Who Makes A B A+B Pedal/Switchbox?

Player99

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they were mostly selling them through an ebay store they had. They had their own website, bit if i remember correctly it would just direct you to the ebay store when purchasing.

Yea, that seemed to be how it went for me too... I got it a few years back from their Ebay store... I don't think they are an American company

• Members

no, i know. i've never understood what makes a Lehle A/B box that special of a spicebox.

FWIW, if I had the extra cash when I was looking for an AB/Y I would have went with one of these. Haven't heard anything bad about them at all.

• Members

very easy DIY

RG Keen's cool geofex designs

splitter.gif
spltr2.gif
oaspltr.gif

Fancier 20-20kHz designs

Jensen 2 way passive splitter

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as013.pdf

Jensen 4-way active splitter with treble adjust

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as014.pdf

both can be made at http://www.edcorusa.com/p/135/pcw10k-10k $9.36) and an OP amp that costs less than $35!

Thanks! I wish I knew more about electronics.

Everyone's talking splitters, when it sounds to me like what you want / need is summing. :idk:

If you want to split and route it to two amps, a Morley or similar is NOT for you. It's just a passive ABY box with no transformer isolation or ground lift switches. As an input source selector, or signal router, it will work fine. I use mine to route the signal to my main signal path and / or to my tuner, and it works fine for that. It will also work just fine as an input selector - allowing you to leave two instruments connected and quickly switch between them at the press of a button... but if you want to feed two inputs into your pedalboard and use both simultaneously, you really need something active that will sum (mix) the two signals. You can do passive (resistance) mixing with a simple 4K7 resistor in series on the hot wire of each input, but that kind of passive mixing can lead to level mismatches and signal losses (not to mention issues with fuzz pedals and wahs), and there's no way to adjust the relative levels of the two signals... IMHO, you're better off with a small active mixer of some sort if you need to run two signals into a pedalboard simultaneously. If all you want / need is an input source selector, then the Morley will probably serve your needs just fine... but for a few bucks more, the Radial might be the better long-term investment. You never know - you might want to run two amps simultaneously someday, and the Radial is designed to do that - it has an onboard isolation transformer to deal with ground loop issues and the Morely doesn't. Then again, the Morley is $55, and the Radial's $80, so if cost is a consideration, the Morley's $25 less expensive.

• Members

So to summarize:

Morley, Live Wire are lower end, may cause some tone loss and or noise

Horizon ABY

Tonebone Bigfoot ABY with tuner out, ground lift, phase inversion, no led's

Loooper makes some different models,different features for $55 to $75

Whirlwind has LED'S

Wobo ABY but company DOA

Lehle is $215... pricey for some

Am I forgetting anyone?

The Morley / Live Wire ABY switches are passive - they don't really "add noise", but you may notice some bleed between the two signal paths. The Morley has LED indicators (battery powered), but will function fine without the battery installed - you just won't have the LED indicators.

• Members

I've been meaning to look into this so I might as well ask here: I want to run stereo, two different pedal boards, so I'm going to be picking up an a/b/y at some point but I can't remember if you have it set to Y, can you toggle from A to B without switching out of Y, so when you disengage Y its on whichever you chose between A & B?

I've been meaning to look into this so I might as well ask here: I want to run stereo, two different pedal boards, so I'm going to be picking up an a/b/y at some point but I can't remember if you have it set to Y, can you toggle from A to B without switching out of Y, so when you disengage Y its on whichever you chose between A & B?

Yes, you can do that. If you have it set to B, and then hit the second switch (for both A and B - IOW, "Y"), when you take it out of Y mode, B will still be selected. If you hit the A/B switch while in Y mode, and then take it out of Y, A will be selected. At least that's how it works with the Morley, and I suspect that's how it works with the Radial Bigshot too.

• Members

Thanks Phil. I am running a guitar with a Roland GR55 Synth pedal. The Gr55 has an output for a modeled guitar. So I want to be able to switch between my regular guitar; the modeled guitar; as well combine the two. I think the small mixer won't work for live switching but it would be nice to have a blend knob when I want to run them together.

Yes that looks like the one. Too bad it is $250.

Yeah, I know, but for guys like me, it's worth twice that - it's one of the best problem solvers on the market. It's incredibly useful & flexible. You can patch practically anything into anything else with it... the creative patching opportunities that it opens up to you are pretty cool. :)

Archived