Which Rat?

The Lou-Dog

• Members

I'm sure the Blakemore is awesome, but I will add that I got one of the newer Chinese Rats off of ebay about a year ago, tricked out with all the Keeley style mods, and it {censored}ing rules. I love the clipping lifted mode-- less gain, but sounds huge. It was about 100 bucks and is very sweet.

• Members

I've not tried many, but I did really enjoy the Hartman LM308. I sold it when I got my latest big box rat because I wanted something a little more aggressive sounding, but now I've ruetz modded it I'd probably get a Hartman again for higher gain stuff.

• Members

I like one led and one silicon, myself.

I added a DIP switch internally to mix-and-match between silicon, LED, germanium, and MOSFET clipping. It's been set on germanium for a long time now because I ended up liking that sound the most. That plus Reutz mod essentially makes it a MXR Distortion+. The ability to switch between stock Rat and mods is pretty awesome.

I've also got a Keeley. I got to look what he did witch the caps because that Rat has a lot more bottom end than any other's I've built or owned.

To the OP if I had to get any Rat I would get the white face reissue.

• Members
What's the best Rat out there at the moment?

Something that does all the classic Rat shtick, maybe even with a few added options, for a affordable (sub 200 preferably around 150) price.

:wave:

Original '83 big box rat with the Ruetz clip mod. Swore by that pedal for years. Wish I still owned it

• Members

Whiteface Reissue is so bad ass. Makes my Twin sound like 100 tanks rolling through the streets and cleans up well too. Has a stupid amount of gain (I usually have the distortion around 10 o'clock and it's still a ton of gain).

Yeah I played one of these in a guitar store with an Epi 339 into some kind of tweed hot rod deluxe. Sounded pretty sweet.

The Epi 339 was nice as well.

• Members

lm308white-700x700.jpg

This is pretty fantastic, I have an 88' small box rat and I'm more than happy to have the hartman on my board and the original safe at home.

You run a deluxe though right? I hate to say it, but the rat deluxe combination was pretty disappointing imo. You should just get an ac30 ;)

Archived