Gibson SG neck question

ArrMatey

• Members

I have found a deal on a gibson sg special (1965!) but asked the person to send me photos and they got back to me with these two.

They said that they had the guitar for 16 years and never had any repairs done to it but it seems to me there was something that happened to this neck.

Any experts/luthiers care to chime in? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself in and see if it's worth the hassle!

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

• Members

That looks like it could have had a break at one point, but it looks like it was a good repair.

Agree. This is pretty common with SG's. I'm guessing it won't affect the playing/tone if done right--but it will affect the value. What's he asking?

• Members

Also--not sure what an SG classic is (if it's vintage)--maybe its a Standard? The only classics I know of are reissues.

If it is vintage--that's a steal price, even with the neck repair (assuming everything is more or less orig).

• Members

From the tuners it looks to be a special (dual p90). They didn't make a sg "classic" in the 60's. Gibson USA makes the classic which is a modern version of a special. The custom shop makes a more vintage correct special.

As far as the neck issues I have no say. But it could be a starting point to reducing the cost of the guitar if you intend to buy it.

Any price in the 1*** range is a great price IMO

• Members

From the tuners it looks to be a special (dual p90). They didn't make a sg "classic" in the 60's. Gibson USA makes the classic which is a modern version of a special. The custom shop makes a more vintage correct special.

As far as the neck issues I have no say. But it could be a starting point to reducing the cost of the guitar if you intend to buy it.

Any price in the 1*** range is a great price IMO

Yeah sorry it is a SG Special. Not classic! My bad!

• Members

So, assuming everything is orig (you need to ask him)--since he was unaware of the neck repair, i think it's totally prime to try to talk him down.

the repair is going to take away a lot of value in the future, so i wouldn't buy this as an "investment" per se. it's kind of like when you see refins, it kills their value and they don't necessarily appreciate the same way that orig vintage guitars do. but for that price i think that's still a great deal. you get to play it first right? just to make sure it plays/sounds decent.

• Members

as far as the neck repair, from a player standpoint it shouldn't be an issue IMO

Thanks for your input Robo, I know it's a lot of money.

If I was to get this one my 88 les paul would have to go which would be a shame but I already have a 335 so I feel like the humbucker territory is already covered which that guy.

• Members

Thanks for your input Robo, I know it's a lot of money.

If I was to get this one my 88 les paul would have to go which would be a shame but I already have a 335 so I feel like the humbucker territory is already covered which that guy.

yeah - I guess, but a 335 and a LP are quite a bit apart too tho - you need all three :lol:

• Members

yeah - I guess, but a 335 and a LP are quite a bit apart too tho - you need all three
:lol:

One day, I might pick up one day a yamaha SG2000. They are LP killers in my eyes! That or a japanese copy and drop some good pickups in it. No one will notice the difference, not even me :lol:

That's a really nice looking mid-60s SG Special.

Yes, the neck definitely looks like it's been repaired at the headstock - fairly common, but definitely a mark against the guitar's value. It's a valid point to use in price negotiations, and makes the guitar a lot less interesting to collectors, but as long as it was well done (and from appearances in the pics, it looks like it was very well done) the repair shouldn't affect its playability.

Archived