El Capistan, Brigadier & Lex updated

natepink

• Members

Just saw this over the place that shall not be named. Strymon have updated the El Capistan, Brigadier and Lex with an internal jumper allowing for selectable TRS stereo input and swapped on some soft switches.

I ordered an El Cap from Thomann at the beginning of the week so hoping I have one of the updated pedals...

Here's what Strymon says:

What is the difference between El Capistan and El Capistan mono input?

Based on customer feedback, in May 2012 we introduced an updated El Capistan design that includes an internal jumper allowing for selectable TRS stereo input, as well as non-click footswitches. El Capistan mono input (now discontinued) was manufactured before May 2012 and includes a mono input.

El Capistan has:

- Serial number higher than S12-50000

- Non-click footswitches

- Internal jumper allowing for selectable TRS stereo input (more info here)

El Capistan mono input (discontinued) has:

- Serial number lower than S12-50000

- Footswitches with an audible click when pressed

- No internal jumper

More here

• Members

I hear the jumper adds a digital sheen to everything, makes highs rather shrill, and in general, is just not as warm and organic as the original versions

Jumpers have been known to cause digital sheen for ages. Consequently I have a mod I'm working on for the el cap to rewire the jumper area with vintage wire. This not only counteracts the the sheen but makes the signal more organic overall while adding clarity to the upper midrange.

• Members

A long time ago I owned a Bluesky, and it had the hard switches. I wound up selling a few months later, and I recently picked up another that came with the soft switches. I didn't know that it they had been updating their products, so at first I thought my {censored} was broken before I plugged it in. Soft switches are cool I guess, but it never really bothered me either way. I can only imagine the flood of emails Strymon got from entitled guitar players about the hard switches though. I thought I remember them saying that they couldn't put soft switches into some of their pedals because the circuits weren't built around that certain relay or whatever. It's cool that put that much effort into updating/upgrading their products, but I feel like some butthurt is just around the corner from v1 users that can't upgrade period or do it on Strymon's dime.

• Members

Kinda stupid they didn't fix the issue that was bothering most everyone - repeats cut out altogether when you're tapping in a new tempo. :poke:

I mentioned it to them on more than one occasion, and I know a lot of other people have too. They just told me "that's what most of our customer feedback said they wanted - repeats cuttin out while tapping in a tempo"... :freak:

• Members

Kinda stupid they didn't fix the issue that was bothering most everyone - repeats cut out altogether when you're tapping in a new tempo. :poke:

I mentioned it to them on more than one occasion, and I know a lot of other people have too. They just told me "that's what most of our customer feedback said they wanted - repeats cuttin out while tapping in a tempo"...
:freak:

Might have been too hard to write the algorithm for it, should at least make it an option.

• Members

And so it begins...

GRRRRRRRR!!!! just bought a El Cap here in Korea for a TON of scratch. Love the pedal Hate the mono input and hard noisy switches. Infuriating. I would have waited for sure. I was already wildly overpaying for the thing to begin with. arrrrgg.

Archived