fender super champ xd

echodeluxe

• Members

I'm damn impressed.

I've been jamming on the one in our store all day and it sounds really damn good. And its pretty damn loud! If a 15 watt amp can't keep up with a drummer, than you're doing it wrong.

Sounds good with pedals too. And I guess its a solid state preamp with a 12ax7 phase splitter?

The reverb sounds really sweet too

Anyone playing one?

• Members

I've been raving about this amp for a few years now but it seems like very few people have taken notice.

I got mine when they came out and have been in love since.

I definitely recommend you bias it (comes hot from the factory), maybe install a new preamp tube, and hook it up to a 1x12 extension cab.

IMG_0875.jpg

The blackheart cab has a Warehouse V30 clone in it.

• Members

I've been raving about this amp for a few years now but it seems like very few people have taken notice.

I got mine when they came out and have been in love since.

I definitely recommend you bias it (comes hot from the factory), maybe install a new preamp tube, and hook it up to a 1x12 extension cab.

IMG_0875.jpg

The blackheart cab has a Warehouse V30 clone in it.

Nice little setup! Those Warehouse V30 clones are tits!

• Members

No doubt.

I've been using them since they first came out and were like $35 a piece....wish they were still that cheap
:lol:

Ditto. Got 2 in my HRDeville, sound excellent. Might put one into my JCM800 or in a can for my Tweaker one of these days.

• Members

If you have the combo and don't want to bother with an extension cab a lot of people recommend upgrading the stock speaker to a 10" Eminence Ragin Cajun buy I don't have any personal experience.

i've heard good things about those ragin cajuns. might give one a try some day soon. thanks aaron!

• Members

For the most part I just use the clean channel because of how incredibly perfect this amp takes pedals but there are a few good models to be had as well. My favorite is number 7 and the last one which is the acoustic sim. Grab a tele, plug in, and.....:love:

This is one of the few pieces of gear I am certain I'll never sell. It's inexpensive for how good it sounds

I have mixed feelings about this little amp.

First of all, they seem to have done the hybrid thing the "right" way - give me power amp tubes and a solid state front end over a SS power amp and a single starved plate "toob" in the preamp every time please. So there's that in its favor. Most amps sound better to me that way than the other way around. YMMV.

The idea of a modeling preamp running into a tube power amp should mean it's a fairly versatile sounding amp. That's also good.

Size, cosmetics and wattage are all within the range I generally prefer...

...but I've been to two different stores on three different and widely spaced days, and none of them had a working XD in the house. They did have an XD sitting out (in one case, they had two of them), but none of them worked when I went to try them out. Yes, I checked to make sure they were plugged in and had power. All four of them would not power up. That alone makes me gun-shy on the things. :(

Finally, a minor point of annoyance: When Fender re-uses a classic name from the past, I completely understand it from a branding and marketing perspective - it makes perfect sense. However, it makes trying to do Google and Ebay searches for the original models somewhat harder. The Super Champ name is a pretty big one in Fender history - it's one of the most-loved ©BS era designs, and as a multiple II Series amp owner and fan, I kind of wish they had left that name alone. OTOH, not all of the II series amp names are unique - the II Series Concert didn't use the "II" designation in the name, and neither did the Super Champ for that matter. Of course, the current amp is called the Super Champ X2, which muddies the waters even further, since many people will use "2" or "II" in the description of any Rivera-era (1982 - 1986) Fender amp; including (now that Fender's re-used the name) the original Super Champ.

I'd really like to try the XD / X2 sometime because I've heard a lot of you talking favorably about them... but based on the ones I have seen in the stores, I'd want some reassurance over the quality control before I would be willing to rely on one at a gig without a backup amp. Maybe the X2 is improved in that respect... or maybe it's the same basic amp and Fender just added the ability to use the Fender FUSE software ala the Mustang series? I dunno - school me. :idk:

• Members

Clips?
:)

Of the vibratone? Sure, tomorrow.

I've been through mine top to bottom and see no reason for failure but I'm no expert on amps.

Also, I can't confirm this but I believe channel one is all tube. It's channel two where the modeling comes into play.

And because I'm bit of a photowhore this is what I play into mine ;)

tele.jpg

Archived