Robin Gibb is dead.

Kimme

• Members

Bee Gee tunes are like finely crafted watches.

Yes.

I was 7 in 1977. That was a huge year for me, even though I was just a little kid. I have a ton of memories from that period... Star Wars, Close Encounters, KISS,... and The Bee Gees were definitely a part of that. Those SNF songs were so smooth, rich, modern, and full of glamorous energy. We don't hear them that way now as much because they are so completely integrated in our culture. Debts are owed to The Bee Gees in the work of Michael Jackson and everyone he ever influenced. You even hear their influence as recently as MGMT's "Electric Feel".

Anyways, i love a lot of Disco... Bowie "Fame", ABBA "Dancing Queen", Brick "Dazz", Donna Summer "I Feel Love", Blondie "Heart of Glass", Thelma Houston "Don't Leave Me This Way", Heatwave "Boogie Nights", etc.

Unfortunately, Disco became a joke largely due to crappy novelty songwriting from acts like The Village People. Also, a lot of teenage white guys who still thought Led Zeppelin's "Presence" or Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" was actually good songwriting were annoyed that the promised land of guitar rock was threatened. But IMO, the line "I'm going nowhere. Somebody help me" had more balls than most of hard rock was offering that year.

• Members

^^^^Well said Fender&EHX4ever

Not only did the brothers Gibb harmonize beautifully but know one could sing in such close unison as them. It's sad that now Barry stands alone. Like many here I liked their pre-disco stuff better, but their disco material was very high quality pop music. One time I sat down and learned "How Deep Is Your Love", and it was like the Rosetta Stone of R&B for me, because of the chords I learned in that tunes I was able to pick up gigs that I could do before.

I was and still am a big Bee Gees fan with know apologies. RIP Robin Gibb.

I3w1LaLVq8Q&feature=related

• Members

I've always liked disco, and I love hard rock. I guess being a product of the late 80's has never given me the disposition to hate on it. Bee Gees were a huge influence and had some truly great songs.

RIP Robin Gibb.

"Led Zeppelin didn't write songs that everybody liked, they left that to the Bee Gees"
-Wayne Campbell.

• Members

The Bee Gees didn't create the hype. They were busy writing an album when Stigwood came up and said, "We need these songs for a movie." Fans created the hype. Listen to Children of the World or Main Course to see what they were doing at the time. The unfortunate release of Spirits Having Flown was really their only real attempt to recapture the hype of Saturday Night Fever. Even then, let's not forget that there were a lot of other songs on that double album the Bee Gees had nothing to do with.

Robin's natural vibrato was what made his voice special. "I Started a Joke", "Massachusetts", and "I've Got to Get a Message to You" wouldn't have been the same without it. Be with God, Robin. I will miss you.

Archived