Gibson 70s tribute guitars

bmoncbus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well yes and no - I've owned Norlin-era stuff that has sucked balls and I've owned Norlin-era stuff that was fricking awesome. Crap shoot just like any other era. There are snobs that will condemn the whole period and that's fine by me - keeps the prices down.

I bought my '78 Deluxe for way less than a new reissue would have cost me and it's a fabulous guitar with high quality woods used throughout. Weighs less than newer versions too - so that shoots that myth down as well.

i hear what you're sayin'. There's definitely great guitars from the norlin era, as there are in the current line. I think all their custom shop guitars through that period remained top notch, as well as alot of the higher end stuff. There's even plenty of great production guitars from that period that are awesome. And i actually love the t-top pickups. But my point was that the general quality of their production guitars definitely took a dive during that time. And they had some really bad ideas then- pancake body les pauls and whatnot. It just seemed like a funny period to celebrate to me. They drove themselves into the ground. Consumers were fed up and over it and the company was on the verge of bankruptcy before it changed hands to henry j and the current owners. Seems funny to make 70's tributes. I'm sure some of the tribute guitars will be awesome, as some of the guitars from that era were, but in general, it was a dark time for gibson.

I'm not so into this maple neck thing either.

Archived