OT: New Car Time!

• Members

Chargers are killer cars, I rented one before and its like driving a claw foot bathtub. You're just sunk into that interior, feels great.

The Mazda 3 would be the smarter option I guess, but if its in the cards go Charger. :thu:

• Members

3. Dodge Challenger - even less fuel-efficient, but considerably more badass.
;)

This guy knows whats up.

But seriously, I don't really like either of those two cars, but if I had to pick one, I would go with the Mazda at this juncture. And you can say that the money isn't an issue, but EVERYTHING on that Charger is going to cost more money, and it adds up quickly.

• Members

I voted Mazda, one of the better smaller cars out there today. Would be more fun to drive. Unless you're talking the Hemi V8. I would however, look at the '12 Mustang V6 too, pretty solid car, 300hp, and really pretty good gas mileage too. Take the base model, and you can be under $25k.

• Members

please ignore this suggestion. pontiac went under for a reason. my wife drives one and its an ugly POS money pit. their entire line seems like it was engineered by a hungover illiterate highschool dropout.

Awww, c'mon man. I've always driven Pontiacs, you just have to get the right one (I'm guessing you have a Grand Am with a 3.4 in it? those things sucked). And actually, the Vibe isn't a Pontiac, its a Toyota Corolla with a hatch and Pontiac emblems on it.

• Members

First a lil backstory..... I work in the automotive industry, i see atleast 200 cars a week and they're from every different manufacturer (minuses anything over $100k in value) and I have pretty good knowledge of what models have huge problems from the get go and which ones require minimal work to keep on the road.

That being said, get the Charger.

As much as I love Mazda's their hay day has come and gone. The newer 2.3 motors are junk, I've seen 3 motors replaced in the last 6 months each with less then 100k miles, including one that had to be replaced twice because the factory short block sent to replace the blown one in the car was defective. The upside they do have is the gas mileage and decent handling, but I have to disagree with the previous comment of reliability. Plus their parts are not as easily acccessible in the aftermarket and usually have to be sourced from the dealer, causing an increase in cost of maintanence.

While I'm not a fan of dodge's they unlike mazda have improved the reliability and design of their cars. The newer charger's while not being the best on gas mileage are extremely reliable, with good power, and I feel decent handling. Especially for a 4 door semi-luxury sedan. Also their parts are alot easier t come by and usually quite a bit cheaper then the imported mazda parts. Another big plus for me is the interior, cause I'm a big guy (6'4" 220lbs) and like the leg room.

In all honesty though if your going to be buying new, or recent model year, check out Kia's and Hyundai's (the genesis sedan is a killer car!!!). The koreans approach car's like guitars, they take a good design, copy it, find a cheaper way to improve upon it, sell it for less, and back it up with a 10 year 100k mile warranty. While their part's like the mazda are a bit steeper then the dodge's, they don't require anywhere near as much maintainence. The most common thing i see being put on them, is brakes, which any and every car needs at some point, like strings for your guitar.

just my .02

• Members

please ignore this suggestion. pontiac went under for a reason. my wife drives one and its an ugly POS money pit. their entire line seems like it was engineered by a hungover illiterate highschool dropout.

well, the pontiac vibe is basically a toyota. my wife has driven a vibe for about 7-8 years. It's been super reliable. On the other hand, I bought a Honda Civic around the same time, mainly because everyone told me it was reliable and would last forever. That car was a total money pit. I was spending like a thousand dollars a year on repairs for it, before I just gave up on it and bought something else. Used to have a Mazda (before it got totaled, long story), it was very nice.

• Members

First a lil backstory..... I work in the automotive industry, i see atleast 200 cars a week and they're from every different manufacturer (minuses anything over $100k in value) and I have pretty good knowledge of what models have huge problems from the get go and which ones require minimal work to keep on the road.

That being said, get the Charger.

As much as I love Mazda's their hay day has come and gone. The newer 2.3 motors are junk, I've seen 3 motors replaced in the last 6 months each with less then 100k miles, including one that had to be replaced twice because the factory short block sent to replace the blown one in the car was defective. The upside they do have is the gas mileage and decent handling, but I have to disagree with the previous comment of reliability. Plus their parts are not as easily acccessible in the aftermarket and usually have to be sourced from the dealer, causing an increase in cost of maintanence.

While I'm not a fan of dodge's they unlike mazda have improved the reliability and design of their cars. The newer charger's while not being the best on gas mileage are extremely reliable, with good power, and I feel decent handling. Especially for a 4 door semi-luxury sedan. Also their parts are alot easier t come by and usually quite a bit cheaper then the imported mazda parts. Another big plus for me is the interior, cause I'm a big guy (6'4" 220lbs) and like the leg room.

In all honesty though if your going to be buying new, or recent model year, check out Kia's and Hyundai's (the genesis sedan is a killer car!!!). The koreans approach car's like guitars, they take a good design, copy it, find a cheaper way to improve upon it, sell it for less, and back it up with a 10 year 100k mile warranty. While their part's like the mazda are a bit steeper then the dodge's, they don't require anywhere near as much maintainence. The most common thing i see being put on them, is brakes, which any and every car needs at some point, like strings for your guitar.

just my .02

This man. He knows what he is talking about. Hyundai/Kia have really stepped their game up. They are hard to beat if you are buying new.

OP - out of those choices I would go with the Charger, but only with a v8. Chrysler took a lot from their brief partnership with Mercedes and the quality of their vehicles went way up (especially interior). Other points to consider is that the Charger would have the cylinder shut off once it is at a consistent speed (i.e. highway driving) and is essentially a four cylinder at that point.

Not that there is anything wrong with the Mazda, but from what I know about cars, the Charger is the better car.

Of course, if you want a 'quick' car that handles well, the Charger is definitely not for you. But if you want anything else other than that, the Charger is probably the better choice.

Archived