What do ya'll think of those EH tube pedals?

• Members

Used to have a Tube Zipper. It was rather exciting/outrageous, but something always seemed to annoy me about it. I think it was the complexity of finding the sound you want, too fiddley. The best thing about it though was its muff and distortion. Also its wild oscillations.

• Members

i recently got rid of the wiggler. Just way way too noisy. Ridiculous in fact. It sounded cool, vibe wasn't as thick as it could have been so in the end i got an mjm 60s vibe.

Tube Zipper is off my board at the moment, haven't found much use recently.

• Members

The noise issues you guys mention is not a universal problem. Of the 20 or so EHX Tube pedals I've used, I've had noise issues with 2 units.

One was a TubEQ. I sent it to EHX for repair, then sold it. I eventually bought another one a couple of years later and still have that one. No noise.

Another one is my first Blackfinger unit. After much poking about, I eventually found the origin of the humming noise. The wire that leads away from the power supply jack must be positioned correctly in the chassis, otherwise it interefers with other components on the board. When tucked away properly, the hum disappears.

All the other pedals sound great with no issues.

A lot of guys complain that the 12AY7 Mic Pre is too noisy. That's just a matter of reading the manual. It states specifically that a balanced cable must be used at the output. Also, the next device in the signal path must also have balanced inputs.

• Members

The other guitarist in our band uses an english muff'n, and it does indeed get radical. The special power supply is kind of a pain though, especially when all his other pedals can be easily powered via a 1spot, and we're struggling for power outlets at some shows.

Archived