SMMH looper blues

• Members

I like the SMMH a lot, but I've recently been dissatisfied with a few things about the pedal and have been thinking about getting standalone looper and another delay to replace it with. I've gotten pretty good at timing the switch, but I feel like not having to hold the switch down would make things a lot easier. Using the delays while looping is something that I like, but having the looping parameters be the same as those for the delay is really inconvenient.

I don't know much about loopers, but I'm not looking for anything super complex. The RC-20XL seems like a pretty good option. Anyone here use one? Should I be looking at something else for around 150?

• Members

I've gotten pretty good at timing the switch, but I feel like not having to hold the switch down would make things a lot easier.

IIRC there's a mod which changes the switch around so when you press the record switch it starts recording and only stops when you switch it again, so you don't have to hold it down.

I really like the filter, reverse and tempo change on the Hazarai's looper but do find holding down the switch to record a little annoying too :

• Members

I have a SMMH and a Digitech Jamman Solo. I bought the Jamman because I didn't like the looper on the SMMH and I have zero regrets. It can save up to 99 loops and you can hook it up to the computer for uploading samples and beats. Check it out if you want a simple looper. The boss RC-3 looks similar to the Jamman, so take a look at that too.

• Members

I already have a headrush, a dl4, and an m9. But I wanted another interesting looper. I wanted a hazarai for a while, but I didn't like the "hold to record" function. If that could be changed... a used hazarai would be a really nice investment for me.

• Members

I like the SMMH a lot, but I've recently been dissatisfied with a few things about the pedal and have been thinking about getting standalone looper and another delay to replace it with. I've gotten pretty good at timing the switch, but I feel like not having to hold the switch down would make things a lot easier. Using the delays while looping is something that I like, but having the looping parameters be the same as those for the delay is really inconvenient.

I don't know much about loopers, but I'm not looking for anything super complex. The RC-20XL seems like a pretty good option. Anyone here use one? Should I be looking at something else for around 150?

I hear the RC20XL is pretty solid and it can be found for relatively cheap -- in your price range anyhow.

• Members

You tell me right now what that damn mod is!

This! That would make me fall in love with mine all over again as my main complaint is that stupid looper. Now go find that mod and share it!

• Members

I had the 20xl it was good. lots of features not on the smmh. I am partial to smmh. my thought is this, I'm not live looping, I dont need a robust looper, if I was going to write a complete song, I'd opt for a DAW. the smmh is perfect for, off the top of the head experiements. I also sit and loop, so I can wah and volume swell.

I mean I would love an undo function.

• Members

I recently modified my SMMwH so that I can use an external latching footswitch to control the looper function. It's just a case of adding a 1/4" jack (you'll need to drill the enclosure to do this) and then wiring up the jack to the tap/record footswitch.

That way, when the latching footswitch is plugged in, pressing it once will replicate you holding down the tap/record button and pressing it again your foot lifting off. When the latching footswitch isn't plugged in or engaged, the tap/record button works as normal

It makes the SMMwH a lot more user friendly for looping IMO.

• Members

I recently modified my SMMwH so that I can use an external latching footswitch to control the looper function. It's just a case of adding a 1/4" jack (you'll need to drill the enclosure to do this) and then wiring up the jack to the tap/record footswitch.

That way, when the latching footswitch is plugged in, pressing it once will replicate you holding down the tap/record button and pressing it again your foot lifting off. When the latching footswitch isn't plugged in or engaged, the tap/record button works as normal

It makes the SMMwH a lot more user friendly for looping IMO.

links?

• Members

I love the SMMH, but yeah the looping is very rudimentary.

If the SMMH is a sundae, the delay is the ice cream, the cool filter/various modes are the syrup, and the looping is the cherry. Sounds like you want a cherry pie.

Grab yourself a Jam Man or something and hang onto the SMMH, there are some crazy and awesome sounds in that thing, then you can have cherry pie a la mode.

• Members

The following thread on the 12k Forum (
) has various different footswitch mods for the SMMwH - they are mainly just in picture form, so if you get stuck feel free to ask and i'll try to help...

Thanks man! I'll save that page and refer back to it. I never thought about the softswitches mentioned in that thread. Cool idea. What kind of latching switch are you using? The Maplin one you linked to? Is that just a NC type switch like I've used to make tap tempo switches? If so, it'll be easy enough to make a Tiny Tap switch to trigger the loop.

• Members

Thanks man! I'll save that page and refer back to it. I never thought about the softswitches mentioned in that thread. Cool idea. What kind of latching switch are you using? The Maplin one you linked to? Is that just a NC type switch like I've used to make tap tempo switches? If so, it'll be easy enough to make a Tiny Tap switch to trigger the loop.

I use a Bespeco (a cheap copy of the Boss FS-5L) for my latch switch. The switch has an on/off LED so there's the bonus of knowing when the looper is in overdub mode. When I carried out the mod I also swapped out the tap/record for a softswitch as it made wiring everything in a lot easier.

Here's a crappy phone pic of the finished article;

smmwh.jpg

• Members

The mod doesn't solve the delay/loop level and filter problem though, which is the bigger one IMO. I wish I could sell or trade the SMMH now but I need both a delay and a looper in its place and I don't think I could find an acceptable pair for what the SMMH goes for.

• Members

I use a Bespeco (a cheap copy of the Boss FS-5L) for my latch switch. The switch has an on/off LED so there's the bonus of knowing when the looper is in overdub mode. When I carried out the mod I also swapped out the tap/record for a softswitch as it made wiring everything in a lot easier.

Here's a crappy phone pic of the finished article;

smmwh.jpg

Cool, thanks. Do you have a gut shot of your wiring? That'd be the bees knees.

Archived