Tried a BD-2 today, liked it a good bit.

OMTerria

• Members

The stock BD-2 is a fantastic pedal. I have quite a boutique-y selection of ODs, and yet the BD-2 and DOD 250 are two production pedals that always seem to work for me. One or the other is always on my board. With the BD-2, I usually have to run the tone pot in the off position so as not to get the ice-pick effect - but it works great. I've always been curious about doing the Monte Allums mod - but can't really bring myself to alter what I already like about the pedal.

• Members

Yes, I use one every once and awhile. Mines stock. What I like about it is you can get a kinda thrashy OD with lower gains, or crank it for more saturated sounds. I have the tone knob almost all the way down. If you could only own one OD pedal, the BD 2 would definitely have to be in consideration.

• Members

I had a JHS modded one a couple years ago. I only used it as a clean boost but it sounded great. Certainly wouldn't complain about having it as my od. And that's coming from a guy with a klone and a king of tone.

Actually the bd2 and the sd1 modded or not would make a kill setup.....I'm making myself want a boss board.

• Members

Actually the bd2 and the sd1 modded or not would make a kill setup.....I'm making myself want a boss board.

Hahaha, I feel you. All this talk is making me just want to dump a few hundred on some cheapy Boss pedals and go to town.

• Members

I like my keeley bd-2 a lot. Almost gets fuzzy with the drive all the way up. Not sure why everyone has their 'tone' rolled down so much.

I'd say it has a slight mid-hump but it's not as pronounced as other OD's.

I think most of the mods address the ice pickiness....the stock one is insanely bright. I run mine with tone nearly off.

• Members

Whenever I play that pedal in a store, it's got this compression quality when you hit the strings real hard that reminds me of SRV. To me, it sounds like every SRV fan's dream tone.

sometimes when i'm at home on a rainy day, i get nostalgic for those sounds of "pride and joy" as they careen around the walls of guitar center.

• Members

I think most of the mods address the ice pickiness....the stock one is insanely bright. I run mine with tone nearly off.

Yeah, that's what I figured. There was a brief time I had both a stock and Keeley and remembered a lot of the ice-pick qualities were removed with the Keeley but it was never so bad with the stock that I had the tone completely rolled off. But whatever, still a good pedal.

I have an sd-1 too but wish it had more gain on tap.

Archived