fender super champ xd

echodeluxe

• Members

I have the Vibro version. Its got some neat sounds on it for a little 5 watt practice amp. I dont like the higher gain ones at all. I usually leave it on a mild break-up setting and use dirt pedals for gain. I put a Weber speaker in it and JJ tubes. I honestly think my Mustang I sounds better for half the money.

• Members

I've loved mine every since I took a chance on buying one without hearing it first. It was a MF Fender Friday and cost $209 shipped with f/s. Later I took another chance and bought one off eBay for $106 in non-working condition. The amp looked like it was tossed around a bit with scrapes on the tolex and a tear in the grill cloth. The fix was free as the one socketed chip on the circuit board just needed reseating. A push of the finger was all it took.

The SCXD really shines with an ext cab. The FX are limited with a single wet/dry mix. But the preset combinations are good enough to cover most needs.

Both channels go through the digital section as the FX and EQ are there and used on both. And I agree that digital FGX into tube power amp is the right way to do it. That's basically how everyone with a tube amp and multifx box is wired. IMO tubes in a digital preamp are a marketing ploy as the same results could be accomplished with straight digital.

• Members

I also bought an SCXD when they first came out and have been using it ever since. I love this amp for its sound, features, and portability. I'm probably one of the only people who swapped the speaker and didn't go with a Rajun Cajun. Instead I installed a Jensen Neo which made a nice improvement tonewise and didn't add a lot of weight. While I also own amps by Mesa Boogie and Marshall, this has been my grab and go amp since I got it and I've done plenty of gigs with it. I tend to use Voice 1 the most and also Voice 15, which has a nice jazzy tone. I've occasionally used some of the overdrive or distortion voices, but I generally get that from pedals. The amp sounds great on its own, but even better with my Mesa Boogie V-Twin preamp adding some tube mojo on the front end.

That Super Champ Masterboard in the video above looks really cool.

Aria.jpg

• Members

Great amp! I kinda regret getting rid of mine (was clearing out gear). I'm very tempted now that they have a head version.... :thu:

The Ragin' Cajun' was okay - it certainly added more headroom, but I found neither 110 speaker could not keep up with a hard hitting drummer & bassist on it's own (mic'd worked just fine, though).

In any case, glad to see Fender added a USB. They've made a few nice CR moves recently, IMHO!

Archived