fender amp for pedals

greg182

• Members

just looking for a nice clean amp that can handle all my muff pedals (my ac 15 seems to hate them). looking for a smaller combo with a budget of about 600-700 max. i have been thinking about the blues jr. what are your guys thoughts about these amps? any other suggestions? if i wanted to go a little more expensive and get a custom clark or lil dawg amp would it be worth it and which model should i look for?

• Members

For me, muffs like output sections that are clean and have relatively less sag...or at least, that's how you'll get the best sound reproduction of the muff. imo, I'd stay away from the heavily 'tweed-voiced' fenders (Blues Jr, Deluxe) and look for a good clean.

But, with the Vox, what are you getting that is not pleasant to the ear?....it's possible there's something in the input impedence or pre-amp that just isn't agreeing with the muffs.

• Members

For me, muffs like output sections that are clean and have relatively less sag...or at least, that's how you'll get the best sound reproduction of the muff. imo, I'd stay away from the heavily 'tweed-voiced' fenders (Blues Jr, Deluxe) and look for a good clean.

But, with the Vox, what are you getting that is not pleasant to the ear?....it's possible there's something in the input impedence or pre-amp that just isn't agreeing with the muffs.

"look for a good clean......"?

as for the vox, it sounds like a vacuum with a muff, just really loud unfocused crap. i've tried a pharaoh, hoof, and an nyc. none of them seem to sound good through it.

• Members

Do the bright cap mod for you ac15, same {censored} used to happen to me. It's so easy. Just take panel off and clip c4....I think it's c4. Google is yah best friend bro

do you have the ac15 c1?

• Members

The way I always saw it was...

Vox = MIDSMIDSMIDSMIDSMIDSMIDSMIDSMIDSMIDSMIDS

Muff = SCOOPASCOOPASCOOPASCOOPASCOOPASCOOPA

That's how I figured it anyway.

Get a Rat.

i have a rat. would just like to be able to use the muffs. doesn't have to be with the ac15 as i've demonstrated with the whole "which fender should i get?" post.

thanks

• Members

i have a rat. would just like to be able to use the muffs. doesn't have to be with the ac15 as i've demonstrated with the whole "which fender should i get?" post.

thanks

Sorry, this thread has lost focus.

Lefort's post was pretty solid, you want a lot of clean headroom with a muff. Tweed-voiced fenders are better for goosin' like he said. Mmmm how'd you feel about a Fender Frontman?

• Members

Sorry, this thread has lost focus.

Lefort's post was pretty solid, you want a lot of clean headroom with a muff. Tweed-voiced fenders are better for goosin' like he said. Mmmm how'd you feel about a Fender Frontman?

sounds good thanks for your help.

• Members

No, I don't believe so. You just have to look around. They're old and no longer made but far from unobtainable.

Depends there's the 60s mojo brown ones like this:

And the 80s Rivera era ones (which are apparently TOTES DIFFERENT BRAH) like the one in the ebay link I posted up earlier.

• Members

are you looking for something for home? something to gig with?

Any of the fenders with lots of head room would be good,

Princeton Reverb II one of the 80's Rivera amp, will do both great. Right in your price range as well.

You will be able to find them on ebay, if you can stand ebay.

Even the new Princeton Reverb reissue would probably be really good, Depending on your volume needs.

are you looking for something for home? something to gig with?

Any of the fenders with lots of head room would be good,

Princeton Reverb II one of the 80's Rivera amp, will do both great. Right in your price range as well.

You will be able to find them on ebay, if you can stand ebay.

Even the new Princeton Reverb reissue would probably be really good, Depending on your volume needs.

Yeah, again - I agree. A Princeton is my #1 amp. Live, it's the PRII. I run an AC15cc1 with a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo in it along with it for stereo, and the two work very well together in stereo. In the studio, it's the '71 Princeton Amp more often than not. Princetons are fantastic pedal platforms for home practice, recording and even small gigs... but the "right" amp is really going to depend on your situation and volume requirements.

Archived