bio-"Absence of Ocean is Harrison Barr, Erik Larson, and Andrew Ross. They formed back in their high school days. It took a while, but they all realized they liked noise, so they started making some."

About-"We are Absence of Ocean. we like post-rock, shoegaze, and other weird noises"

Could be worse

Archived