Which dirt pedal for me?

duncan

• Members

I have an AC30C2 coming to me today or tomorrow. I'm going to need a dirt pedal for it (probably more for boosting, and a bit of shaping)

I've narrowed it down to one (or a combination) of the following:

Deucetone Rat

Maxon OD808

Bad Monkey

RC Booster

OCD

I'm looking for something that can get thick and dirty. I also have a Bogner Ecstasy, if that helps give you an idea of the dirt I like. I'm leaning towards the Deucetone because it has two separate functions for two different levels of dirt/sounds.

• Members

my extremely limited experience with vox amps has been that they respond terribly to dirt pedals. you may have made a mistake.

They're just picky and they won't let you use a dirt pedal to change the fundamental tone coming out the amp. It'll always have flabby bass, loads of mids and what some call "blizzard of nails" treble. You have to chose a pedal that works with what you're getting out the amp. Basically, you can't use a pedal to make the amp something it's not.

Duncan, it just depends what tones you like as to what overdrive. I love Rats with my ac30 (any reason you specifically want the deucetone?) and for about 18 months I enjoyed my ocd with it though the result is more mid scooped than the rat. Tubescreamer type pedals and AC30s aren't a terrible combo but I prefer them purely for adding a little grit/ compression to light overdrive as when I try to use them for actual distortion/rhythm tones the result is a bit middy and boxy for my tastes.

• Members

They're just picky and they won't let you use a dirt pedal to change the fundamental tone coming out the amp. It'll always have flabby bass, loads of mids and what some call "blizzard of nails" treble. You have to chose a pedal that works with what you're getting out the amp. Basically, you can't use a pedal to make the amp something it's not.

Duncan, it just depends what tones you like as to what overdrive. I love Rats with my ac30 (any reason you specifically want the deucetone?) and for about 18 months I enjoyed my ocd with it though the result is more mid scooped than the rat. Tubescreamer type pedals and AC30s aren't a terrible combo but I prefer them purely for adding a little grit/ compression to light overdrive as when I try to use them for actual distortion/rhythm tones the result is a bit middy and boxy for my tastes.

The reason I'm into the Deucetone is because I used to have one, then I sold it to the other guitarist in my band...and he's going to sell it back to me for $80 (I found out he's going to sell it back to me after I started this thread lol).

I also like the flexibility of the Deucetone, with the whole 2 channels thing. I can have a lower gain, and a higher gain. I've heard the Deucetone's sound close enough to the old rats that 90% of people can't tell the difference.

• Members

I also like the flexibility of the Deucetone, with the whole 2 channels thing. I can have a lower gain, and a higher gain. I've heard the Deucetone's sound close enough to the old rats that 90% of people can't tell the difference.

That's cool. The low gain rat sound is really good, and I can't help but feel they'd stack really well together. Hmmm. maybe I should get one :D

• Members

They're just picky and they won't let you use a dirt pedal to change the fundamental tone coming out the amp.
It'll always have flabby bass, loads of mids and what some call "blizzard of nails" treble
. You have to chose a pedal that works with what you're getting out the amp. Basically, you can't use a pedal to make the amp something it's not.

wow, you should probably be a vox salesman with a pitch like that.

so you're saying i should have used a pedal that works well with flabby bass and blizzard of nails treble. why do people like these things, other than the whole beatles thing?

Archived